Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM

10 posts, read 17,847 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are just wondering if anyone lives or has lived in or around Hulett? We are looking at property just north of town. Any info about wind, Pres. church, supermarket, schools ect.
We know the best way would be to look at it but we are currently out of the country. We used to live in Big Horn County. We are from ag backgrounds.
We appreciate any info, thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,963,937 times
It's been a few months since I last went through Hulett, but it's my impression that it's a very small town that caters to a local farming/ranching area, a retirement community, and tourists heading through to Devil's Tower.

There's got to be some affluence to the area, with the recent development/upgrades to the airstrip and the nearby golf course/retirement housing development, but for the most part ... I think you'll be heading to Spearfish SD or Sundance WY for most of your shopping, entertainment, church, restaurants or medical requirements. Approx 55 miles to Spearfish and a bit less to Sundance ...

There's simply not much there in Hulett except basic essentials; I do recall a main street of a couple of older motels, a few bars, a real estate office or two, some tourist souvenir type shops, a small hardware store, a small IGA grocery store .... it didn't take but a couple of minutes to drive from one end of town to the other. It's not that you can't find essentials available, but it's on the order of scale of a very small town with limited availability and choices; IIRC, there were one or two churches, but you'll be heading out of town for most denominations.

You're looking at the edge of the Black Hills area of Wyoming, with some amount of wooded areas, but the winds here will be very much dependent upon your site exposure. It's not uncommon to see days of mid-teens with gusts into the mid-20's winds in this area, although the reporting station is at the airstrip which sits prominently exposed on top of a little mesa just outside of town and at a higher elevation.

It's not too far away from one of my favorite WY lakes ... Keyhole Reservoir, which is a sizable lake for the region with lots of boating & fishing. Big enough facility to support a decent sized marina ... I have RV camped out at several locations here and it's rarely had more than a couple of other folk around. Not uncommon to see local area fisherman out on the water into the evenings during the summer months. It must be fairly well utilized, however, as this is one of the very few parks in the region where I've seen a ranger come through checking on fees paid at the campgrounds (I use an annual state pass, a bargain if you use it frequently).

Big Horn county living would seem to be much more populated, with more shopping and amenities than this area of Wyoming. Schools are pretty much comparable.

Employment opportunities appear to be pretty limited in Hulett.

When I looked at real estate in the area, it was fairly pricey ... perhaps a reflection of the affluent retirement marketplace of the area.

The airstrip data shows only two based aircraft there, but I recall seeing many more hangars than that and they report over 50 operations per week annual average; my bet is that there's a number of folk who have built hangars there for when they come in to stay at their seasonal residences.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-02-2013 at 04:13 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,755,255 times
Some of my favorite country. Used to ranch northwest of Hulett. I agree with what SunSpirit says about the town. Will add that Hulett is now part of the whole Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Some non-bikers like that. Some don't.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,155,108 times
After 40 years of living about 70 miles SW of Hulett, I finally discovered the area north of the town just a few months ago. It's an idyllic and unspoiled part of Wyoming, mostly just ranches . I'd golfed on that great course a few times, and even photographed a wedding there once. (The course, owned by the grandfather of the bride, was closed on that Saturday for the wedding.) We often camp at Devils Tower and make a drive to Cook Lake, which is 20 miles or so SE of Hulett, just for the scenery and wildlife viewing (deer, turkeys, eagles, etc.).

I'd echo Sunsprit's comments about the town. The grocery store is hardly a super market but has about everything you'd need, ditto the hardware store that I stopped at to buy a leash for the dog. We like Hulett, but it's a good distance to any real shopping. I can't say much about the schools. I'm not sure but I think it's a combined school for grades k-12, fairly modern looking based on what I've seen from the outside. All Wyoming schools are well-funded, so I'd guess it's a fine small school. Hulett School - Hulett School K-12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming