Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:49 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times

Advertisements

New show starting next Sunday on A&E set in the fictional Absaroka County Wyoming:

"Longmire" (2012) - News

Youtube trailer:

A&E "Longmire" Series Trailer, based on the Walt Longmire Mysteries by Craig Johnson - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
I've read some of the books, excellent. I'm looking forward to the series.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 AM

540 posts, read 1,909,833 times
Is it actually filmed in Wyoming though?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Is it actually filmed in Wyoming though?
It's not. I read something somewhere yesterday that it is actually filmed in New Mexico (Santa Fe), which is disappointing. Saw the first episode last night. Pretty mediocre.

Maybe that's a good thing. Alaska has been inundated over the past few years with new residents as a result of all the shows they have staged up there. Folks mesmorized by and looking to live the Alaskan life portrayed on those shows. I don't want the same thing to happen to Wyoming.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM

64 posts, read 138,311 times
Don't worry it won't.

Casting call went out last year in Santa Fe, NM and the opening scenes were filmed Valle Grande caldera in the Jemez Mountains near Los Alamos. Wyoming won't pony up any production money and doesn't have a studio capable of showing rushes.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 PM

540 posts, read 1,909,833 times
Don't you just love movies that have specific state in the title or in their plot, yet they are not filmed there? Like the Hugh Grant movie "Did you hear about the Morgans?" The only think that looked like it was in Wyoming was maybe the Cody Wyoming airport. Not sure if they filmed the Rodeo scenes in Cody but otherwise it was filmed in NM as well.
Won't be the last, I'm sure.
I do want to check out this Longmire show though.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,191 times
Show's premise sounds good and interesting, hope the locales are mostly genuine; I'll be watchin' that show, and Hell on Wheels.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Over on the WY author thread we like the Longmire pilot! The town is Las Vegas, NM. I just watched it again (DVR), and liked it even better the 2nd time around.

Whether a show is filmed where it is supposed to take place has very little to do with authenticity these days, and everything to do with a state's film commission. If they can advertise and sell their facilities, they get the movie contracts. The northern New Mexico location has sort of a generic NW look to it, and (like I said over on the other thread) I'm just happy they're shooting it in the US and not in Canada or Mexico!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 PM

254 posts, read 878,828 times
I watched it last night--and I liked it. I'll now probably watch the whole series. As soon as I saw the scenes of "in town," though, I knew it wasn't filmed here. While I haven't been to every single town in WY, I've certainly been through all of them that could support a population of "that" size--and it sadly wasn't familiar.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM

83 posts, read 238,326 times
After watching the "Hatfields and McCoys" on the History channel I was looking forward to seeing this series partiuclarly since it was set in Wyoming. Maybe that set my expectations too high because we DVR'd it Sunday and watched it last night. It almost got too the point of looking forward to the next commericial.

Another show that depicts Wyoming's population as a bunch of simple cowboys that live in a world that is about 40 years behind the times. The "Mayberry" little jail was tops on the list.... I almost expected to see Otis the town drunk sitting in it. Some of the material in the dialogue, as it pertains to Wyoming, was even wrong.

I've talked to a lot of people that really liked the books, but this production company apparently couldn't translate it into a good movie. My first clue should have been Lou Diamond Phillips as one of the main characters.

I will probably watch the next one just to make sure it is as bad as I thought.... maybe with my expectations brought back to earth with a big thud, I might warm up to it a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming