Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,914 times

Advertisements

Hello out there!

I was just wondering if anyone out there had any opinions on the near term (next 2 years) economic future of Cheyenne. I currently live in Longmont, CO my fiancee is a law student at the University of Wyoming. He obviously hopes to get a "law" job in Cheyenne upon graduation. On the other hand, I have been trying to find a job in the area for the past year or so with little success.

I'm hoping to get some insight from some locals on what they think the year or so will bring. What kind of jobs are most prevelant in the area?

Thanks so mcuh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Sure would help if you'd post what type(s) of jobs you are qualified for or looking for in Cheyenne ....

But you can search the "help wanted" in the W-T-E (Cheyenne's newspaper), or check out the jobs posted on Wyoming at Work site on-line to see if you can qualify. The number of column inches of jobs available in the local paper is now just a portion of a page, down quite a ways from the job openings of a few years ago.

Right now, Cheyenne has a fairly stable workforce ....

Of the law firms/lawyers that I know in the area, legal work is down and unfilled jobs in this sector aren't plentiful these days. I know a number of lawyers who'd be making more more managing a fast-food restaurant, and a number of them that have left the area or profession entirely due to the low income levels here. Your SO may be able to find a Cheyenne legal job at an entry level, but don't expect a big income or a lot of opportunity to be part of the package at this time. As well, there's a huge uncertainty about the coming year's tax burdens and how new regulations and taxes may affect the local economy. I know of a few lawyers who may be considered at the top of the profession here in Cheyenne and they're doing OK due to their personal connections to various segments of the industry right now ... but they aren't hiring new associates or support staff. The WY at Work website shows no current jobs listed anywhere in the legal field, not even in gov't job openings ... where one might typically expect to see a few offerings.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-22-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming