Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Another myth. Wolves go where the food is.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...31243777_n.jpg
lot of timber where this one was shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,980 times
what a wolf can do to a cow
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...62853233_n.jpg

Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
yes ,and wolves don't live out on the range. They live in wooded areas not out in the scrub brush. there you will see coyotes.

I'm not say'en cattle are not gassed in mountainous areas but most cattle in WY see gentle rolling hills with little to no cover.
Huh? You should have been here for the fall roundup when "THOUSANDS" of cattle were brought off of the Big Horn Mountains where the range up to 9,000+ feet. That is not gentle rolling hills with little to no cover. It takes hundreds, if not thousands of people on horseback to comb those cattle out of deep gullys that you can't even walk down.

You might have seen cattle on gentle rolling hills when you drove through the state, but I would suggest that you get off the interstate and go out and take a look in the mountains. The signs that say "Open Range" and the cattle guards up in the mountains are not there for show.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
I've been to the summit of the highest point of WY , The Grand Teton,
while your state does have some nice mountains only a small percentage of the state is mountainous the rest of it is rather FLAT.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I've been to the summit of the highest point of WY , The Grand Teton,
while your state does have some nice mountains only a small percentage of the state is mountainous the rest of it is rather FLAT.
Somewhat true, but the high prairie supports a lot less cattle than the mountains and foothills do. But the topic is about wolves and where they range. Did you look at Jody's pictures just a couple posts above your post? Doesn't support your theory that wolves are only in the mountains and cattle are only on the prairie. That first picture, do you think maybe they shot the wolve in those mountains 30 miles away and then transported it out on the prairie to take the picture?

McKinsie wolves have a 450-600 mile range that they travel. They don't simply hop from mountain range to mountain range.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 AM

I'm not the tree huger you think I am.
elk hunter, I worked on a cattle ranch in Colorado and a dairy operation in Wi, I at least have a clue. (they have wolves in WI and more of them than WY does)

Wi is having there first hunt this year it got off to a slow start only 4 reported the first weekend and 400 are going to be culled,
The DNR is playing a game as this will result in many more being killed and not to be reported, this will put them back on the endangered list and stop the hunting for years.
This will cause the problem to fester.

Sure, I'm all behind killing a wolf(s) is that come to your ranch or home.
but here is the rub.
state forest is for everyone to enjoy it is set aside for people and wiled animals. Ranchers move cattle up into the state forest where even more wolves reside then b11ch about it. It was put aside for receration & preservation 1st.

but when blood is in the air the macho egomaniacs come out of their tar-paper shacks. we got a kill all of them or...

Then the mountains that are in the wilderness is not open to grassing.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
Wahl... I decided to fire up the generator outside my tarpaper shack so I could respond. lol

You may have a clue, but sure don't have an understanding of the whole picture. Of the symbiotic relationship between recreational use and commercial use of our green spaces and playing places.

Surprise, but many of us in agriculture are also recreationists. We are proud of the care we provide public lands that we lease and appreciate the work of others, both agency and private.

But, you keep missing one point (more than one, but I'll address one): We never fully eliminated wolves in Wyoming. We have never been without wolves in Wyoming. There have always been wolves in Wyoming. We have been co-existing with wolves in Wyoming forever.

You have simply and blindly bought the marketing behind the introduction of a non-native species. Why was that a priority for some? Follow the money.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 AM

I am sorry that you are offended because the residents of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, along with the Fish and Game allowed a "Special Interest Group" to come into our states with an idea of introducing wolves in limited numbers. (30 breeding pairs!) and then later, the SIG from elsewhere, much like you, changed their mind on what they really had in mind and were still fighting when the numbers reached over 1500 wolves. We should have fought that special interest group, tooth and nail. None of them lived here, none of them had a vested interest in business here, but yet they wanted to tell us what we need to do, to do our part with the US.

National Forest is owned by the US, but controlled by the State that it is in. The decisions on the National Forest and use of, is not one person in an office. It is a large number (Thousands) of people, in conjunction with the Federal Government, that get together, toss ideas, research material, form committee's, put out public vote, and then make decisions. Should you want to be part of that decision, move to Wyoming. Please do not stand 1000 miles away and try and make decisions, for us. That is what this special interest group did on wolves.

We are getting a little gun shy on allowing ANYBODY on our lands to do ANY KIND of a study. It has got to the point the people are rudely stopped and questioned on county roads as to why are you here, what are you doing, what do you want? These groups are ruining it for people that DO live here. 30 years ago, I could hunt just about anywhere. I could pull into a ranch, introduce myself, have a cup of coffee and go hunting. Today, I can't get on a ranch unless the owner knows me personally. You have to ask yourself why?

In Sheridan County it is easier for you to purchase drugs than it is for you to find a place and get permission to hunt. That is just plain embarrasing. I don't think it is the local people that are creating that problem.

The agreement of the SIG, the Federal Government, the Fish and Game, the Nation Forest council, and the People of three states agreed to 10 breeding pairs in three major areas. 60 breeding pairs total. They agreed that if the wolves got our of those areas and became a problem with ranch animals, people and such, that they would be thinned out and taken care of. Why do you NOT want these groups to honor their agreement? What is in it for you?

I would not come to your area and demand that the fences be taken down so buffalo can roam like they did 150 years ago, Why is it important that you want to dictate what goes on in our area?

If this years hunt is anything like previous years, the SIG Federal Judge will step in again and stop it. Last year, when Montana tried, the Federal Judge either took advice from or something else from, the SIG and stopped the hunts, short of their agreed upon totals. I didn't think up the number needed to harvest and neither did you, but instead, well educated enviro., game type people, agreed upon numbers that needed to be harvested. I will bet that a judge that does NOT own land, nor even lives in the area, puts a stop to it again this year. Let's wait and see.

I fully expect that wolves will be sighted further and further out than the intended area. We are seeing them in the Big Horns now, however, in our area we can shoot at will as we need no license, there is no quota.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 AM

I'm not offended at all.
I actually said, I can see the need to hunt them.
But I surely offended you.

and I do not support the vigilantism, people are free to travel upon the public roads with out being stooped and accosted.

My response would be it's none of your business and get out of my way
they might have a gun pointed at them also if the need arrases..
This blocking or roads with cheek points is hysteria.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:55 AM

332 posts, read 482,902 times
Well, I don't live in WY, and therefore don't feel I have a right to judge what the local population decides is right for their area. The presumption of outsiders to dictate to a regional group what they should and should not do based on theories and statistics is a microcosm of the bigger issue that is the Federal-State tug-of-war. The imposition of good intended doctrine on a community by a larger, uninformed, and often emotional community, has resulted in an incalculable amount of waste over human history. Just ask the people of Flight 1549 how they feel about the introduction of non-migratory Canada Geese in New York in the 1930s by wildlife management. Now they have to start culling programs to handle their out of control population of a non-native invasive species.

It amazes me still that "educated" people still assume they know better than the people who actually have to live with the problem, and the consequences of the short sided actions of the imposing group. Those people are only interested in lining their pockets, or pursuing their own ideological crusades, and are rarely informed enough to actually contribute a real working solution the the perceived problem. That's what Congress does.

Think about how you feel every time the Federal government tells you what you can and cannot do in your local community, and how that affects your ability to do something in a common sense way. Now shrink that down, and think about how you would feel if someone who didn't live in your area jumped on you for trying to solve a local problem you didn't create. Why do some people feel they are empowered to dictate to others what they can and can't do? Treat others the way you would have them treat you.

Last edited by aiden_is; 10-17-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming