Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 AM

7 posts, read 35,101 times

Advertisements

Hello guys and gals,

A Job Opportunity came up for me in Worland, it seems like a nice place to start a new life. was wondering what life is like there, I'm flying in with a just my lonesome, some clothes and a bike if I take the offer, just had a few questions for locals, if they frequent here.

1) Whats are typical price of rent for apartments/rooms in that area, not really finding much or if I do limited information on google.

And is this the kind of place where housing is limited?

2) Whats the cost of living like over there, I was offered a post in Alaska once and they told me things would be expensive, as in 8 dollar 6 pack of cokes and 3 dollar cans of soup Hopefully it isn't so in Worland.

Hows the shopping selection around town and is there anything fun to do in Worland?

3) Is this the type of town where you can bike everywhere and survive without a car, I've checked on maps that the Worland Hospital is near the Airport a couple miles down from eye in the sky on Google maps, are they much closer than the birds eye view leaves me to suspect?

and when it snows, how cold does it get, because I plan on using my bike until I can afford a Car, which is a long, LONG time away... the Heat and Cold doesn't really bother me much , I come from a humid part of the West Coast, but I would still like to be prepared just in case.

4) Any places for Higher Education in Worland, was planning to go to college/university in Wyoming.

5) How's the internet over there (Some areas I hear have no or limited access) and who provides the service and hopefully it isn't too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM

143 posts, read 265,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted Skittle View Post
Hello guys and gals,

A Job Opportunity came up for me in Worland, it seems like a nice place to start a new life. was wondering what life is like there, I'm flying in with a just my lonesome, some clothes and a bike if I take the offer, just had a few questions for locals, if they frequent here.

1) Whats are typical price of rent for apartments/rooms in that area, not really finding much or if I do limited information on google.

And is this the kind of place where housing is limited?

2) Whats the cost of living like over there, I was offered a post in Alaska once and they told me things would be expensive, as in 8 dollar 6 pack of cokes and 3 dollar cans of soup Hopefully it isn't so in Worland.

Hows the shopping selection around town and is there anything fun to do in Worland?

3) Is this the type of town where you can bike everywhere and survive without a car, I've checked on maps that the Worland Hospital is near the Airport a couple miles down from eye in the sky on Google maps, are they much closer than the birds eye view leaves me to suspect?

and when it snows, how cold does it get, because I plan on using my bike until I can afford a Car, which is a long, LONG time away... the Heat and Cold doesn't really bother me much , I come from a humid part of the West Coast, but I would still like to be prepared just in case.

4) Any places for Higher Education in Worland, was planning to go to college/university in Wyoming.

5) How's the internet over there (Some areas I hear have no or limited access) and who provides the service and hopefully it isn't too expensive.
I'll chime in where I can with what I know about Worland.

2) Cost of living isn't so terrible. You have two fairly large grocery stores/chains in town with decent pricing on most items. Definitely not like Alaska, but also definitely not as cheap as in a larger city with discount retailers. As for fun, it depends on what you like to do, but IN Worland the options would be limited. Once you can afford a car though, it's really close to lots of outdoor opportunities in the Big Horns.

3) I would imagine you could easily survive without a car in the warmer months, but Worland can get extremely cold in the winter. The town itself is pretty compact and easy to navigate though, nothing is too far from anything else.

4) Worland doesn't have any higher education that I'm aware of, I think the closest option would be the community college in Powell.

5) I don't know about internet service, but with Worland being one of the bigger towns around I can't imagine it would be too terrible.

Hope I haven't provided any misinformation, hopefully some of the regular Wyoming board posters can chime in and confirm/correct me.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
^^^ That's about all I know about Worland, too. I live a few hours away.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
As far as internet service, I use a mobile hotspot via my cell phone, so anywhere I go my phone provides up to 8 WIFI signals about 150 feet around me. It's great and as long as I have cell coverage, I have internet.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
The airport is 3-4 miles away from town. There's a two-lane road that goes to it, mostly through subdivision residential areas and built-up small acreage areas, speed limits are 30 mph close to town and increase in the last miles or so ... then down to 20 mph as you get to the edge of the airport area. The airport is adjacent to the golfcourse.

There's not much paving at the edge of the road from town, so if you're bicycling, you'll be in the traffic lane with much faster vehicles for a good portion of that trip ... once outside the higher density residential area.

I've been through Worland multiple times on business trips through the last year, and I've yet to see a bicyclist on the roads there, even in nicer weather. I'd expect that few drivers in the area will know how to share the road with you, although traffic density will not generally be an issue.

I wouldn't count on a bicycle for primary transportation for at least 4 months of the year; between winds, cold temps, and snow/slick surfaces, it will be more than a challenge to get around.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 AM

7 posts, read 35,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I've been through Worland multiple times on business trips through the last year, and I've yet to see a bicyclist on the roads there, even in nicer weather. I'd expect that few drivers in the area will know how to share the road with you, although traffic density will not generally be an issue.
I don't play chicken and I've had my share of close calls with my little bike, so I'm more than happy to move on the dirt portion for a bit if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I wouldn't count on a bicycle for primary transportation for at least 4 months of the year; between winds, cold temps, and snow/slick surfaces, it will be more than a challenge to get around.
To be honest I don't mind at all, as long as the roads are cleared during the snow season and it doesn't flood I'm good to go and ready to bike down, It'll be most important since I'm going to work at WRL Airport if I do take this offer.

Whats a way into town if I don't bring my bike, any bus or taxi service, may seem funny yes, but I've have heard some small towns with limited Pub Transit.

By the way any Motels near the airport or are they all in town?

Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted Skittle View Post
I don't play chicken and I've had my share of close calls with my little bike, so I'm more than happy to move on the dirt portion for a bit if need be.

It's not so much a case of "play chicken" as it is that the edge of the pavement has a drop-off to the barrow pit alongside the road. You're not looking at a easy transition off the pavement or back onto it in a lot of places.

To be honest I don't mind at all, as long as the roads are cleared during the snow season and it doesn't flood I'm good to go and ready to bike down, It'll be most important since I'm going to work at WRL Airport if I do take this offer.

Again, your concept of "cleared" and what presents may be at a wide variance. The plowing that does take place is to allow traffic to move, but it doesn't mean that the roads aren't slick or icy. In this climate area, we depend upon sunshine and very low humidity to melt or sublimate much of the snow/ice that presents. A good plowed road may actually just be hardpack snow which can allow the formation of black ice on the surface; while you won't find that the entire road is that way, isolated spots and stretches of the road will be these widely varying surfaces.

Whats a way into town if I don't bring my bike, any bus or taxi service, may seem funny yes, but I've have heard some small towns with limited Pub Transit.

Public trans in Worland is very limited.

By the way any Motels near the airport or are they all in town?
No motels near the airport, they are all in town.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 AM

149 posts, read 258,957 times
Several years back, the county completed a walking/bike path along airport road. It runs two miles from the southern edge of town, 15th street becoming airport road, to the edge of the airport. At the end of the path, you have less than 1/2 mile to the terminal. So walking/biking from town to the airport and back shouldn't be a problem at all. Check out google earth/google maps and you'll be able to see it.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Guy here a few years ago didn't like what the Doctor told him , he put 50 -100 miles on his bike a day. The frist winter he used it on a frame in his house. Then he bought studded tires, the soft steel wore out fast so he has I think titanium studded bicycle tires , I see Him riding all winter , he dose stay on the main highway as there more space between the fog line and the edge of the road.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:26 AM

149 posts, read 258,957 times
As far as housing/renting, your best bet is to contact the local realtor offices:

Hake Realty, 347-3271
Bonny Realty, 347-4289
McGarvin & Taylor, 347-4271

When it comes to fun things to do, in a small town like Worland that can be in the eye of the beholder. What kinds of things do you enjoy? It is a fairly tight-knit community, so if you want to break in and meet new people, you're going to be limited mainly to church congregations, if that's your thing. However, there is also the Worland Community Center Complex that offers recreational team sports and that sort of thing. And of course there are endless opportunities for hiking, fishing, four-wheeling, camping, etc., with the Big Horns only 30 miles to the East just past Ten Sleep. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming