Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
I think I would have a heart attack if I ran into that many rattle snakes.

The only rattle snake I have ever come across here was up in the mountains, up the Tounge River canyon. It was curled up right in the middle of the path. Made our hike just a bit more interesting A few weeks ago, I found a T. e. vagrans up in the Shell Creek area. Garter snakes have no problem living in higher elevations, they are actually the only snake native to Alaska.

Elkhunter, when you say I named all of the snakes you've seen here, do you mean all of the species I listed, or just the four that I said I had encountered? Right now I am keeping my eyes out for racers, I know there are some that live right around my house and I would love to find one of the little buggers... not very nice snakes, but absolutly beautiful when they are babies!
No, can't say I've seen any racers. We have a couple different Garden viariety, and although I've never found a rattle snake on the place, I have found them less than a mile from here. I have seen one bull snake here. I am right along the Tongue River (150 ft from it). We have horses, chickens and dogs roaming the place so it tends to keep snakes away from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 PM

97 posts, read 183,687 times
A baby rattler met it's end in the hallway of the VA hospital a few months ago...

Old 09-07-2012, 04:55 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,509 times
I've herd there's quite a few rattle snakes around the VA. Do either of you guys know if they are bad out at Acme/Kleenburn?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
I've herd there's quite a few rattle snakes around the VA. Do either of you guys know if they are bad out at Acme/Kleenburn?
Yes, there are a lot of rattle snakes in the Kleenburn reclam project area, the old Acme Ponds that the County has made off limits for disabled.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,509 times
In that case I will not bring my dog out there anymore. I went out there for the first time a few weeks ago, found a few 5ft + bull snake sheds, & wondered if there were also rattlers. Glad I decided to keep my pup leashed & by my side.

After finally getting a chance to get out there & see the place, I can see what you mean about the county cutting off easy access. What they've done is a major PITA. They need to ditch the gravel and pave the trails if they're going to come in and "fix it up". I could hardly stand to walk on the gravel with my mild arthritis (and I am an avid hiker) and my dog refused to walk on it, it hurt her paws. There's no way anyone with a wheelchair, walker, or even cane could get around on the stuff. It's deep, and oddly sized. The fenceing is a PITA too. They should have just left it alone :/

Old 09-09-2012, 05:52 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times
Anyone seen any rattlers in the Cheyenne area? I have property NE of Cheyenne and it would be nice to get a sense of the rattler population in that area.

Thx!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:37 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Anyone seen any rattlers in the Cheyenne area? I have property NE of Cheyenne and it would be nice to get a sense of the rattler population in that area.

Thx!
I've seen a few around Cheyenne (north of). I was in both irrigated hay and in pasture.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 PM

97 posts, read 183,687 times
This is a late reply but my buddy waxed a large rattler across the road from Acme ponds last year. Over, up against the hillside where everyone shoots. I wouldn't shoot there, it's a little too "snakey" looking for me. I hate snakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming