Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM

29 posts, read 212,637 times

Advertisements

Okay...no glossing it over...how long is the winter in Cheyenne? Is it bearable? Just tell it like it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,363,461 times
Here goes: First, the weather varies A LOT from winter to winter, and--in winter--from day to day. So, what I'm writing is a generalization. The winter season can be long--it's possible for snow as early as September (though it doesn't stay) and as late a Memorial Day. (This spring, it snowed for a few minutes one day in June!) Contrary to popular belief, Cheyenne actually does not get a lot of snow in winter proper. Maybe 1-3" out of a typical storm--often spaced many days apart. Cheyenne also gets Chinook winds most of the winter. The bad news is that it is windy A LOT in winter, but if it's the Chinook from the west, it actually warms the temperature up. Highs in the 50's and 60's are not uncommon in winter. If the wind turns and comes from the north, though, it can be bitter cold (zero or below ambient temperature with brutal wind chill), sometimes with a little snow mixed in. And a 60 degree day can be followed by a zero degree day and vice versa. Cheyenne generally gets its big snows when the wind blows upslope from the east or southeast. If moisture from the east and southeast collides with cold air coming from the north or northwest, a significant snow event or blizzard can occur. This usually happens a couple of times a year.

The big snows generally come to Cheyenne in March and April. These can be huge snow events, often with serious blizzarding. The good news is that temperatures usually rebound within a few days and things thaw off pretty fast.

The hardest thing for me to accept about winter in Cheyenne is that the ground is generally bare and brown for about 8 months of the year. Snow cover usually doesn't last in the winter. The trees usually don't start leafing out until late April or May, and are turning before the end of September. Summers are short, but usually delightful. Not as much wind and temperatures seldom topping 90. Cool nights. The only risk in summer is frequent afternoon thundershowers--several of which usually go severe with big hail. Cheyenne is the hail capital of the U.S.--with an average of ten hailstorms each summer.

Bottom line: if you're used to Florida, Cheyenne winters might seem terrible. If you're a Rocky Mountain native like me--aah, no big deal.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM

471 posts, read 1,503,794 times
My friend used to live in Cheyenne when her husband was stationed there. When she was trying to gear me up for the Wyoming wind she told me about watching her husband get into the car. The wind was blowing so hard he couldn't even open the driver's side door, had to get in on the other side. So funny...

I'm hoping Gillette's winters aren't so bad. We lived in Colorado Springs for almost 10 years and I loved the winters. You do get sunny days too. Hope it's similar, though I expect more wind. I like to walk/run with my dog so I'm hoping we can still do that through the winter.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:00 PM

95 posts, read 260,158 times
when the old Timers were asked about Spring and summer in Wyoming- They would reply. "I dont remember Spring and Summer , I was Drunk those two Days" Youll do fine Good Luck

Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone. We are really considering a move to Cheyenne and everyone is being so helpful with the information. The winter does scare us a little, but still, it doesn't sound that bad. It could be worse with snow on the ground every day of the winter. So, if you guys are being honest, I think we can survive.

It kind of sounds like Denver weather in the winter.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,051,467 times
There's a misconception I think you have. Snow lying nicely on the ground is not hard to deal with, you can scoop it up out of your way and you're good to go. Snow blowing 50mph at you while you try to hang on for dear life because the wind is blowing you into oblivion across the ice you're walking on isn't. The wind is what makes winter unbearable in Cheyenne, you can survive it, many do you just need to understand what you're in for. It's not for sissies. They only get a few inches of snow at a time because the rest gets blown away.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,879,923 times
Don't let these folks scare you. Cheyenne is a wonder place to live and has 4 seasons.

In the spring, we watch the trees bud out, the grass starts to grow, the insects come out. That's 29 June thru 3 July.

Then, it comes the time that we have to mow and rake. Yard chores. Boring, but really good for you to build up your phisyque. That's the 3rd of July through the 7th. Then we start getting ready for winter that's only a couple weeks away.

You know I'm pulling your chain.

The winters can be bad, and the winter, can be bad. But it's not that bad. The wind, a person gets used to. There really arean't periods of "Heavy" snow. Sure, you'll get some blizzards and life is miserable, but those are the nights to throw a log on the fire and snuggle up to that special someone.

There's a lot of folks live in that country and have lived and loved the winters because they've learned how to live there. Pay attention to them, ask questions, you'll find out it's not that bad.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the input/advice.

Do people actually do stuff in the winter --go out, take walks, jog...or do they just hibernate?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,879,923 times
Do we do stuff in the winter?????? Hell yes we do!!!!! haha

I actually go out in the winter, more then I do the summer. Snowmobiling, skiing, just hiking in general. It's pretty easy to put on layers and stay warm. As the day heats up, peal a layer now and then. But the prestiene white snow in a meadow is just speach taking. To hear the crunch of your boots as you step through the snow is unbelievable. When you camp and build a fire it is awe inspiring. You learn to bank your fire so it reflects the heat towards you. Curl up in that sleeping bag and you'll sleep like you've never slept before in your life.

Besides, in the winter, you won't get attacked by a bear, they're all hibernating.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 16,812 times
Default Salt Lake to Cheyenne

Can anyone tell me how common it is for I-80 to be closed between Salt Lake and Cheyenne in February? I want to go that way this coming February, but if it closes a lot due to weather in Feb, I'll have to re-route a big trip. Thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming