Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,373 times

Advertisements

Good morning. I am hoping someone can assuage my fears. I live about 300 feet above sea level in the eastern U.S., but will be coming to Cheyenne in a couple of weeks for a little business conference. I'll only be in town for 8-9 hours. Flying in that morning and out that afternoon. Still, I'm chicken about going to an altitude of just over 6000 feet. I will be in Salt Lake City the night before, which is over 4000 feet, so I'm hoping that will help. Do I need to be concerned at all? I won't be doing anything strenuous. In fact, the most exertion I'll have is walking from the airport terminal to a cab.

Will I be okay? What should I expect? I know I'm probably overthinking it. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
Relax. Keep your mind on the 'Here and Now' and you'll be fine.

At the very least, does'nt matter WHAT business you're involved in, you never want to let them see you sweat. If you're being sent here (to represent whoever you work for) they are counting on you.

Either way, it really does'nt matter how uncomfortable you are feeling...the 'show' must go on.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:47 AM

99 posts, read 149,203 times
You'll be fine. If you were going to do a big bike ride or a marathon, I would be a bit concerned. You may feel a bit more tired after walking around, but that will be the worst of it.

It's funny though. I live at 7500 feet and have my whole life. Going to sea level feels as if someone is smothering me and I absolutely hate it LOL. Pretty amazing what we humans can adapt to as "normal"

Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
I guess my attitude is different as I grew up above 6k, but I routinely fly from here in Georgia to my folks place in Montana for some winter recreation (skiing, snowshoeing) at ~8k in elevation. I'm a little winded the first few days, but that's it. I love going home afterwards though, I feel like the Energizer Bunny for a week or so and that I'm once again 'swimming' through this liquid atmosphere.

Sitting in a conference room? From a biological standpoint the differences are exceedingly minimal, alcohol will impair you more (hope you abstain from that while working anyway, but it's a good idea to skip it completely if you're already worried) and you will benefit from additional hydration, so always have a water bottle with you and drink any/every time you see it or think about it. Any issues you may encounter will be strictly psychological, freaking yourself out. And we're all telling you to not do that..

Old 01-22-2017, 12:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
...Any issues you may encounter will be strictly psychological, freaking yourself out. And we're all telling you to not do that..
That's about it, right there. The Denver Broncos have used their high elevation for decades to psych out their opponents. I'm not sure it's still there, but there used to be a sign above the visitors' locker room entrance that read: "Welcome to Mile High Stadium. Elevation 5,280 feet."

Obviously high elevation does affect athletes involved in high energy sports, but for what you're planning, I doubt you'd notice the thinner air if you weren't already aware of the elevation, particularly if you're youngish, in good health and don't smoke. As has been advised, limit your alcoholic intake and maximize your water intake while at elevation, but the main thing is, don't worry about it. Cheyenne isn't *that* high. If you were meeting in Leadville, CO, elevation 10,200, you could notice a little difference, but at 6,000 feet, I sincerely doubt you'd notice anything.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:34 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
You will likely not notice anything, but bring Advil just in case you get a headache and keep yourself hydrated.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,373 times
Hey, folks. I appreciate it. I feel better about it now. My main concern was not making myself look like a fool while I was in town.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbank View Post
My main concern was not making myself look like a fool while I was in town.

lol, well.. now, you may still do that.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:02 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Check with the desk at the hotel to see if they may provide an Oxygen supplement machine while you are sleeping. Use it if you develop a severe headache. Other wise just do what the rest of these guys suggest. Avoid fast movement. If you do feel a bit faint take deep breaths and force them out between closed lips. This will pressurize your lungs and increase oxygen uptake.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:35 PM

293 posts, read 563,701 times
Assuming you have no other major health concerns, you'll be fine. When I first relocated to Wyoming, I moved from east coast sea level to 7000ft. I didn't even notice unless I was doing something strenuous, like running or while I was moving in (carrying heavy boxes around), which just meant a got a little more short of breath than usual. The only time I had a real problem with the altitude was while hiking up in Colorado on a visit just before moving and felt super dizzy. But that was over 12000ft with no real acclimation time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: