U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,961,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
In all my years in WYoming, I have drove:
1970 Ford F350 2 wd
1970 Ford F250 4wd
1976 Toyota Celica, RWD
1976 Chevy S10 2wd short box
1968 Buick Electra 225, RWD
1997 Lincoln MK VIII, RWD
1985 Ford F250 4WD

I have never had studded tires because I didn't need them. I have carried chains and cables and have had to use them once every 5 years or so and that was because the state required it. I could have driven without them, the new snow on the interstate was 5 inches deep, absolutely no wind.

I first came to Wyoming in 1972 building I-90. I have never been in the ditch unless I intentially went in to pull somebody out. I have never owned a Front Wheel Drive, they are worthless. Well, not totally. They are fine on roads and you are inexperienced. When the gates are closed, our highway patrol still patrol the highway looking for stranded motorists. They drive REAR WHEEL DRIVE cars. Must be a reason.

I never even got the Toyota Celica stuck. I have never put snow tires on my vehicles. I always bought an all terrain type or all purpose, less aggressive tire.

Anything you drive into Wyoming is fine. But remember this. When it's a bad storm (happens maybe twice a year) get the hell off the road, you have no business out there. Half your speed and double your stopping distance. You will be fine.
Well put, EH.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 AM

380 posts, read 885,532 times
Quote:
In all my years in WYoming, I have drove:
1970 Ford F350 2 wd
1970 Ford F250 4wd
1976 Toyota Celica, RWD
1976 Chevy S10 2wd short box
1968 Buick Electra 225, RWD
1997 Lincoln MK VIII, RWD
1985 Ford F250 4WD

I have never had studded tires because I didn't need them. I have carried chains and cables and have had to use them once every 5 years or so and that was because the state required it. I could have driven without them, the new snow on the interstate was 5 inches deep, absolutely no wind.

I first came to Wyoming in 1972 building I-90. I have never been in the ditch unless I intentially went in to pull somebody out. I have never owned a Front Wheel Drive, they are worthless. Well, not totally. They are fine on roads and you are inexperienced. When the gates are closed, our highway patrol still patrol the highway looking for stranded motorists. They drive REAR WHEEL DRIVE cars. Must be a reason.

I never even got the Toyota Celica stuck. I have never put snow tires on my vehicles. I always bought an all terrain type or all purpose, less aggressive tire.

Anything you drive into Wyoming is fine. But remember this. When it's a bad storm (happens maybe twice a year) get the hell off the road, you have no business out there. Half your speed and double your stopping distance. You will be fine.

I have been driving for 40 years. I have had 2 4 wheel drive vehicles, 2 rear wheel and 3 front wheel. I lived for 10 years in Whistler Canada, 8 years in Glacier National Park Canada and 13 years in Wyoming. That means I have experience a good variety of conditions and some of the deepest snow anywhere on a regular basis.

No one needs snow tires or studs that is the truth, you can always carry chains and put them on when you need them or get off the road when it is bad.

Sometimes you can't get off the road in all but the most extreme situations because other people depend on you.

My front wheel drive cars and vans have always out performed the others in 95% of the situations. I get up the hill where I live with out using chains or 4W when all my neighbors have to use 4W. I have been up and down the hills in Jackson all winter with a front wheel drive and studs when every other vehicle had to chain up.

Your experience may be different but it does not make it the only answer or even the best one. Each person needs to look at all the options and then decide what is right for them and their situation.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM

332 posts, read 443,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
Your experience may be different but it does not make it the only answer or even the best one. Each person needs to look at all the options and then decide what is right for them and their situation.
I think the truth to all this back and forth comes down to experience and skills. As your experiences have molded your set of driving skills over the years, you have gained the confidence to voice your opinion as a proven solution. And I imagine Brian's experiences shaped his driving skills along a different, but equally effective set of solutions. I think both of you have proven it's not the equipment, it's the skill and experience with the equipment.

So you're both right.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:08 PM

18,696 posts, read 40,012,788 times
The advantage of front wheel drive is simply the weight. The engine is setting on top of the drive wheels. So, with a rear wheel drive vehicle, simply throw some bags of sand in the trunk so that you have the weight over the drive wheels. At least with rear wheel drive, if I break traction, I don't loose steering.

This morning it was 4 degrees. I went out and fired up my diesel pickup. No, it is not plugged in and no, there is no treatment in the fuel. Straight #2 diesel. Started up just fine.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,569,174 times
Quote:
The advantage of front wheel drive is simply the weight. The engine is setting on top of the drive wheels. So, with a rear wheel drive vehicle, simply throw some bags of sand in the trunk so that you have the weight over the drive wheels. At least with rear wheel drive, if I break traction, I don't loose steering.

This morning it was 4 degrees. I went out and fired up my diesel pickup. No, it is not plugged in and no, there is no treatment in the fuel. Straight #2 diesel. Started up just fine.

Yeah, but I've seen your pickup. I do believe it would win in a pull-off with a D-8 Catapillar...

Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 AM

10,688 posts, read 6,932,188 times
Default Two seasons in Wyoming

I think on some Wyoming thread, I read a comment that said there are two seasons in Wyoming--
Winter and Construction!

May your winter be wet, but not overly cold; snowy, but not snowbound, and may everybody's vehicle get them where they have to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming