Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,786 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I are moving from Chicago to San Francisco. We are thinking of stopping for a night halfway through. We're worried about people stealing our stuff. Does anyone know of a good, safe, place to stop for the night along I-80? Also any suggestions on which rental truck company to go with and any promotional codes, etc.? Thanks!
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,909 times
We stayed in Rock Springs on the way through at a Motel 6...there were lots of U-Hauls just parked right outside. It didn't seem like a problem. I parked my SUV with U-Haul trailer right there and didn't have any issues.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM

24,469 posts, read 17,211,031 times
Uhaul makes it pretty easy to rent and return a trailer.
I would put my own lock on the trailer so no one can open the door and also put a lock on the trailer tongue so no one can make off with the trailer. For even more security you could back the trailer up to a immovable object like a wall or telephone pole etc.. park under lights and near your hotel room.
I think in most cases you would be OK security speaking but this is America and it only takes one loser to wreck your day.
Good luck

Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM

400 posts, read 949,373 times
You should be fine anywhere you stop. Your only choices along I-80 in Wyoming are Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs and Evanston. The largest of these being Cheyenne at just over 60,000. It is wise of course to use a padlock or rope lock on your uhaul door.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
As someone who worked hotel night shift through college, if you're nice (a pizza always works well for being nice), most front desk agents will go the extra mile to get you parked in the best place for them to keep an eye on it for you and then Actually keep an eye on it for you. That shift starts at 11pm though, so you're going to stay up a little late to catch the night auditor.

That said, I've moved.. a LOT (10 states in 15 years), never had any issues with people messing with my stuff when moving. Just keep everything locked up, and any vehicles completely clean on the inside.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,287,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomama2 View Post
You should be fine anywhere you stop. Your only choices along I-80 in Wyoming are Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs and Evanston. The largest of these being Cheyenne at just over 60,000. It is wise of course to use a padlock or rope lock on your uhaul door.
And LA , or Little America

Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
That's at least a 2,100 mile trip ...

are you saying that you're only going to stop the one night in this move?

That's over 1,000 miles at a stretch, driving a rental truck?

You'll not be able to drive any loaded rental truck at freeway legal speeds for much of this trip, especially if you encounter Westerly headwinds enroute. Even if you could maintain 60 mph, Chicago-to-Cheyenne is over 1,000 miles = 17 hours of driving. Figure on the time it takes for rest stops and fueling, and you're talking a 20 hour long day on the road, which even if you have two drivers to accomplish this is still way past the functional endurance of safe driving for all but a few drivers.

And then you're just going to stop for a night and repeat this driving?

Perhaps you might need to make more than two overnight stops for this trip. I wouldn't do it in less than three night stops ... driving a truck isn't the same as your comfortable 75 mph capable car, for speed or fatigue.

A good stop in Cheyenne for your purposes would be the Little America, right off the interstate with motel, food, and fuel.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
I moved 3 folks cross country last yr (2 through WY)

Penske has been best truck from my experience. Get one with a DT466 engine.

Budget truck (GMC diesel) took about 2x the fuel of a Penske and was very Wimpy Suspension (not fun in WY wind).

I will second Little America (Cheyenne or western WY) as a safe place. Usually you back the truck into an area someone cannot open the door, and sandwich the vehicle if possible by parking a car (overnight) in front and rear. You can get someone who is spending the night to park their cars and sandwich you (as Long as they want to leave BEFORE you do...). I always sleep in the cab of the truck, as I don't rest too long, but take a couple naps during the day. I make my best travel time at night, cooler air, cooler tires, less traffic, less distractions, less police presence, fewer motorhomes and rental truck putt'n along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming