Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 PM

106 posts, read 201,046 times

Advertisements

Greetings...!!!

I am looking into employment in the Sheridan area and was wondering what a $36,000 salary (yearly) was like in Sheridan? Is this a good salary and would I be able to live on it? If I move I'm looking to rent a small house in the Buffalo/Sheridan area and was wondering what the cost of rental homes are like in the area? I love the mountains and would be taking a pay cut to move here. The job has good benefits and a retirement plan, too. THX.

Happy Trails,

MtMtnMan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I would not like to try to live here on that wage. You can always get a few part-time jobs to fill the gap between it and what it will cost to live here, but, as other people have found out, you then don't get much time to enjoy what you moved here for and can't afford it anyway.

There are sites that have housing. Our newspaper and some advertising paper both offer online access. There is also a Sheridan housing page on facebook that offers typical rentals and some sales.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
At $18. an hour, you can survive in Sheridan. Note the key word, survive. You might go out for dinner a couple times a month and you might find a nice apartment that you can afford. For a house, you would not be able to afford much of a place. Sure, there are some hidden Gems out there and you might get lucky and find one, but I would not count on it.

Compared to other places, our energy is inexpensive, but with the harsh winters it can get costly.

I would not take a job for $18. an hour unless there was more to go with it. If there are full benefits, like medical, dental, 401k, bonuses, and real chance for advancement, it's doable, but it's going to be tight.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM

97 posts, read 183,695 times
I live in a pretty run down house. It was the cheapest I could find, probably 1100 sq. feet. $850/Month. Also, just in case it applies, for some reason landlords here (re: real estate agents) fear dogs like the Taliban fears women... It took a while but I found a great guy to rent my house from who let me move my doggy in.

I know when I moved here the internet said that the cost of living here was low. Simply not true, Not at all. I would say it's a 6.5 outta 10. With San Francisco being a 10 and Mobile, AL being a 1.

All that said, it's a nice, relaxing place. Good weather, nice sunrises and tasty trout in every body of water you see. I dunno about $18/hr though...

Old 11-08-2012, 02:31 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default Yo!! Mobile is a ONE????

Quote:
Originally Posted by danweasel View Post
I live in a pretty run down house. It was the cheapest I could find, probably 1100 sq. feet. $850/Month. Also, just in case it applies, for some reason landlords here (re: real estate agents) fear dogs like the Taliban fears women... It took a while but I found a great guy to rent my house from who let me move my doggy in.

I know when I moved here the internet said that the cost of living here was low. Simply not true, Not at all. I would say it's a 6.5 outta 10. With San Francisco being a 10 and Mobile, AL being a 1.

All that said, it's a nice, relaxing place. Good weather, nice sunrises and tasty trout in every body of water you see. I dunno about $18/hr though...
Hey, dan, read the recent City-Data Alabama posts of a lady who recently moved from St. Louis to Mobile (my home town 50 years removed). She finds it expensive!!

It's all in the calculations, I suppose. I hope when we're ready to move I can find 1100 sq ft in Sheridan for $850----and we don't have any animals.

Right now, it's beginning to look more like SE Idaho for us for finding affordable rental housing. But we've got a year to go yet, so who knows.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 11-08-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times
I live in Sheridan and have found a nice home (1400 sq ft) in Sheridan's best area (IMHO) resident hill for 850 a month. The Mrs. and I have had to upgrade a lot (paint/replace stove/replace dishwasher/upgrade bathroom) The landlord is easy to get along with and pays for all the upgrades minus labor. I do the labor and so far he is pleased and we are pleased with the arrangement. We moved from Asheville, NC 3 years ago and the COL here is a little less than there. I am native to Wyoming and will never leave again. I work in the CBM field east of Sheridan and the Mrs. is in retail in downtown. We make about 70 a year combined (minus obama's cut) and do pretty well. Any less and I think we would struggle. Good luck and may GOD bless

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM

322 posts, read 587,727 times
Within the last few days I remember seeing in the Sheridan Press that the average salary in Sheridan was about $37,000/yr.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 AM

106 posts, read 201,046 times
THX for your replies...!!! I would be working for the state and they still offer a traditional pension (hard to find these days) and benefits. I do love the outdoors and I would still get my Yellowstone Public Radio in Sheridan/Buffalo. I like the weather in Sheridan, too (having lived in MT). Sounds like the pay is just slightly below average.

Does anyone have experience working for the state? What did you like/dislike about working for the state.

Happy Trails,

MtMtnMan

Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM

97 posts, read 183,695 times
Oh, I just saw your post, Warden. I actually just made up that rating, hahaha. I was looking at a job in Mobile and I remeber it seeming cheap. At least at the time, right after the spill.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,641 times
I live in Sheridan. Family of 3, living on $30,000 a year just fine. 2 bedroom rental, we pay all utilities ourselves (water, electric/gas, internet, phone) and we have a large dog. We eat out multiple times a month, we take many road trips on a local level (hiking & fishing), we buy plenty of "fun stuff" as well as things to improve our rental house & it's landscaping, and we are still able to put away rainy day money.

Do-able? Heck yes. You just need to budget. Cost of living is a bit high, and it can be a bit difficult to find a reasonable rental at times. We have been in our rental for many, many years. But by all means, it can be done- and then some. Best of luck The Sheridan area is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming