Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 15,570 times

Advertisements

Why?? it's a pretty state, like the ones around it but yet it has less people (less than DC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:54 PM

3,641 posts, read 3,769,644 times
So many reasons. But, on a purely practical side we really don't have enough water to sustain much life of any kind.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,064,272 times
Take the time to read the threads that have developed here on C-D to gain some insight into the issues that present in this state ....

It's had a long history of being a difficult area due to climate, water, and soils to support ranching ... and yet, that is the highest and best use for much of the land here. It's not uncommon to need well over 100 acres per cow/calf unit to support them in the better years; in comparison, many other ranching areas around the country can accomodate 30 head per acre.

Similarly, farming is a lower yield proposition than in many other states. For example, we took a livestock buying trip to Ohio a couple of years ago, where the dryland farmers were on their 2nd cutting of the most gorgeous alfalfa I'd ever seen. They were all expecting 4 or more cuts for that year. In comparison, here in Wyoming, alfalfa is rarely grown to any tonnage except on irrigated land, with 2 cuts per year being a typical yield. Even in Colorado, just South of where I am in SE Wyoming ... it's not uncommon to see them get 3 cuts of nice stuff compared to our 2 "just OK" cuts, and oft-times, they can get 4 cuts while we still struggle to see the prospect of a 3rd cut not materialize.

Wyoming's extractive industries have historically been coal, then trona, with the more recent oil/gas play. It's nowhere near as glamorous or has the attraction of instant huge wealth as areas with gold or silver mining. Coal has always been a hard job, not well paid in years past. Regionally, look up the Ludlow massacre to find out how the unions came into play for the workers here ....

Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 PM

24 posts, read 55,434 times
A couple mining towns, gillette: Average household income 75,000 in 2009 46,000 in 2000. Average home value 206,000 in 09 91,000in 2000. Wright: 85,000 in 09 was 52,000 in 00 house value 207,356 and it was 80,000 in 2000. I cant find the statistics but know first hand the income has gone up since 09 by around 10,000. Also keep in mind these numbers are mostly with one person working. It is hard work with lots of paid time off, good medical benifits and a pension. Once my children are off and away I might go to work there so double the above income go for a 10 year pension and we can retire comfortably by the time Im 55 sounds worth the hard work to me.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,192,407 times
There's really one reason. Jobs. People go where there's work - good jobs. Gillette has boomed to its current 30K population because it's had jobs. Western North Dakota is experiencing that now too. It's not because of climate or pretty landscapes, and the lack of water or good soil hardly slows growth. (Look a Phoenix.) People move to make better lives for themselves and their families. If they can't make a living in Wyoming, they can't make the move.

Granted, once a city has a sizable and available workforce, businesses will consider that when relocating, but it still comes down to jobs/available income as priority no. 1. Those who move to an area for its scenic beauty won't stay long if they don't have an income.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 AM

788 posts, read 1,734,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloclick View Post
A couple mining towns, gillette: Average household income 75,000 in 2009 46,000 in 2000. Average home value 206,000 in 09 91,000in 2000. Wright: 85,000 in 09 was 52,000 in 00 house value 207,356 and it was 80,000 in 2000. I cant find the statistics but know first hand the income has gone up since 09 by around 10,000. Also keep in mind these numbers are mostly with one person working. It is hard work with lots of paid time off, good medical benifits and a pension. Once my children are off and away I might go to work there so double the above income go for a 10 year pension and we can retire comfortably by the time Im 55 sounds worth the hard work to me.
Wyoming is the 'boom and bust' state. These numbers can change practically overnight - for better or worse. How do you know when your children are 'off and away' that the coal mine will still be open? I recall recently hearing that there were layoffs due to declining demand.....

Old 07-09-2012, 03:35 AM

24 posts, read 55,434 times
I guess Ill have to take that chance! Within a few years there will be a 20 year pension for us. Also there are mines to transfer to if need be. There are lay offs in every type of job that Im aware of you just work your butt off and hope its not you then a year later they are hiring again, its life. How do you know it wont work out and have a happy ending for people? Some people need tostop being so negitive. People do the best they can and work hard to raise a family not just in Wyoming but across the country. These issues can happen anywere. Meanwhile are we supposed to live in fear and run away to a less comfortable life?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 AM

3,645 posts, read 6,260,596 times
Our ranch is made up of 5 homesteads side by side, each put up hay , grain, ran a few sheep, some milk cows and pigs and raised a family. Growing up we have a 6 to 8 man hay crew all summer and a hired man most the rest of the year with 2 families living off the place. Then it was just family haying 3 kids and 2 parants driving equiment. Now I have a rotory swather a big rake, round baler and don't have anybody help except for a day here and there when my wife home or one of the kids drop by. The ranch stuggles to support my family with only one son left in college , My Mom, pluse my wife works so we can have health insurance and a little spending money.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,974,882 times
For the most part, it's the "good ole boy" network.

You don't get jobs by going to an employment office, you get jobs by knowing somebody, or knowing somebody that knows somebody.

Don't even think about starting a business, unless you are a long time resident. The City Fathers will shut you down.

If you take a look, Wyomings largest export is our kids. They can flip burgers here, or they can seek a decent job elsewhere.

The reason we don't have a lot of import people is they usually hit the state line with a full tank of gas and are able to get out the other end.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,565,789 times
I've lived in Wyoming for almost ten years after thirty years in Colorado. I've found people to be friendly and welcoming to newcomers. The negative and hostile remarks on this forum are not typical of the people here; you're unlikely to ever hear that sort of talk. Although I'm self-employed and not in the job market I talk to people who are all of the time. No one has ever mentioned some strange refusal to hire people who aren't in their network. I don't hear about layoffs very often but when one coompany is firing another is hiring. People here who wish to work do work; but that's true everywhere. But like everyplace we have some who won't work and they must make their excuses. I have some rental property and hear from them all of the time. They want to write me a letter or meet with me to explain their situation. I rent to people with good credit. The big cities here might be different but who wants to live in a big city?

If you wish to start a business and need help in finding a location or finding out about licensing requirements (if any) again people will help you. Every year Wyoming is rated as the first or second most business friendly state; we seem to bounce back and forth with our neighbor South Dakota. We want new businesses. If you want to open a business come up to Cody. We love to see competion because it means better prices for us consumers. We have right to work and an employer may terminate an employee for any reason or no reason. That's good for both employers and good workers.

It's chillier here than Colorado but not nearly as snowy. That's one reason why I-80 is so crowded with trucks; many companies won't let their drivers take I-70 through the Colorado mountains. Some parts of the state have very little snow as the country is cold desert which is drier and has far fewer species of plants and animals than cold desert.

Wyoming tax laws are easy. We have no personal or corporate state income tax, no inventory or franchise tax, and no inheritance tax. Sales and real estate taxes would rate as low to most people.

Larry Pratt of Gun Owners of America has referred to Wyoming as one of the happy states. Residents don't need any permit to carry concealed; open carry and vehicle carry have never been the subject of any law. There are no restictions on age or private sales. Registration at any level of government is forbidden as are any local ordnances restricting our rights.

In the last presidential election Obama carried a smaller percentage of the Wyoming vote than that of any other state.

If J. Bracken Lee rose from the dead and moved from Utah to Wyoming we'd elect him governor or senator and probably make him a favorite son candidate for president.

If you seek fresh air, freedom, and fun and a great business climate this is the place. That's the reason this old right winger is happy in Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming