Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:15 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,949 times

Advertisements

Need some advice...

I don't know whether it's better to have a buyer's agent or not.

We recently moved from Colorado Springs. Our home there is under contract. Anyone familiar with the market here in Gillette, Wyoming knows that there are few homes on the market at an affordable price. We bought our home in the Springs for $190,000 four years ago - it's beautiful (wish we could have brought it with us) 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, lots of windows, covered deck, new paint and carpet, large kitchen, vaulted ceilings, D20...). Selling it for $220,000. I haven't seen anything here as nice in the same price range. We've been here 3 months, staying in a city-owned residence (thank you city people!) and have about 2 weeks to find a home and a month to sit under contract before being kicked out of here before someone else might need it.

Thing is we are really determined to find something under $200,000, preferably from 160s - 180s, which seems a bit of a challenge. I know a lot of great people are living in campers and mobiles, but I really would like a single residence house. Seems like most things under $200,000 are manufactured, modular, mobile, or townhomes. Though I'm not really against manufactured or modulars, I just don't want to blow away if they get any more tornadoes here.

I called to look for a buyer's agent yesterday. (Don't know a soul here, no recommendations) She was way unprofessional. Eating on the phone, laughed when I told her our price range. (We're really wanting to stay under $200,000 - hopefully more like 160s - 180s, able to put $20,000 down. Told her we were preapproved but not for how much - $220,000 - because we don't want to spend that much and don't think it'd be wise to anyway - took a pay cut in coming here though that's not necessarily representative of why most people move here, and our one car that's paid off is about to fall apart so we'll need another one or 2 would be nice, and we really want to get out of debt faster...) When she called back many hours later to tell me she'd found a few, she said I could pick up the printouts or she'd drop them in the mail. Long story short I politely told her I was going with another agent though I didn't have one. I was under the impression she wasn't interested in helping us anyway because we're not big spenders.

And I emailed a second agent (gave her the same info) and haven't heard back from her (over 24 hrs.) Gets a woman a bit discouraged...

So... are realtors not really interested in representing someone like us? Who aren't big spenders? Especially in a market like this where homes are so expensive? Whatever happened to helping out the little guy? We're the type of couple who'll decide quick, have good credit, have all our ducks in a row, but you can't convey that.

So I called a listing agent and set up an appointment for tonight to see a home I'm interested in and it DID feel liberating to skip over the whole wait for someone to get back with you and hope they show you what you're interested in thing - especially before the house is under contract with someone else anyway.

But now I'm a bit freaked out about not having representation. Can I find a house this way and then get an agent to represent me when we make an offer?

Our last home was the very 1st one we bought. So this is our 2nd time around. Our last buyer's agent in the Springs wasn't very helpful anyway. (You learn so much looking back). We made an offer for the exact amount, could have at least advised us to go under a few thousand (we realized that now after getting 6 offers on our home before going under contract, 5 out of 6 people offered under the listing price - learn as you go, right?) And he gave no other great tanget advise. Our current seller's agent in the Springs is phenomenal though - now I see the difference.

Anyway, any advice on going with or without a buyer's agent - considering the market here in Gillette. And any recommendations on buyer's agents who are willing to work for the little guy here in Gillette, Wyoming?

Thanks in advance, sorry I rambled a bit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:15 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,165 times
I am a first time home buyer, and so my knowledge is limited. But from the experience we have had so far I would suggest getting a buyers agent, someone that will take care of you and help you sift through all the hoops. It is doable to find something in that range, with a good partner on your side. I have heard things come up in that range, but it goes fast, so you need an agent who is willing to "jump on it" for you.

That is the problem I am having though, no sense of urgency or very rude and unprofessional cause I am not a mega millionaire who wants a home in the Powder Horn(a millionaires subdivision basically) outside of town.

I too don't understand why the little man isn't helped, we are just as important.

Best of luck to you... Have you posted in the real estate/mortgage forums?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:02 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
You're seeing the typical Wyoming real estate agents so far.

It's all about lazy "found money" ... you need to buy a house, I've got a license in my pocket and access to the multi-list, I'll get around to seeing what's available and let you know sometime what I've found type attitude. If I don't find an easy deal to make for you, it's not worth my time or professional approach to bother you or me with that information. There's more important things to do ... wash my hair, pick up the kids from school, check the oil in the car, go shopping, see if I can get that sticky cap back on the tube of toothpaste, or visit with another friend, or so forth.

At 6% commission, many of these agents are vastly overpaid for the quality of services they provide.

You'll need to ask around at several brokerages before you might find somebody who is willing and able to be of service. The agent may not want to function as a buyer's agent for various reasons ... conflict of interest in the agency, or personal preference ... but if they can locate a property in your price range, then do your best to look out for your interests.

Good luck in your housing search.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM

471 posts, read 1,508,949 times
Thanks a bunch kristynwy and sunsprit for your thoughts. (gave me a good laugh there sunsprit)

We decided to go with a buyer's agent. So much for feeling liberated. Actually I feel much less stressed now that I feel we have a good agent on our side. My husband called someone this morning before he left for work (left a message) and the agent called back by 8:15am. I was very impressed at how prompt he was (and sincerely willing to help knowing our price range) and 15min later he'd sent me an extensive list to look through today and narrow down (some of which we hadn't seen looking on our own). What a relief... I feel a lot more hopeful now.

kristynwy, I wish you the best of luck too. I hope you find someone who'll work for you and help you get that land you want. I think that's terrific, a great idea. I think land is the way to go really. I'll have to check out the real estate/mortgage forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: