Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,435 times

Advertisements

my son is going to graduate from high school in California, he want to go to study in Wyoming technical institute, he wants to moved in June.i am afraid, i don't know nothing about Laramie WY. I want to moved with him because i am traditional mother and i don't want to leave him alone. i don't know what job opportunities there can be, and how expensive the life can be there.Can somebody please help me? camysandoval@yahoo.com thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 04:46 PM

262 posts, read 606,633 times
Laramie, and Wyoming for that matter, is probably one of the safest places someone can move to. To illustrate: some people choose not to lock their bikes up here. I wouldn't advise anyone not to lock their property up, but it's something I haven't really seen anywhere else. That being said, if someone wants trouble, I'm sure they can find it, just like anywhere else.

I'll leave the other questions for people on here who are more knowledgeable than I am. I'll only add that you may want to visit the town, and the sooner the better, to start looking for rentals. It was a lot of work, and a bit of luck, before I was able to find a nice place here.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8train View Post
...visit the town, and the sooner the better, to start looking for rentals. It was a lot of work, and a bit of luck, before I was able to find a nice place here.
If he's moving in June, that should help very much in finding a rental. Laramie is also home to Wyoming's only 4-year college, the University of Wyoming, so there should be a lot of empty rentals in June.

The university isn't big by university standards (10K-12K enrollment?), but for Laramie it's pretty big, so he'll likely be competing with its students for low-paying jobs. The tech school might be able to help out with finding a job and a rental. As for you finding a job that would earn you a living wage, I don't know. There would be lots of service jobs that pay low wages, hardly enough to live on. Other than that it depends a bunch on your experience.

Both of my kids attended UW, but that's been more than a decade ago, so I can't help you much with costs, etc. Laramie is an Old West town, of course, so it's got its share of old homes, old buildings, and somewhat run-down neighborhoods, but overall it's a fairly nice community with a mix of cowboys and university employees and students.

As Laramie sits at about 7K feet ASL, it does have very cold winters with lots of wind, but the summers are nice.

I just have to add, parents don't normally move to the college town where/while their children attend school. If your son is graduating from high school, you might should consider cutting the apron strings and let him spread his wings and experience life on his own. That's part of growing up. If you've raised him well, he should do fine. Laramie isn't a dangerous town by any means. Like Fr8train wrote, if he wants to find trouble he will; otherwise he'll be fine. With that I'll butt out; it's certainly no business of mine. It just seems odd....

P.S. I'd remove your email address or you're inviting all kinds of spam. ElkHunter could help you with that if you decide to.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
A few things you need to know about Wyoming, especially coming from California.

The winters are harsh and 9 months long, especially around Laramie where it is very windy.

Wages are low because of all the students competing for jobs.

The state has very low public services and benefits so don't count on those being of any help.

Given that your son is now of college age, you should do him the favor of cutting the apron strings and let him learn to get by on his own. Living with his mama while in a college age school will seriously hamper him socially and personally in his growth.

Lots of high school graduates go off on their own to college and technical schools in the Laramie area every year and do just fine. Let him go, let him grow up.

Moving costs are very expensive. Don't give up what you have in California to move out to Laramie. If you keep your home base in CA at least he will have that to come home to if he needs a fall back position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming