Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 PM

231 posts, read 785,076 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious what it's like in Powell. Just saw a job opening that I'm qualified for there, but I think I'll hold off applying till I know a little more about the place.

From the town's web site and pictures online, it seems like a nice enough place. But does anyone on here know what it's like to live there? I'm a single low-maintenance guy who doesn't need lots of frills. Don't really care about whether a place has diversity or great night life or any of that kind of stuff. If I wanted that I'd be looking at bigger places. I'm comfortable going to the same one or two corner bars and hanging out with a small number of people.

Just wondering what the overall quality of life is there, or in that area. Expensive? Are the locals friendly? Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,699 times
Been there couple years ago now............great town, folks are great, town of around 6000 is tidy. Community college town, hospital, adult care facility, some hometown shopping etc...all that's needed, or alot more seems to be there or not real far. Big city of Billings is less than 2 hrs. away...............Great location to me; I'm there later in life. I'm a fan of the place. Pretty good weather for Wyoming overall I'd add.

Not much said on here about the place but I like Powell. Visit there for sure! Maybe get to know another from there and chat; noone on this board there it seems.

Search threads and topics on here for a little more. If you really like the place, learn it's history from reclaimation and farming. A few good detailed readings out there if Googled.

Later,
Mike

Last edited by Goin'toasquarestate; 05-12-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 08:25 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
I'm just curious what it's like in Powell. Just saw a job opening that I'm qualified for there, but I think I'll hold off applying till I know a little more about the place.

From the town's web site and pictures online, it seems like a nice enough place. But does anyone on here know what it's like to live there? I'm a single low-maintenance guy who doesn't need lots of frills. Don't really care about whether a place has diversity or great night life or any of that kind of stuff. If I wanted that I'd be looking at bigger places. I'm comfortable going to the same one or two corner bars and hanging out with a small number of people.

Just wondering what the overall quality of life is there, or in that area. Expensive? Are the locals friendly? Etc.
I don't live in Powell, but from what you've described you will fit in most places in Wyoming.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I really like Powell, it is one of my WY choices. I Have friends who grew up there and still farm nearby, I have visited / done business there occasionally for 50 yrs. I have stayed in the FREE city park campground many times.

It would suit me fine. I don't have a high social need, but I do appreciate having and being a good neighbor. (which you will find in most WY towns / areas). A significant + for Powell is that is has an ag centric economy / community. It does not see the transient workforce and high prices of an energy town. (+/-) But a SIGNIFICANT + if you plan to live there. If you have a substantial job offer, THAT WOULD BE GREAT. Decent paying jobs (with stability) are hard to find in much of WY.

I really like Powell's people, and proximity to MT, Cody, Yellowstone, Thermopolis. I also am a huge fan of "The Merc" (Community owned merchantile), and being that Powell is NOT too popular, it retains a very nice quality of life, and few growth pains.

I would seek more info about college, as that can be a HUGE asset to residents / community.

The down side for me is FAR access to an international airport. At some point I will be tired of traveling, and IF I am still healthy and can afford the fuel required to live as remote as Powell (from a major city with significant healthcare).

I had my dad at Sheridan, WY VA for many yrs, It would be another good choice if you require more than Powell has to offer.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
Just a couple of comments. I think I may have heard recently that the Merc in Powell was closing. Anyone else hear that?

As far as thinking Powell is far away from an international airport, I'm wondering if that means an airport where you can get direct international flights. If so, yes, it is quite far. However, the Billings airport is known as an international airport.....from there you typically make one connection to longer domestic destinations but there are some direct flights. Of course international flights would have to go out of the larger, mostly coastal airports. With the Billings airport being only an hour & a half from Powell, that's pretty darn good for Wyoming standards!

When my daughter & her husband were in college in Powell they loved it there. They live in Cody now, where they moved after finishing school at UW. She said she would prefer living in Powell but they chose Cody due to her husband's job. They say they loved everything about Powell!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
My Great Aunt & Uncle were homesteaders in Powell ~ 1913. I have visited the town twice, the last time in 2010. I still think of retiring there....but wonder about the health facilities.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
My Great Aunt & Uncle were homesteaders in Powell ~ 1913. I have visited the town twice, the last time in 2010. I still think of retiring there....but wonder about the health facilities.
Solution: She and I just got a new Nordic Track, 950 treadmill for walking; it's the cats-ass; get one of them. Buy one and take it to Powell, LOL!

The Merc, if closing..would make a terrific little fitness club for that town; to bad if so, but a great new idea could spring up right there Popcorn! Do it! Meet there!

Last edited by Goin'toasquarestate; 05-15-2012 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 PM

My informant there said not closing, or at least not heard of that, but understands why. As for fitness places, there's 2-3 there already.........I never seent them but I was just passin' thru/short term visit to Powell.

Later.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
I was referring to hospitals/doctors.....not fitness places

Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I was referring to hospitals/doctors.....not fitness places
Oh, of course

There's a hospital; also an elderly care home from my understanding.

Guess one'd have to ask a very local how the hospital, physicians and care is there........if only 1 'er 2 of the near 6000 there get onto this board; help us out.

take it easy,
Mike

Last edited by Goin'toasquarestate; 05-18-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming