Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 PM

307 posts, read 980,561 times

Advertisements

Greetings Folks. I have been on here before and received great help from the locals over the past few years. I currently reside in Fort Collins, CO and desire greatly to move from this whole area to a rural, agriculture-ranch-cowboy based, mountainous, conservative, smaller community.

We visited Sheridan a few months ago and greatly liked it. I have another thread on here about music in Sheridan and realized I still have doubts about the area. Mainly because I want to live in a purist area with the qualities mentioned above. I want to work in the ranching business and possibly have my own ranch when I am older. I have some experience, but not nearly as much as those who have grown up on ranches. However, I am dedicated and appreciate this lifestyle tremendously. I grew up in an agriculture-based community and have spent some time working on a ranch perfroming typical ranch hand duties.

I am not sure if Sheridan is/was the right choice for this lifestyle. I have visited Cheyenne and Laramie numerous times as I live nearby. Both seem to have an element of this lifestyle but am not sure to what or how great of an extent.

We need to be near a city for family medical reasons among others. So, it needs to have medical care and facilities like Sheridan seems to have. As far as Winter goes, we are acclimated easily to Northern Colorado and I am not sure how the varying Winter climates around Wyoming differ. I know Cheyenne has alot more wind but that is not an issue for us. City-Data seems vague on Winter weather, and I know it varies from season to season. I do have a 4X4, but no snow mobile.

If you have any other questions please ask. If you have any advice please give it regarding this issue.

Thanks, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
If your medical needs are satisfied by small Critical Access Hospitals (25-bed, stabilize the more traumatic and ship them), then most of Wyoming will suit your desire for an ag based economy with access to mountains.

Honestly, though, there are few, very few ag jobs near towns. What is "close" for one may seem "far" to another or visa versa. And Wyoming's horse business is tiny compared even to Colorado's front range hobbyist industry, or Texas's sport horse businesses.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Honestly, I think Sheridan would be a great fit for you. Otherwise maybe Powell, Buffalo, or Cody.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
If your medical needs are satisfied by small Critical Access Hospitals (25-bed, stabilize the more traumatic and ship them), then most of Wyoming will suit your desire for an ag based economy with access to mountains.

Honestly, though, there are few, very few ag jobs near towns. What is "close" for one may seem "far" to another or visa versa. And Wyoming's horse business is tiny compared even to Colorado's front range hobbyist industry, or Texas's sport horse businesses.
I understand that the ag jobs may not be near towns. Just looking for the best overall area to live in as per my requirements. We don't need to live in a community as big as Sheridan at all, but it would be nice to be with an hour or so from such community for medical and lifestyle needs. I am willing to live in a town and drive distance to ag work or live near ag work and drive to town when nessecary. Very flexible. Just looking for the best overall area for the needs I mentioned. We don't need to live in a city like Cheyenne at all.

Thanks for your imput so far though, here and on my other thread. I am struggling in finding the right area...really liked Sheridan, but was just not sure if the whole area supported that lifestyle TRULY, or if Sheridan was becoming a Rocky Mountain Resort with a cowboy/old west slant? I am just not that familiar with the area. There are alot of areas like that here in Colorado, that are simply too resort-like. Someone had told me Sheridan was getting to be that way and that there were far less of a ranching community. I don't know if what they said was true or not.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 PM

There are still many ranch families here. And this is still where many ranch people buy groceries, get eyeglasses, etc. There is a growing feeling that the town is less rancher focused and fewer attend activities than in years past. Partly due to the economy, perhaps, partly due to a change in target demographic. And, let's face it, there groups with more recreational money budgeted than ranchers.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
There are still many ranch families here. And this is still where many ranch people buy groceries, get eyeglasses, etc. There is a growing feeling that the town is less rancher focused and fewer attend activities than in years past. Partly due to the economy, perhaps, partly due to a change in target demographic. And, let's face it, there groups with more recreational money budgeted than ranchers.
Yeah, I get what you are saying. Sheridan might be just right. I visited Cody earlier this year as well, although I didn't care for the town and area all that much. I don't particularly want to be that close to yellowstone either, because I don't fancy huge crownds of people. I like it in more rugged mountainous areas, with less folks. Really enjoyed the Big Horns.

Because of where we live, we have been to Cheyenne alot. But the areas seems ever more urban and driving around the countryside I don't see that much cattle grazing. Maybe I just haven't looked hardf enough? I get the feeling that there is less ranching life around Cheyenne. Probably more towards Pine Bluff? I love Wyoming, but want to find the exact right place. I don't mind traveling for ranch work or mountain work etc. at all.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Sheridan might work. So might Lovell, Powell, Riverton, Lander, Sundance, Newcastle, etc. I bet there are places in the southwest corner that I don't know much about. I think all the ones I mentioned have a critical access hospital, at least, and ranches around them.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:27 PM

I am going to look into the Riverton area Online. I have personally visited, Cheyenne and Laramie area as well as the I 80 corridor, Casper, Buffalo, Sheridan and Cody. When I went through Greybull, Powell and Lovell area it was night and wasn't able to stop, but really wanted to. A few weeks ago while in Eastern Idaho, I visited Jackson as well, but I wouldn't want to live there. Its beautiful of course, but too many tourists, celebrities, growth, wealth etc. etc.

What I fear though, is that Sheridan, as wonderful as it seems, is going to become or is already becoming like Jackson Hole? We want a conservative, traditional and agriculture-based Wyoming environment. I thought Colorado would be that way around here but it certainly isn't. I've been wanting to leave here almost as soon as we moved here a few years ago. Just haven't been able to. Please, if you have more ideas or advice, post it!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
I am going to look into the Riverton area Online. I have personally visited, Cheyenne and Laramie area as well as the I 80 corridor, Casper, Buffalo, Sheridan and Cody. When I went through Greybull, Powell and Lovell area it was night and wasn't able to stop, but really wanted to. A few weeks ago while in Eastern Idaho, I visited Jackson as well, but I wouldn't want to live there. Its beautiful of course, but too many tourists, celebrities, growth, wealth etc. etc.

What I fear though, is that Sheridan, as wonderful as it seems, is going to become or is already becoming like Jackson Hole? We want a conservative, traditional and agriculture-based Wyoming environment. I thought Colorado would be that way around here but it certainly isn't. I've been wanting to leave here almost as soon as we moved here a few years ago. Just haven't been able to. Please, if you have more ideas or advice, post it!
I think your fears that Sheridan could become another Jackson are unfounded. Sheridan, for all it's charms, isn't in an isolated valley with the rugged mountains surrounding, nor the ski area development.

I was in Riverton and Lander (camped in Sinks Canyon two nights, wonderful!) this last week ... my preference would be Lander, although Riverton is certainly the larger economic community so has more commercial development there. But it's not that far away when you need it. In either case, if you are looking for irrigated land, it is there. Be prepared to pay dearly for it.

You're about 3 decades too late in Ft Collins ... I can readily recall the 1960's when Ft Collins was still an agrarian area with a modest state college, with highlights of the town being places like JAX old store and the run-down "old town" area. When Boulder got pricey in the 1970-80's, the pressure was on Ft Collins and that's when the development took off.

I'd suggest that there are some areas around Ft Collins that may yet meet your expectations. You'll need to look towards Windsor or Wellington ....

Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I think your fears that Sheridan could become another Jackson are unfounded. Sheridan, for all it's charms, isn't in an isolated valley with the rugged mountains surrounding, nor the ski area development.

I was in Riverton and Lander (camped in Sinks Canyon two nights, wonderful!) this last week ... my preference would be Lander, although Riverton is certainly the larger economic community so has more commercial development there. But it's not that far away when you need it. In either case, if you are looking for irrigated land, it is there. Be prepared to pay dearly for it.

You're about 3 decades too late in Ft Collins ... I can readily recall the 1960's when Ft Collins was still an agrarian area with a modest state college, with highlights of the town being places like JAX old store and the run-down "old town" area. When Boulder got pricey in the 1970-80's, the pressure was on Ft Collins and that's when the development took off.

I'd suggest that there are some areas around Ft Collins that may yet meet your expectations. You'll need to look towards Windsor or Wellington ....
My concern with Sheridan after visiting it for several days a few months ago is this: aside from its charm as a western town with nearby ranching and cowboy culture, it seems to be developing alot of "hip" recreation charm along with golf courses, polo club(s), retirement attraction, multiple listings as the top place to live (which is startlingly the same as Fort Collins), mountain resort(s), and lots of people moving in etc. These are all facets that Colorado has produced as well as the Jackson area, which has attracted hoards of people. Fort Collins can't build fast enough to support the amount of people moving here. You mention Wellington and Windsor? Those places are being engulfed by development as well as Windsor is getting a name for being a "hip" and or "elite" place. Windsor farmers are selling their land I hear tell. Those are places I want to stay away from. I am not saying that it is anything like Jackson, however I don't want to move to a place that is on the brink of developing a similar ideaology as the aforementioned places and becoming "loved to death". Then, as a consequence am forced to move again or live with it in disgruntlement.

We really desire a traditional, family-based Wyoming culture, if we move there. A conservative, ranching/equine community, low key/slow pace near mountains and not too far from a city. We do not intend to buy land any time soon, just renting. We absolutely do not want an environment remotely resembling the Front Range or Fort Collins.

Thanks for your info on both threads it is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming