Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 PM

83 posts, read 238,501 times

Advertisements

Rumor has it that after Ted Turner bought up all the land that makes up his ranch he, later, turned buffalo loose on it to run free like their ancestors did. As it turns out that was a smoke screen to divert old timers attention to the dangers the buffalo posed to the cattle industry and while they battled that front, TT started smuggling democrats in under the shield of darkness. Eventually the buffalo tore up fences and the dems escaped and scattered all over MT. Though the government tried to vaccinate the public against the spread of democrats, the fiercely independent republican base resisted government intervention and look what you've got.. democrats living side by side with republicans

Joking aside; I think several posters have hit upon the reason. Wyoming has a higher percentage of "home grown" residents and growing up in Wyoming meant, as the smallest state, that the Fed government paid little attention to us. As a result most the population became much more independent and self sufficient and consequently resists the attention of the federal government now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,291 times
We here in Wyoming have brains and can think,read,and can educate ourselves.....we don't need the liberal media telling us(or cramming down our throats)what to think or how to vote.....Sure Obama got crushed here in Wy, because on these long cold nights we are watching and learning....thanks too FOX NEWS and Bill O'Reily.We will continue to vote Republician.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
And this is why I want to move back to Wyoming and out of the liberal state of Minnesota! Just need to find that job

Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Although Wyoming is primarily a Republican, conservative state, there are still some of us Democrats left. I am not super Liberal or far Left by any means. I just happen to agree with the Democratic party on a few more issues than I do with Republicans. I am still a firearm toting girl and believe in rights, though. I guess I would be better off as a "middle-of-the-road" independent if I really thought about it. My views are more for individual choice. I don't judge others by their views or by their choices. I guess I'm not a very good Democrat! I just wanted to make this statement as one poster said that "we" are Republicans. As a lifelong Wyoming girl (but I did live in Billings for 13 years and did notice the above mentioned differences in Wyoming and Montana) I feel I still have the values and down-home attitude of most native Wyomingites. I am offended that someone would write insinuating that if we are not Republican that we don't have brains or can't think for ourselves. I am a Master's Degree educated woman who holds a high position in a school district. I feel that I am very intelligent in many ways. No one tells me "how to vote" or "how to think", I am very capable of doing so myself. For those of you who aren't very familiar with Wyoming, I don't want you to think that all of us are so close-minded! I don't want to be judged because I am listed as a Democrat on my voter registration!

Last edited by georgiainwyo; 10-15-2012 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
And this is why I want to move back to Wyoming and out of the liberal state of Minnesota! Just need to find that job
Just an addition to my other post on this thread.....I have tons of friends here and elsewhere who are staunch Republicans. Froggie, for example, is a good friend, and we know that we just have to agree to disagree on some political issues. We are still soul sisters and love each other for who we are!!!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Good for you, Georgia. I'm a registered Republican, but sometimes I think I should be an independent. Yet when I look at my ballot, it's mostly a straight Republican vote... which brings up a point.

In Wyoming you must be registered as a Republican or Democrat to vote in the primaries. And the majority of the real state, county and national "races" are on the Republican ticket across most of Wyoming, although city council and mayoral races are nonpartisan. I think a lot of people register as Republicans because they want to vote for certain candidates in the primary elections. That doesn't stop them from voting for whomever they please in the general election, although it's obviously highly weighted toward the GOP too.

It would be a little tough running for office as a Democrat in Wyoming, but it's certainly not impossible to win at it. We've had about as many Democratic governors as we've had Republicans, for some reason. Since I moved here 42 years ago, Democrats have occupied the governor's mansion for 28 years and Republicans for 14. In other words, for local and state offices, it's the person we vote for. Many Wyomingites are less apt to vote Democrats into national office, I think, because they don't want their U.S. Representatives and Senators siding with the Washington liberals.

At least that's the way I see it....

Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times
In 20-30 years there is a good chance Wyoming and Montana both turn Democrat. Both states are kind of like the Vermont and New Hampshire of the west coast. You might have a lot of Califorina people coming there to retire in a few decades turning the states blue.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresainwyoming View Post
We here in Wyoming have brains and can think,read,and can educate ourselves.........thanks too FOX NEWS and Bill O'Reily.
Whatever.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
In 20-30 years there is a good chance Wyoming and Montana both turn Democrat. Both states are kind of like the Vermont and New Hampshire of the west coast. You might have a lot of Califorina people coming there to retire in a few decades turning the states blue.
all the Califorina that have move to my area vote Republican

Old 10-15-2012, 07:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
all the California that have move to my area vote Republican
It's the same in Uinta Couny and Park County. The Californians who come here are some of our strongest conservatives. Let's not forget that it's only a few years since California was a Republican state. Let's not forget either that the people who first went there were some mighty tough people, the same kind who come to Wyoming now.

This is hard country, windswept and desolate. But tough people come here for what we offer and I can put that in one word, freedom. Some call themselves Republicans; some libertarians or conservatives; some third party. They all hate big government and my welcome mat is out for them.

OK, right wingers, the Free State of Wyoming is here. What are you waiting for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming