Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 PM

18 posts, read 19,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
That tears it, I'm out of here!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne Kid View Post
just explaining the winters aren't tourist season in Wyoming.
this. Note that I previously posted: " Good luck and best wishes to you for your first Cheyenne winter, which is still some months off."

But I note that you've posted that you "don't like winter" and ...

happy to hear that you're enjoying your Cheyenne experience to date.

just trying to let you know that it's not what you're going to see in a couple of months, and when winter arrives, it doesn't leave very soon. I hope you have some very time consuming activities to enjoy at home for some number of months ahead.

You do realize that the 6,100' elevation here is a major player in the temperature lapse rate and conditions from the coastal sea level area weather patterns? We joke about how the snow falls horizontally around here, and disappears because it gets worn out being blown back and forth ... but that's the reality of wintertime here. We need the moisture, so the snow is a welcome/tolerated event, but to call it fun, as in a ski resort town type of fun ... is far from what happens. There are portions of the state where that winter scene develops, but it's not here in SE Wyoming; for a few dollars more, you can stay in Jackson.

I'm not attempting in any way to tell you to leave Cheyenne ... but, in all candor, I'm trying to give you my best assessment of what will likely present in a given winter. Whether or not that is an acceptable living situation for you is solely your decision, not mine.

PS: I note that the Farmer's Almanac and similar forecasting services are predicting a colder and wetter winter than average for this upcoming winter. With an 80% or better track record of forecast accuracy, this may be worth your consideration of what is up ahead. You may want to look at the Cheyenne weather history on sites like WeatherUnderground .....

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-28-2013 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
"From April 25-27, 1984, the worst late spring blizzard ever to hit Wyoming battered the northern part of the state for three days...."

I missed it. I had scheduled an annual inspection on my plane near Wichita, KS for the 25th and high tailed it out of Gillette just as the storm clouds were rolling in. We owned a retail shoe store at the time, and my wife called me asking if she should close it for the storm. "Close it? Hell no! (pause) Well, use your judgment...." She closed it and got within about a block of our home before she got the Jeep stuck in the middle of the road -- where it sat for a few days. I returned a week later and most all the snow was gone.

To get to the front door of our house at that time you walked through a little patio that was enclosed on all sides except for a gate. My son dug a tunnel from the front door to the gate (20 feet) so they could get out of the house. Photos showed the snow drifts at the eaves. They opened the garage doors and took a picture looking out -- all packed snow except for one little corner where you could see the blue sky.

So sorry I missed it. It was 80 degrees at Wichita....

Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
"Storm total at Lander was 53 inches, which was also a record." -4-22-1999.... I was there, and yep, it happened... but we survived My daughter's birthday is the 24th of April....we thought this was crazy.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post

I read somewhere that you aren't allowed to recommend any commercial entity by name on these boards, which might explain why you haven't had any responses yet. Sorry.
That is not correct, this is all the TOS says about recommendations.

Quote:
Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts. Create a free business profile by going to //www.city-data.com/profiles/add and fill out your forum profile instead. Do not include links to your websites, MLS listings, etc. in your posts. Do not try to push the envelope by attempting to hide your intentions. Do not solicit business by DMs. Show your knowledge about the area and help people and you will get leads naturally. Real estate agents should join the usergroup for them here: //www.city-data.com/forum/profi...editusergroups. It will set your user title and add an icon next to your name, so you will get free advertising with your posts.

Recommendations are allowed for posters that have at least 10 posts. One cannot recommend himself/herself. The only area where recommendations are not permitted is real estate, however general responses, such as "we have many helpful and knowledgeable real estate agents on this forum - just DM them" are fine.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:53 PM

OK, CheyenneKid ...

Here's the weather forecast for tomorrow.

In view of the fact that the forecast winds are just slightly less than Cat 1 hurricane force winds, are you finally getting the idea that there is severe weather here compared to all the disaster zones you've visited? This isn't even a newsworthy event in this area, it's business as usual ... and we're still in fall weather with warm temperatures, not even close to winter time conditions.

Per NWS: "Windy conditions for southeast Wyoming and the Nebraska Panhandle today with very strong into some the wind prone locations in southeast Wyoming. A High Wind Warning is in effect until midnight tonight for westerly winds which will gust to around 60 mph. The warning is in effect for the northern Snowy Range Foothills and the southern Laramie Range and Foothills. This includes portions of interstate 80 between Rawlins and Cheyenne. High profile and light weight vehicles will be susceptible to loss of control and blow-over. Motorists should use caution and slow down when encountering strong and gusty winds."

I appreciate that Cat 1 is defined by continuous 75+ mph winds, but what can present here is predominantly continuous gusts in the forecast velocity range. It's capable of causing more damage to buildings and structures than a steady wind velocity because there's not a steady pressure on a surface, it's getting hammered about by the winds with the instant changes in direction and velocity.

Were it not for the winds, the temps would present some very nice fall weather conditions. But with the winds, it makes outdoor activity somewhat less than a pleasure, especially in view of the wind chill factor.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
OK, CheyenneKid ...

Here's the weather forecast for tomorrow.

In view of the fact that the forecast winds are just slightly less than Cat 1 hurricane force winds, are you finally getting the idea that there is severe weather here compared to all the disaster zones you've visited? This isn't even a newsworthy event in this area, it's business as usual ... and we're still in fall weather with warm temperatures, not even close to winter time conditions.

Per NWS: "Windy conditions for southeast Wyoming and the Nebraska Panhandle today with very strong into some the wind prone locations in southeast Wyoming. A High Wind Warning is in effect until midnight tonight for westerly winds which will gust to around 60 mph. The warning is in effect for the northern Snowy Range Foothills and the southern Laramie Range and Foothills. This includes portions of interstate 80 between Rawlins and Cheyenne. High profile and light weight vehicles will be susceptible to loss of control and blow-over. Motorists should use caution and slow down when encountering strong and gusty winds."

I appreciate that Cat 1 is defined by continuous 75+ mph winds, but what can present here is predominantly continuous gusts in the forecast velocity range. It's capable of causing more damage to buildings and structures than a steady wind velocity because there's not a steady pressure on a surface, it's getting hammered about by the winds with the instant changes in direction and velocity.

Were it not for the winds, the temps would present some very nice fall weather conditions. But with the winds, it makes outdoor activity somewhat less than a pleasure, especially in view of the wind chill factor.
So what do you suggest I do? Do you want me to move back east or someplace other than Cheyenne? What's your purpose in the daily weather report you address to me?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne Kid View Post
So what do you suggest I do? Do you want me to move back east or someplace other than Cheyenne? What's your purpose in the daily weather report you address to me?
I don't care whether you move or stay here.

In the spirit of being a good neighbor, I'm just trying to give you a glimpse of what to expect living here, because ...

You mentioned that you don't like winter weather and that you don't believe that extreme weather events visit here.

I'll say it again: winter is a serious event here, and you need to be physically and mentally prepared for how it affects your living here.

So be it. Time will tell what presents this winter. Enjoy!

PS: In all candor, if I didn't have ranch/farm work and livestock tying me here to Cheyenne year 'round, I'd be a snowbird in a heartbeat. And that's from somebody who owns houses in Vail CO for over 30 years and never dreamed I'd reach a time in my life where skiing 50 days per season wasn't normal. Now I rent out my places and only ski a few days per season.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-31-2013 at 08:18 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I don't care whether you move or stay here. In the spirit of being a good neighbor, I'm just trying to give you a glimpse of what to expect living here, because ...

You mentioned that you don't like winter weather.

So be it. Time will tell what presents this winter. Enjoy!
Well thank you so much. I'm 73 years old, I suspect I've seen as much inclement weather as you or anyone else and I'm smart enough to make my own decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming