Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times

Advertisements

Cody was mentioned early in your post. I live in Cody now and love it. People are great and there is a lot to do, both in town and out, including all of the outdoor activity you want. I love the proximity to Yellowstone; it is nice to just take a day trip through the park, especially on a spring or fall day when most tourists are gone. Although Cody is considered a tourist town it really doesn't affect how locals live much. The businesses accommodate for the increased number of people in town. I think that because of all the tourists who come from all parts of the world that those in Cody are even more used to people of diversity than a lot of towns are. I have never lived in Sheridan, but I have always liked it there, too. My daughter went to college there her first 2 years and liked the town. Both are small, friendly towns that offer an abundance of outdoor activity and are about the same distance to Billings where more amenities are available when needed. I think you would be happy in either place, but do agree that you need to visit the towns, check out the cost of living in each for yourself, etc. Good luck in your venture!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 01:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Yes, Wyomingites voted against Obama because of his perceived beliefs and policies. But does anyone think that blacks voted nearly unanimously for him strictly because they agreed with his policies and beliefs, that it had nothing to do with his race? But inasmuch as blacks vote overwhelmingly Democratic (this is an established fact) it seems appropriate to let the OP know what political philosophies are common here.

I'm curious about something. Sunsprit and others always stress the need to line up employment before moving here. But neither he nor anyone else has brought it up on this thread. Why is that?

The people who organized Wyoming Territory granted women the vote. A woman is an adult human female. Even in these days of liberal Newspeak the word includes no one else nor did it ever.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Truth is, there aren't a lot of black people here in Cody. The rest of the truth is - I really don't think it matters to most people. I grew up in a very racially charged Southern city where every little thing was about skin color. I haven't seen that here. It seems like the most divisive issue here is about the deer in town. If you do look like a mule deer, then about 1/2 of town will give you dirty looks if you walk into their yard.

Diversity comes in all forms and I've enjoyed more of it here than back home. To me, though, diversity isn't about skin color - it's about differences in people and we have a good bit of that here. My daughter has friends more diverse than she had back home - lots of different religions, nationalities, cultures. We do get to experience people of various different cultures because of lots of tourism. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure there are people here who have tacky attitudes toward different ethnicities and cultures; there are tacky people everywhere. I can honestly say, however, that I have run into far fewer of them here than I did in Memphis.

The one group of people I've known to stand out from the crowd here are vegetarians. Something about this being beef country or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkingPeace View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading these forums for some time now, and finally decided to take the plunge, set up and account and post. I'm a Midwesterner looking for a change. I've visited the Pacific Northwest and the South in my quest to relocate. After much research, I find Wyoming to be a happy medium between the two, and as such, I am interested in moving to either Cody or Sheridan. I've read many good things on this forum about Wyoming and very good advice given to those that desire a new start in varying parts of Wyoming. I enjoy the outdoors and am seeking a peaceful place where I can have some breathing space to just enjoy nature, the community and be myself. My only concern is that I am black (African American if you prefer me to be pc). I personally judge by character and not by color, but it would be naive of me to think that everyone feels that way. I can't speak to why there aren't more black people in Wyoming and frankly, as long as no one tries to chase me out with burning crosses or public shunning, then I don't care. And while I say that, the truth is that I do not want to go anywhere where I am not wanting. Wyoming just seems like the type of place where I can start over, enjoy beautiful communities and some of the best outdoor activities this country has to offer. If i visit, will I find this to be the case? What do you honestly think?

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes, Wyomingites voted against Obama because of his perceived beliefs and policies. But does anyone think that blacks voted nearly unanimously for him strictly because they agreed with his policies and beliefs, that it had nothing to do with his race? But inasmuch as blacks vote overwhelmingly Democratic (this is an established fact) it seems appropriate to let the OP know what political philosophies are common here.

While you may be correct that in the general sense, the political spectrum of blacks across the country voted for Obama as a racial preference, such is not the case with the blacks I've talked with here in Wyoming. If anything, their expressed political views are far more conservative than mine, and it's one of the reasons why they came to Wyoming ... to be in a place where they could hold such opinions without being castigated by their fellows who cannot see past race as the one, the only, overiding issue in their lives.

In all candor, it was not an easy subject to broach with them and I had to let them take the lead in the conversation, but they made it easy with their overt statements about work ethic and their being insulted that they needed affirmative action to be considered as equals in the job market.

I'm curious about something. Sunsprit and others always stress the need to line up employment before moving here. But neither he nor anyone else has brought it up on this thread. Why is that?

I'll quote the OP here as to the questions posted ..."I can't speak to why there aren't more black people in Wyoming and frankly, as long as no one tries to chase me out with burning crosses or public shunning, then I don't care. And while I say that, the truth is that I do not want to go anywhere where I am not wanting. Wyoming just seems like the type of place where I can start over, enjoy beautiful communities and some of the best outdoor activities this country has to offer. If i visit, will I find this to be the case? What do you honestly think?"

Nowhere in the OP's post was a concern yet expressed about the cost of living, climate, jobs, etc. There were apparently more pressing concerns in anticipation of a visit to the area, which does imply that the OP is doing their due diligence to investigate what Wyoming has to offer.

Further, the OP posted that they had been reading many of the posts about Wyoming on this forum already, which would include so many of those mentions that locating a job that paid a livable income here in advance of moving here was advisable.

The people who organized Wyoming Territory granted women the vote. A woman is an adult human female. Even in these days of liberal Newspeak the word includes no one else nor did it ever.
Which is what I posted ... Wyoming was the first state to grant women the right to vote. Is there any ambiguity about that statement? It was a major step forward in universal recognition of rights of all, which is a prevailing attitude I find here in Wyoming to this day.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
Truth is, there aren't a lot of black people here in Cody. The rest of the truth is - I really don't think it matters to most people. I grew up in a very racially charged Southern city where every little thing was about skin color. I haven't seen that here. It seems like the most divisive issue here is about the deer in town. If you do look like a mule deer, then about 1/2 of town will give you dirty looks if you walk into their yard.

Diversity comes in all forms and I've enjoyed more of it here than back home. To me, though, diversity isn't about skin color - it's about differences in people and we have a good bit of that here. My daughter has friends more diverse than she had back home - lots of different religions, nationalities, cultures. We do get to experience people of various different cultures because of lots of tourism. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure there are people here who have tacky attitudes toward different ethnicities and cultures; there are tacky people everywhere. I can honestly say, however, that I have run into far fewer of them here than I did in Memphis.

The one group of people I've known to stand out from the crowd here are vegetarians. Something about this being beef country or something.
I had to laug at your Vegetarian comment...

I am a WHERES THE BEEF kind-of girl myself....

Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 15,213 times
Sunsprit, juneaubond, georgiainwyo, tigergal,

I must offer you my heartfelt thanks. After reading Happy's first post, I sat at my computer thinking, "wow, I think I've just been cyber bullied". But returning to the site today and finding your supportive responses made me smile wholeheartedly, again I thank you. I know that I can never get a true understanding of a place without first visiting it, but it is also helpful to hear about Wyoming through the eyes and hearts of its citizens as a precursor. And noihoforus, I too am a wheres the beef kind of girl, or wheres the elk, or wheres the bison...

Old 09-19-2012, 06:18 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CkingPeace View Post
Sunsprit, juneaubond, georgiainwyo, tigergal,

I must offer you my heartfelt thanks. After reading Happy's first post, I sat at my computer thinking, "wow, I think I've just been cyber bullied". But returning to the site today and finding your supportive responses made me smile wholeheartedly, again I thank you. I know that I can never get a true understanding of a place without first visiting it, but it is also helpful to hear about Wyoming through the eyes and hearts of its citizens as a precursor. And noihoforus, I too am a wheres the beef kind of girl, or wheres the elk, or wheres the bison...

I saw the negative post last night and was pretty amazed. I haven't seen that attitude in WY before this. I was grateful that those you mentioned could post articulate responses. I was just dumbfounded. Admittedly, a way too common state for me.

Hey, but if you like beef, we need to get you in the cow business so you have plenty to do in your spare time and you can fret about the weather and learn to worry about the markets like the rest of us!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM

Sounds like good times to me branDcalf!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Contrary to some of the negativity on here, you will be fine. As long as you are down to earth and a hard worker people in this state will accept you. Since you've lived in the Midwest you probably have some tolerance of cold, but it wouldn't hurt to visit Cody and Sheridan in the winter if you can do it. Come on out, we'd love to have you!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM

WyoEagle, my wool base layers are ready!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming