Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times

Advertisements

Warning - the video is tough to watch.

Wyoming Premium Farms Employees Charged With Animal Cruelty, Humane Society Says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
You have to admit, that all looks pretty damn inhumane. I never knew a farmer or rancher in Wyoming who treated their animals as badly as this Tyson Foods farm. These factory farms clearly need more regulation.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:47 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
I remember hearing about abuse of chicken at the Tyson plant not far from where we lived in TN (the same plant that got fined for busing loads of illegals into the plant to work). And now this. I'm done with Tyson products.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:07 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Glad they got busted. No animal needs to be treated like that. There was quite the outrage by other ag producers in Platte County and Wyoming as well when this was uncovered a couple months ago.

I don't know anyone who does.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Glad they got busted. No animal needs to be treated like that. There was quite the outrage by other ag producers in Platte County and Wyoming as well when this was uncovered a couple months ago.

I don't know anyone who does.

How could you afford to treat the animals improperly? Healthy animals equal higher profits.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
This whole article leaves a lot of questions. Usually these are contract farms, so Wyoming Premium Farms is the owner and they are contracted to Tyson. I wonder who else, if anybody, they are contracted to? Years ago, I worked for a ranch, East of Rapid City and we did contract work for Morrel, Hormel, Oscar Meyer, and a couple others. The only thing they had control over is the final outcome. They would tell us they wanted beef between 1300 and 1400 lbs, live and they wanted x number a week shipped East. So those company's had nothing to do with the actual day to day business.

So it makes me wonder if they contract to anybody else and I wonder if these company's are going to stop doing business with Wyoming Premium Farms.

It truely is a sad situation and the people involved need to be hung out to dry.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:16 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Wyoming Premium Farms (WPF) hires the animal workers. Most are local, with a few from other countries on work visas.

WPF has several barn sites in Platte County. I don't think they will close shop, but I do expect better oversight of their barn activities. I'm severely disappointed that it took an outsider to bring this to light. Never, ever should have happened to even one animal. I'm not a fan of HSUS, but grateful they got this to stop. It's a black eye on the industry.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Though folks would like to see an update on this.

Wheatland Pig Farm Workers Sentenced for Cruelty
Wheatland Pig Farm Workers Sentenced for Cruelty | SheridanMedia.com

Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 PM

400 posts, read 949,597 times
Okay, I don't agree with kicking them in the face or flinging the babies around but if you've never worked with pigs you have no idea just how stubborn they are. Getting them to leave the pen they have been in that they consider their home is no fun chore. I enjoyed nothing more after a morning of dealing with the stubborn buggars at the hog farm I worked at than eating a ham sandwich for lunch! ha ha And as far as the crates they were in where they couldn't turn around, that is for a purpose. You put them in those when they are close to their birthing date so they won't roll around and crush the babies when they are born.
That said, there is no reason to fling and throw the babies around or kick them in the face. It appears the workers are frustrated with dealing with the pigs and are using some overly rough tactics. They need to be taught how to move them, there are better tactics than this.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Though folks would like to see an update on this.

Wheatland Pig Farm Workers Sentenced for Cruelty
Wheatland Pig Farm Workers Sentenced for Cruelty | SheridanMedia.com
I'm glad to hear they were convicted, although I'm surprised at how low the fines were.

Quote:
The five sentenced in Platte County Circuit Court were assigned a $530 for each offense and six months' probation. The maximum possible penalty for the crimes was $750 and six months in jail.
Also its disappointing that only employees were charged. It is highly unlikely that they behaved that way without the approval and encouragement of the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming