Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,909,179 times

Advertisements

Went for a ride yesterday evening, kind of to test out the new transportation and to see the fall colors.

Being a new vehicle, it has to pass very stringent EPA testing, so we took two Senior EPA inspectors along with us, to test for illegal emmisions.

They gave us a thumbs up, so we proceeded down the valley to see the colors.

Then we parked and got out and walked around a bit. (this picture actually taken a couple days ago, but show's whole rig).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM

448 posts, read 1,193,770 times
Great setting, for a drive like that!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,811 times
Default Thank You Very Much for your info

I'm about to retire as a police officer in a crime infested city in southern California. I grew up in the country and cannot wait to retire in Wyoming. A lot of cops retire there to get away from the crime infested cities that we work in to keep the peace. I've done some extensive research on Wyoming and am looking at retiring in Cody, Wyoming. Thank you very much for the info.

Quote:
Wyomings beauty is second to none or any place I have ever lived and I have lived in about 30+ states. I've seen a lot of this country, camped, ski'd, fished, hiked, hunted, partied, and just existed waiting for a chance to leave a particular area.

You will not find better hunting if you are into Antelope, Deer, Bear, Elk, Moose, Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Lions, Turkey, Pheasant, Duck, Geese, etc.

There is nothing like setting up a tent at 9,000 ft in the middle of August. Wake up in the morning and get a fire started so you can put coffee on to boil. Walk back through snow to get a ways from camp and take care of business, if you know what I mean. Get a cast iron skillet on the fire and get some bacon frying and while that's going, mix up some pancake batter and get some eggs out. I don't know if it's the elevation, the clear air, the brisk cold morning in August, the snow, or just the activities that keep you going, but for some reason you are going to eat about 3 times the breakfast that you do on your stove at home. About 9 or so, most of the show is melted and it's time to get your fishing gear together and wander down to the stream to see if you can catch some brookies. At that time of day, it's catch and release. Either get ou there early so you can cook them up for breakfast, or catch some rainbow, browns, or cutthroats (state fish) for supper. The rest of the day, catch and release. No need to try and catch a bunch of fish for later, because "later" you can still catch enough for supper and they'll really be fresh. By 11 it's time to fire up the 4 wheeler. If you still have a jacket on, you'll shed that within the next hour because by 1 or so, it'll be 80 degrees.

We have the Red Desert for recreation with 4 wheelers, horseback, dune buggies, etc. Camping out there is terrific. You are, however, more exposed to the elements. Wind or storms, bright sun, you'll see it all. Foscle hunting, observing wild game, will keep you busy all day and well into the evening. People downplay the Rawlins to Rock Springs area, and they don't fully understand. The Red Desert is the largest desert area in North America and it hosts the largest Elk Herds in the Lower 48. It's not uncommon to set and observe a heard of over 50 bulls running together, or a herd of over 1000 crossing the road and causing a traffic jam.

The high plains have a reord number of hunters after the ellusive antelope. Several US records come out of Eastern Wyoming, every year. People don't realize that there are several elk herds by Keyhole State Park, just a short ways NorthEast of Gillette. Even the small hill country along the Powder River is full of elk. There are several things in that area that grow and are native to that part of the state, to include sage brush, the largest eco system, elk, antelope, oil wells, coal mines, and jackalope. People say that oil wells and coal mines don't grow. They need to come by and take a look, and then 5 years later, come and take a look again.

Fishing and hunting are outstanding, just about anywhere you go in the state. Wyoming is one of the few states that allow you to get a "Lifetime" fishing, hunting, small game, game bird and conservation stamp. It's kind of nice to not have to remember to renew things like that every year.

People in Wyoming are tough. I'm not talking about the McMansion dwellers that are here for a few weeks every year, but the residents that live here year round, the people that build a life, a business, a family, friends, that carve this state into what it is. I say carve because you don't mold Wyoming, you carve it, it's much too tough to mold. People here will endure the -40 temps and 60+ mph winds. They'll put up with being snowbound and unable to go to the store for days every winter. Most folks have to reason to go to the grocery store every other day. Folks have freezers and pantrys and I seldom find a home that doesn't have a 6 week or more supply of food. I meesly snowstorm is nothing to be excited about, even if the power is out. A few years ago I saw the news talking about Chicago got 3-6 inches of snow. The city was devastated, grocery stores had empty shelves, people were in a panic and FEMA was investigating what was needed. They had already spent millions on desaster relief for the area and were going to spend more. The state activated the National Guard and were digging out people, providing heaters because of no power and they were moving people to shelters that had generators. The same storm his the South East quarter of the Wyoming, dropping over 20 inches of snow and shutting down everything. Only that didn't hit the news. We didn't activate the national guard, our shelves were not empty at the stores, they didn't even unlock any of the shelters. People that were snowed in, got relief from what we call, here in Wyoming, "Neighbors". They didn't worry about power being out because the wood stove doesn't require power. All it requires is a little ambition to get off our butt and go out to the wood pile and bring back an arm full of wood every now and then. They didn't have TV and for a lot of those folks, they didn't notice. Not only was Government relief not offered, but it wasn't expected.

As many people have said, Wyoming is not for everybody and a person should come and visit a couple of times to experience the harsh times of year. So many people come a couple times in the summer and then blow a bunch of their savings to move here. The next year, after one fairly decent winter, you see the moving van backed up to their door. Then they do nothing but badmouth the state saying, "It's too isolated, you drive miles and miles to get anywhere, the weather is harsh and extreme, the whole state is backwards, people are slow, they do things on their schedule, they don't understand that I need it right now." Truth be known, that's exactly the same reasons that residents love Wyoming.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-10-2013 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote marks

Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 PM

6,245 posts, read 5,035,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgonzalessoobahk1 View Post
I'm about to retire as a police officer in a crime infested city in southern California. I grew up in the country and cannot wait to retire in Wyoming. A lot of cops retire there to get away from the crime infested cities that we work in to keep the peace. I've done some extensive research on Wyoming and am looking at retiring in Cody, Wyoming. Thank you very much for the info.
Lots and lots of retired LEO's in Cody. My husband is one of them. You'll love it here.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,690,909 times
One or two retired LEO's in Sheridan, too. Great place - we love it.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,201,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Lots and lots of retired LEO's in Cody. My husband is one of them. You'll love it here.
Have to agree. My husband was in L.E. in Montana for several years. He now has a "retirement" type job in Cody and loves it. I am from Wyoming so already knew I would love Cody!

Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 AM

12 posts, read 26,473 times
Life in Wyoming = WONDERFUL!!!

Just remember three things:
Knives are sharp;
Guns are loaded;
We kill things and eat them

Welcome to Wyoming!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,026 times
Default dreams

My future husband has been to Wyoming I have never been out of Pennsylvania but I love the man till even in death we will never part so I am so looking forward to my retirement in this beautiful state but as I told him I must have a fireplace and a horses

Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,026 times
Default jackson hole

So what is Jackson hole like? Any cool old farm houses to buy? Must have at least two or more fireplaces and two staircases

Old 01-02-2014, 01:31 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,955,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallatoreb View Post
So what is Jackson hole like? Any cool old farm houses to buy? Must have at least two or more fireplaces and two staircases
No worries, you can find "cool old farm houses to buy" in the area ... or maybe, they'll be ranch houses ... and maybe they'll have more fireplaces and lots of staircases, too. Built years ago by affluent farmers who had nothing else to do with all their money.

One quick call to a local real estate agency will fix you right up. You might even hit the marketplace just right and find one move-in ready at a bargain price for only mid 7-figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming