Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 AM

53 posts, read 90,726 times

Advertisements

Well good morning folks,

Roadtrip time again: My mom and I will be out that way May 10th - 19th, planning on a few things, but would like info on any off the beaten path must see while out there. How are these below, good, bad, indifferent? We love to find and do things some things are touristy and mostly things that are unusual. We have all kinds of interests so nothing is that off the wall for us. Will be doing Wyoming, Yellowstone, and some of lower Montana. We kind of go by the seat of our pants, not really any plans, just drive and enjoy!!

Thanks for all the info in advance!

PS pray for good weather for us, not that I care, I live in Maine, but da momma's coming from Florida.... yikees !!

Happy_Jack_Road-Cheyenne_Wyoming
Wyoming State Museum
Nelson_Museum_of_the_West-Cheyenne_Wyoming
Thermopolis, WY
Wyoming_Dinosaur_Museum-Thermopolis_Wyoming
Hot_Springs_Historical_Museum-Thermopolis_Wyoming
Merlin's Hide Out

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-23-2012 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: New users cannot post links, so I cleaned it up so it's readable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:23 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,299,856 times
going to thermop take your time going down thru Wind River Canyon...might even see Big Horn sheep

Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 AM

Jody thanks, Nature freak that I am I will definetley... thanks

Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,219,628 times
Heading to Thermop ... don't pass up the public access Hot Springs Pool in the park complex. It's free, although you are limited to 20 minutes in the pools; you must choose between the indoor pool or the larger outdoor pool. A pretty nice facility, too. Of course, if you want a longer soak or other facilities, the private ones adjacent can be had for around $7 ....

Heading up Happy Jack from Cheyenne, it's worthwhile to head into some of the public parklands in the Veedauwoo area. Curt Gowdy park is there, but there's also some county parklands further West from Cheyenne that are readily accessible by your vehicle for some distance. Park where you can just off the roadway and walk in on the paths ... there's wildlife, rock formations, and some park benches placed along the streams in isolated locations. Pack in a lunch and it's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours in a very lightly used area. The hiking trails are as strenuous or easy as you choose to take. With the weather of late here, there may yet be a lot of greenery to be found this year. If hiking in isn't high on your list of priorities, then you can access the Veedauwoo area just off of I-80 from the south side where you can drive in to a campsite or picnic site in the National lands. The road there in is a bit rough but very passable with a car to reach the picnic sites and still in the rock formations area.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-23-2012 at 07:53 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 11:28 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,089,307 times
If you get into the Big Horn Mountains, there is always Meadowlark Lodge and lake. Get off the beaten trail and there is Tie Flume on Black Mountain Road off of Hwy 14. Bear Lodge is a nice place to stop for a burger. Sibley normally has moose somewhere around it. I've never failed to see one or more almost every trips up in the mountains.

In the Sheridan/Buffalo area. The Occidental Hotel in Buffalo. Going North towards Sheridan there is the site of the Fetterman massacre. When you get in close to Story Wyoming, you will find the site of the Wagon Box Fight.

In Sheridan there are several places to visit, such as Trail End. Fort Phil Kearny. The Bozeman Trail went all through this area. Matter of fact, the cabin I live in is setting on top of it. There is also King Rope, a famous saddlemaker that turned everything into a museum. Head North out of Sheridan to Ranchester Wy and you can visit the Connor Battlefield. From there, you are just a short distance from the Custer Battlefield in Crow Agency Montana.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
If you get into the Big Horn Mountains, there is always Meadowlark Lodge and lake. Get off the beaten trail and there is Tie Flume on Black Mountain Road off of Hwy 14. ...
Do take this route through Big Horns

and see this
Quote:
Veedauwoo area.
I also consider these "don't miss" (South Central / east WY, Near, but west of Laramie)
Snowy Range Scenic Byway
Saratoga (more free hot springs)
Encampment, nice museum (This is an ez hit, if you enter / leave WY via Ft Collins, Poudre Canyon / Waldon, CO (a very nice and scenic drive)

Devil's Tower is nice in NE WY, but can be included with a (NW) SD Black Hills tour.

Some folks really like Cody and museums / Downtown

Of course... The Tetons (which I prefer to Yellowstone, just due to crowds and LOW MPH roads.)

This is a 'must see, but not open yet in May. (Beartooth Hwy) http://byways.org/explore/byways/2281

Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,968,181 times
Are you going to Yellowstone at all?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM

You are all the best and very nice to offer suggestions, I will look into each of these and if you think of any more, please do share!! Loving all the help and I have of course started my count down of 47 days !!! I am soooo excited, love my roadtrips, especially with my momma...

I'll keep checking in and keep ya'll posted.

Remember spring is here: Time to wet our plants !!
Couldn't resist that one !

Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM

Sorry WyoEagle forgot to answer you... Yes, we are staying at Old Faithful Snow Lodge for 2 nights. Otherwise we are wide open for any ideas !! Thanks

Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
going to thermop take your time going down thru Wind River Canyon...might even see Big Horn sheep

Just check that out! WOW !! Looks great to me! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming