Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 AM

26 posts, read 42,355 times

Advertisements

I have always been a Cargo Van person for over 40 years. Would a Ford E-250, two wheel, rear drive cargo van work in Wyoming as well as a 4 wheel drive as a second vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:22 AM

324 posts, read 714,036 times
Yes

Old 11-30-2012, 01:38 PM

83 posts, read 238,310 times
Only because it's a Ford

Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Yes,

I drive Subie OBW's for transportation cars, and a

Dodge 3500 based RWD RV for my business travels around the region. Have not had any difficulties depending upon the van, although I'm careful when out and about in inclement conditions to slow down appropriately and use common sense about where I'll drive it. But I've never been stuck with it, not once anywhere ....

Old 12-01-2012, 05:31 PM

322 posts, read 587,239 times
I come from a region [northern Maine] that has much more severe winters than Wyoming and studded snow tires are standard issue. They are fantastic. Put-em on at first snow - take-em off in the spring. It is illegal to run them in the summer/fall.

I notice that there are instances where chains are required here in Wyoming. As far as road vehicles are concerned in Maine chains went the way of buggy whips more than 40 years ago.

I suspect than many, if not most of the fender-benders here in Wyoming that occur on snow or ice covered roads, when chains would not normally be used, could be prevented if studded snow tires were in use.

What is the feeling about studded snow tires in Wyoming?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,111 times
I imagine that any AWD outfit would work well most anyplace? When I college'd in Pocatello FWD's were great, and set of cable chains to go on if need to get severe.

Funny, the ice/fresh dry snow in well below zero conditions...........crisp, kinda' gave traction in some respect it seemed. Not the snow you get in my area at all, if lucky to get snow it's wet, sloppy......causes more problems cause folks can't drive in it-screws em' all up. I pray to keep snow in the mountains here because of the crappy driving it instigates

You folks really go it well with the high elevations, just know the limitations of man & your machine before venturing out and stranded.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Jas View Post
(snip)

What is the feeling about studded snow tires in Wyoming?
very rarely seen in use around here

I see way more off-highway or off-road excursions than I see fender-benders in the adverse conditions.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 AM

382 posts, read 936,423 times
I use studded snows on my little Versa. We live up a forest service road and my studs are often the difference between getting up or down the hill when the hard packed snow turns to ice. The neighbors four wheel drives have more trouble than my studded front wheel drive.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 AM

322 posts, read 587,239 times
paintersspouse observation is correct. Regardless of terrain [flat or hilly], when road conditions are "slippery" then a front wheel drive vehicle with studded snow tires is far superior to a 4WD vehicle with just snow tires.

Now add 4 studded snow tires on a 4WD vehicle and "slippery" conditions no longer exist.

Driving in deep snow is something else again. Because I've used only studs I can't compare them to chains, at least on a regular road vehicle. I do know that we always put chains on the tractors we used for snow removal.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Jas View Post
paintersspouse observation is correct. Regardless of terrain [flat or hilly], when road conditions are "slippery" then a front wheel drive vehicle with studded snow tires is far superior to a 4WD vehicle with just snow tires.

Now add 4 studded snow tires on a 4WD vehicle and "slippery" conditions no longer exist.
Driving in deep snow is something else again. Because I've used only studs I can't compare them to chains, at least on a regular road vehicle. I do know that we always put chains on the tractors we used for snow removal.
We get to disagree on this. Even in our flatland area here in SE WY, I've had several times in recent years when new neighbors from Wisconsin with 4x4 pick-up trucks who kept a second set of wheels mounted with studded snow tires for their 4x4 vehicles and put them on every Fall ...

got stuck or off the road excursion on some of our little hills around here where there's a draw that accumulates drifts which get beaten down and re-frozen as ice.

I got their phone call to come help ... and went over with my JD 4020 to pull them out.

On one of those excursions, they had the whole family (Grandma and their 2 kids) in the truck and were panic'ed over getting them home. I drove over to them with my Subie OBW Limited which only has All-Season Bridgestone tires on it, "rescued" Mom and the rest of the family, and took them home over the very slick roads. Came back after that with the tractor and pulled Dad out of the barditch he'd gotten stuck in.

They commented how amazed they were that the Subie went through where their GMC 4x4 crew cab didn't. It didn't even register with them that our local Rural Postal Delivery contract has been done for years with a Subie RHD AWD wagon ... and she uses all season tires, not studded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming