U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,328 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move out of New York. With the recent audacity of our states governor to infringe on constitutional rights We are wholly dissatisfied with yet another problem living here. Aside from the high taxes, cost of living is way too high now. Gas is now at $3.82 a gallon and with the "you can't have it unless we can tax it" attitude of NY politicians, we plan on moving to another constitutionally friendly state. Alaska, Maine and Wyoming are the top three. Colorado was fourth but now that I see their governor and state assembly are trying to do the same thing as NY, that state is now off the list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM

8,442 posts, read 10,170,764 times
Luckily gas is a bit cheaper than that right now so that is a plus for sure. Cost of living depends on where you live. For example, Jackson has a cost of living comparable to Manhattan whereas other parts of the state have a much lower cost of living. What do you mean by "you can't have it unless we can tax it?" You won't escape taxes here but we don't have a state income tax. Lastly, What size of a town are you looking for? What do you like to do? What is your line of work? Some of us on here might be able to give some more detailed information. Welcome to the Wyoming forum!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,328 times
Default Looking for a better place.

We don't like city living. We live in Verona a small town in the middle of farm country just off of Main St. We would be looking for similar. I like to hunt, fish and we love camping and the out doors. My family think we're crazy because our favorite place to camp is ten miles from nowhere with no cell phone reception or even radio reception. I am an Electrician (self employed), and my wife is an LPN. We have seven kids and the youngest is going to be sixteen soon(almost out of the house). We will probably be looking at about three years before we definitely will move. The "you can't have it unless we can tax it" statement is it doesn't matter what "it" is they want to tax it and then tax it again and higher than most states I have looked. I am not trying to get away from taxes, I understand there needs to be some tax, but NY is just ridiculously tax happy. I don't smoke anymore, but my wife does and the cigarette price is almost double due to the amount of tax added to them. IE a carton of Marlboro costs around $108.00. (luckily she doesn't smoke those)

Last edited by Grizzlie_atoms; 02-11-2013 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Needed to add a response

Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,276,057 times
There are several radio-free (even AM) places in WY... none are places *I* would want to live (WY native, just stuck in GA near my wifes folks). And there are TONS of cell-free areas in Wyoming... even in some towns.

The standard recommendations: start with a cursory search of this forum to see what towns are often recommended and read those threads. Look at a map (and other data) to get a Slightly better idea of where those towns are located and what life is like there. For instance, Casper is the biggest town in WY, it's also Extremely windy there pretty much year-round with only one smallish rise known as Casper Mtn. as a change in elevation. It is decidedly *not* like all the advertising photos you've ever seen for WY or anywhere in the Rockies. My home town, Lander, is about the opposite of Casper in being one of the least windy areas, with immediate access to Wilderness (20 min drive and 30 min hike, you're in Wilderness), in a valley that backs up to the Wind River range that contains WY's tallest point. These 2 places aren't even at the extremes, more like a third in from those extremes and from each other.

Once you have all the learning you can do from home, done. Well, then it's time for 2 road trips. One in the summer, to see the "best of", and one in the winter to see the "worst of".

As an electrician and nurse, you two will have no issues with employment. Doubly so if you have top tier work ethics, as people in WY still value, and reward, those who give their best. Your wife may want to give consideration to being a college educator (I only mention this as it's the path my own mother took) if she has any difficulty in finding a traditional LPN job.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM

18,696 posts, read 38,028,378 times
There is another part of City Data where you can look at a map and click on towns to see the demographics, location, populations, etc. Find it //www.city-data.com/city/Wyoming.html

Also, we have a state website for all the Employment Office listings of jobs available. It is www.wyomingatwork.com

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM

9,729 posts, read 18,562,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlie_atoms View Post
...I don't smoke anymore, but my wife does and the cigarette price is almost double due to the amount of tax added to them. IE a carton of Marlboro costs around $108.00. (luckily she doesn't smoke those)
Yikes! My wife smokes too, $54 for her "premium" brand. I think Marlboro are cheaper. You could probably pay for a Wyoming visit by stocking up on cigs.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,751,988 times
The guys are covering your questions about Wyoming quite well. I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in about Maine. My good friends who live there (have all their lives) can't wait to move out of that state because of the extremely high taxes.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlie_atoms View Post
We don't like city living. We live in Verona a small town in the middle of farm country just off of Main St. We would be looking for similar. I like to hunt, fish and we love camping and the out doors. My family think we're crazy because our favorite place to camp is ten miles from nowhere with no cell phone reception or even radio reception. I am an Electrician (self employed), and my wife is an LPN. We have seven kids and the youngest is going to be sixteen soon(almost out of the house). We will probably be looking at about three years before we definitely will move. The "you can't have it unless we can tax it" statement is it doesn't matter what "it" is they want to tax it and then tax it again and higher than most states I have looked. I am not trying to get away from taxes, I understand there needs to be some tax, but NY is just ridiculously tax happy. I don't smoke anymore, but my wife does and the cigarette price is almost double due to the amount of tax added to them. IE a carton of Marlboro costs around $108.00. (luckily she doesn't smoke those)
You should fit in pretty well here then. As far as city life Cheyenne and Casper are the biggest at around the $50k mark. Cheyenne is close to Denver so if you do decide to visit a big city you can get there. Casper is out in the middle of nowhere but IMHO is a very nice town, although it is very windy as has been stated already. I think Cheyenne is also windy. Many other towns, especially those on the plains also have wind but tornadoes are rare in the state so you at least won't have to worry too much about that. As far as places to camp in wilderness the mountain ranges are in the northwestern part of the state mostly (although I'm told there are nice areas in the southeast part of the state, which I haven't explored as much). I would say some towns I might recommend to start checking out in order from biggest (around 50k) to smallest (around 3k) are Cheyenne, Casper, Gillette, Laramie, Sheridan, Cody, Lander, Powell, Worland, Buffalo, and Thermopolis. Many of these are in the northwest part of the state but there are a few in the central and eastern parts. This is not to say that there aren't other areas worth checking out, I'm just a bit more familiar with them (although not an expert). As far as prices on cigs go I'm guessing they aren't nearly as expensive here (I don't smoke so don't know for sure) as I know in Frannie, WY along the Montana border they advertise cheaper prices.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM

11,303 posts, read 46,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
You should fit in pretty well here then. As far as city life Cheyenne and Casper are the biggest at around the $50k mark. Cheyenne is close to Denver so if you do decide to visit a big city you can get there. Casper is out in the middle of nowhere but IMHO is a very nice town, although it is very windy as has been stated already. I think Cheyenne is also windy. Many other towns, especially those on the plains also have wind but tornadoes are rare in the state so you at least won't have to worry too much about that. As far as places to camp in wilderness the mountain ranges are in the northwestern part of the state mostly (although I'm told there are nice areas in the southeast part of the state, which I haven't explored as much). I would say some towns I might recommend to start checking out in order from biggest (around 50k) to smallest (around 3k) are Cheyenne, Casper, Gillette, Laramie, Sheridan, Cody, Lander, Powell, Worland, Buffalo, and Thermopolis. Many of these are in the northwest part of the state but there are a few in the central and eastern parts. This is not to say that there aren't other areas worth checking out, I'm just a bit more familiar with them (although not an expert). As far as prices on cigs go I'm guessing they aren't nearly as expensive here (I don't smoke so don't know for sure) as I know in Frannie, WY along the Montana border they advertise cheaper prices.
WyoEagle apparently uses an entirely different map of Wyoming than I use ... so let's compare re the comments above.

1) Casper and Cheyenne are comparably windy/gusty climate areas. Both well known for this.
2) The WY tornado/hail belt is along the Eastern border, and while tornados are infrequent, they are a legitimate source of concern. As well, the region is known as a "hail belt", and it's not uncommon for entire crops to be wiped out in a matter of minutes each year due to the intensity of the storms that pass through the area.
3) There are no wilderness/mountain ranges in the SE part of the state. There are some grasslands areas on the plains in E Central Wyoming, with some camping there. The Black Hills of Wyoming are definitely in the NE corner of the state, and offer similar camping to the famed Black Hills of South Dakota ... only less crowded and without as many tourist traps ... although the area supporting the Devil's Tower seems to have a stake in the tourist trade. Traffic comes through here to Sturgis and Spearfish area on their way to the towns/gambling in the Rapid City area ....
4) None of the towns mentioned by WyoEagle are in the "northwest part of the state", but are in South Central to SE corner, or the North Central to Central towns mentioned ... hard to imagine being "familiar" with Casper and Cheyenne and lumping them as NW Wyoming. Couldn't hardly be further away from that NW area of the state at around 400 road miles Cheyenne to Jackson. Even Lander is quite some distance away from the NW portion of the state, so OP, best to get a WY map out and see where the towns are really located.

You've already identified that you "don't like city living", which I think rules out Cheyenne and Casper from the get-go. It would actually be closer to the "big city" amenities when you need them to live in the Evanston area and travel to SLC then it is to live in the Cheyenne/Laramie area and travel to Denver. I'd add Evanston to the towns under consideration.

IMO, we need a bit more information about your needs/wants, budget, priorities, expectations, etc., to be able to make valid recommendations about the options of where to live in WY. Putting Cheyenne/Casper in the same category as Buffalo/Sheridan/Lander or Gillette just isn't comparing apples for apples ...these communities all have strengths which are markedly different in many ways that are very significant.

Consider that this is principally high altitude desert country; ie, what the image most folk have of Wyoming is really limited to very small portions of the state ... forests, live water, etc. So many come here expecting the hollywood image of the place to be the entire state, and it's simply not so ... despite being misrepresented by so many land brokers, who put gorgeous mountain vista p with lakes/streams views into their Wyoming ads and what they've really got is a bunch of barren scrubland without much water from an old ranching property that was very low production/acre to sell.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM

WyoEagle apparently uses an entirely different map of Wyoming than I use ... so let's compare re the comments above.

1) Casper and Cheyenne are comparably windy/gusty climate areas. Both well known for this. I acknowledged the wind in Casper and Cheyenne.
2) The WY tornado/hail belt is along the Eastern border, and while tornados are infrequent, they are a legitimate source of concern. As well, the region is known as a "hail belt", and it's not uncommon for entire crops to be wiped out in a matter of minutes each year due to the intensity of the storms that pass through the area. I didn't say a word about hail and I am quite aware that there are tornadoes in Wyoming, but they are not as common as places like Kansas.
3) There are no wilderness/mountain ranges in the SE part of the state. There are some grasslands areas on the plains in E Central Wyoming, with some camping there. The Black Hills of Wyoming are definitely in the NE corner of the state, and offer similar camping to the famed Black Hills of South Dakota ... only less crowded and without as many tourist traps ... although the area supporting the Devil's Tower seems to have a stake in the tourist trade. Traffic comes through here to Sturgis and Spearfish area on their way to the towns/gambling in the Rapid City area .... I'll give you this one although if you look carefully I didn't say "wilderness" I just said I had heard there were nice areas in the southeast part of the state.
4) None of the towns mentioned by WyoEagle are in the "northwest part of the state", but are in South Central to SE corner, or the North Central to Central towns mentioned ... hard to imagine being "familiar" with Casper and Cheyenne and lumping them as NW Wyoming. Couldn't hardly be further away from that NW area of the state at around 400 road miles Cheyenne to Jackson. Even Lander is quite some distance away from the NW portion of the state, so OP, best to get a WY map out and see where the towns are really located. Generally the area around Yellowstone is considered to be the northwest part of the state. Cody, Powell, Thermopolis, and Worland are pretty close to that area. Also I didn't say all of those towns were in the northwest part of the state.

Try reading the whole post carefully before arguing.

You've already identified that you "don't like city living", which I think rules out Cheyenne and Casper from the get-go. It would actually be closer to the "big city" amenities when you need them to live in the Evanston area and travel to SLC then it is to live in the Cheyenne/Laramie area and travel to Denver. I'd add Evanston to the towns under consideration.

IMO, we need a bit more information about your needs/wants, budget, priorities, expectations, etc., to be able to make valid recommendations about the options of where to live in WY. Putting Cheyenne/Casper in the same category as Buffalo/Sheridan/Lander or Gillette just isn't comparing apples for apples ...these communities all have strengths which are markedly different in many ways that are very significant.

Consider that this is principally high altitude desert country; ie, what the image most folk have of Wyoming is really limited to very small portions of the state ... forests, live water, etc. So many come here expecting the hollywood image of the place to be the entire state, and it's simply not so ... despite being misrepresented by so many land brokers, who put gorgeous mountain vista p with lakes/streams views into their Wyoming ads and what they've really got is a bunch of barren scrubland without much water from an old ranching property that was very low production/acre to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming