Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 AM

10 posts, read 42,834 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New York City, and honestly have just had enough. It seems like the cost of living just keeps going up and I've got nothing to show for it. I'm considering moving to the Sheridan area or possibly Gillette and was hoping to get some advice from residents of the area.

More about me- I'm a 27 year old female. Single and no kids. I love the outdoors and just want some peace and quiet. I don't want to live anywhere that is a crazy party town or has a lot of crime and gangs. I'm trying to get away from all of that. Mostly I just want to live somewhere that I can work and live in and relax. I will admit that I've probably become spoiled by living in a big city, but I think I would do well in a small town as long as I had a decent job and places to meet new people.

I have family in Sheridan which is why I was thinking of it, but I'd rather go somewhere that's a good fit for me than somewhere I know people. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
Go here The Gillette News Record and click "expand" on Big Horns to the Black Hills. That's a special summer publication of the Gillette News-Record that should give you some information.

I'm from Gillette but spend a couple days each month in Sheridan. Either town is a good place to live. Sheridan is a little smaller than Gillette but has just as much to offer.

Gillette is more of a working, blue collar town -- a little more energetic with a bit younger population. (Median age of 32 vs. 39 for Sheridan.) I moved to Gillette at age 25 with the intention of being here for 4-5 years. That was 40 years ago! I like it because it sits halfway between the Big Horn Mountains and the Black Hills and is only an hour or so from either. It's a very active town and quickly welcomes newcomers. (Since I moved here it's grown from 7500 to 30,000, so a large percentage of residents moved here from elsewhere.)

As I'm sure you know, Sheridan has the Big Horn Mountains in its backyard with everything they have to offer. It's a beautiful mountain range that reaches beyond 13,000 feet at its summit. It's more "established" and has a lot of old money -- a nice downtown area with some lovely old homes. It's a bit more relaxed than Gillette but is not a sleepy hamlet either.

Climate is about the same in either town; there are jobs in either town. I think you'd have to visit them to decide which you prefer, but Sheridan would probably be the pick of the majority, mainly due to its close proximity to the Big Horns.

My late wife moved here from northern NJ and loved it. She loved the wide open spaces, the blue skies, the mountains, and the twinkling stars at night. I think if you move to NE Wyoming for the right reasons and with the right attitude and immerse yourself into whichever community, you'll like it.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM

97 posts, read 183,786 times
Sheridan seems to meet your requirements for sure. Have you visited recently? You might want to, I feel that in a small town you can get a pretty good feel of the place just by visiting for about a week or so. I have lived here in Sheridan for almost two years and came for the same reasons you are describing. The only thing I miss are good places to eat!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 AM

I actually will be visiting my family in Sheridan next month for a week and I'm looking forward to it. My mother and brothers have lived there for awhile and love it, so I'm hoping I will too. I'm expecting a bit of culture shock, but I think it will be worth the adjustment.

I read through a lot of threads on here about people looking to move out there or just visiting and everyone has the same complaint- the restaurants! For me its not that big of a deal. The cost of living in NYC has gotten so bad that I can't afford to go out to eat more than once a month so I've gotten used to cooking at home.

Thanks for the information!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,229,101 times
The restaurants are fine. Most small places have good food. What people mean is that they miss the big corporate overpriced restaurants that they had back home. Dont expect certainty When you come to Wyoming. Wyoming is full of PEOPLE. not corporations.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:17 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,970,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMadz View Post
I currently live in New York City, and honestly have just had enough. It seems like the cost of living just keeps going up and I've got nothing to show for it. I'm considering moving to the Sheridan area or possibly Gillette and was hoping to get some advice from residents of the area.

More about me- I'm a 27 year old female. Single and no kids. I love the outdoors and just want some peace and quiet. I don't want to live anywhere that is a crazy party town or has a lot of crime and gangs. I'm trying to get away from all of that. Mostly I just want to live somewhere that I can work and live in and relax. I will admit that I've probably become spoiled by living in a big city, but I think I would do well in a small town as long as I had a decent job and places to meet new people.

I have family in Sheridan which is why I was thinking of it, but I'd rather go somewhere that's a good fit for me than somewhere I know people. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!
The only suggestion I would give before moving to either Sheridan or Gillette is that you will want to take up outdoor activities like hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, rock climbing, etc, etc. If you're not into outdoor activities Wyoming would be a very dull place compared to New York City. You won't have to worry about gangs and high crime and I doubt either one is a major party town.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,091,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
The restaurants are fine. Most small places have good food. What people mean is that they miss the big corporate overpriced restaurants that they had back home. Dont expect certainty When you come to Wyoming. Wyoming is full of PEOPLE. not corporations.
Please don't speak for others, that is not at all what people want.

Sheridan used to have a half dozen locally owned restaurants and at any one of them you could get an outstanding steak. Now, if you want a steak, you can go out to the Branding Iron in Dayton, or you can head down to Buffalo, or to Story. No place, that I know of in Sheridan, to go out and have a good steak.

Used to have several choices of mom and pop places to take your family and even that is dwindling down to a couple chain restaurants.

Please tell us where the great family dining is? Sheridan has decent food, just nothing to draw you and the family out on a Friday night. Or any other night, for that matter.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-13-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
The only suggestion I would give before moving to either Sheridan or Gillette is that you will want to take up outdoor activities like hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, rock climbing, etc, etc. If you're not into outdoor activities Wyoming would be a very dull place compared to New York City. You won't have to worry about gangs and high crime and I doubt either one is a major party town.
I am actually already into outdoor activities. I go into the Catskills every couple of weekends during the summer so I can go camping and hiking. Never been hunting or rock climbing but I'm willing to try it. I'm also interested in photography and from what I understand you guys have some amazing scenery. Its probably going to take some time for me to adjust, but I'm willing to rough it out in exchange for some peace and quiet.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM

This is a random question but I have to ask. Are there any bars in Sheridan that have a pool table? Here you have to wait for half the night for a free pool table, even at a pool hall. Its not a requirement obviously but it would be a bit of a plus for me

Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMadz View Post
This is a random question but I have to ask. Are there any bars in Sheridan that have a pool table?
I don't know about Sheridan, but in Gillette there's Mingles Lounge that has a fairly large pool room (15 tables?), at least it did the last time I was there a couple years ago. I think Jakes Tavern has at least a couple too. Obviously, I don't spend much time in local bars these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming