Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:16 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I had to chuckle at that Jody. I grew up on a farm and used to think that there was nothing more boring than mowing with a "Super C" and a 9 ft sickle. (That was a lot of years ago) Now you are saying that we are coming up with new and better ways of being bored? hahaha

Although it was boring, it was the best time of my life. Worked from "can see, to can't see." Used to clip the headlight wire so dad couldn't expect us to work even longer.
they have 16 foot disc headers that will go at 16mph with auto steer gps.... thing is you need the gps because most people couldn't handle operating that fast , oh and an air ride seat, good AC and a heck of a radio and you can knock down way over 200 acres aday, but they do cost around $140,000
I bought a used one 15 foot header and it nothing to cut 100 acres in a short day! have cut cutting time way below half....
I gre up running a 12 foot NH 907 with a umbrella, then a 14 ft NH 1114, then to a NH 1495 with a 12 ft and no auger but a 8 foot wide conditioner... oh it is for sale..

Last edited by jody_wy; 05-17-2013 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 12:11 AM

357 posts, read 1,614,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
they have 16 foot disc headers that will go at 16mph with auto steer gps.... thing is you need the gps because most people couldn't handle operating that fast , oh and an air ride seat, good AC and a heck of a radio and you can knock down way over 200 acres aday, but they do cost around $140,000
I bought a used one 15 foot header and it nothing to cut 100 acres in a short day! have cut cutting time way below half....
I gre up running a 12 foot NH 907 with a umbrella, then a 14 ft NH 1114, then to a NH 1495 with a 12 ft and no auger but a 8 foot wide conditioner... oh it is for sale..
Last time I was in a Hesston 8550, about the fastest I could pilot that thing was about 9MPH.

People think it sounds "easy" to drive farm equipment at 5 to 9MPH - "what could be easier?"

yea, until you actually sit in the seat and try it. Then suddenly you can't believe how difficult it is to keep the machine on course, especially when you're farming in circles on a pivot.

I used to be able to lay down a pivot (125 acres) in one really long day - from about 10AM (when the dew was up out of the hay) to about 10PM. I'd cut the center two spans with the 16' wide sickle machine, then I'd cut one side of each wheel track with the sickle machine.

Then I'd park that rig and go get a 4640 (that had been turned up to act more like a 4840) with a Hesston 1360 rotary swing-tongue mower behind it. I could move that thing around the pivot at about 8+ MPH. It would flat-out cut, and the only thing that slowed me down was having to re-fill the 4640, which was powerful enough to pull past any other machine on the farm other than the fuel pump. Man, that machine loved to slurp fuel.

But I could get it all laid down in about 12 hours, with enough time for a lunch break in there.

Man, GPS would have been really, really nice.

Now, some farmers have so much guidance and yield monitoring technology in the cab, they're just short of flying a fighter jet.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDave View Post
If you don't drive, you'll have a hard time in most places in Wyoming. There are large distances to cover and little, if any, public transportation options.

The 'net connectivity in Wyoming lags far behind more urban states. While we have OK speeds and bandwidths, we have little redundancy, and there are times I've seen single-path failures. I've had cable IP and am now on a wireless ISP. It works well and enables us to live where we want, which isn't in town.

This lack of path redundancy is one of the issues that makes the idea of "data centers" a pipe dream in most of Wyoming.

As others have indicated, we have only one four-year state university, and given the size of the state, that's appropriate. There are a bunch of two-year schools scattered around the state.

There are only small tech companies in Wyoming.

Real estate valuations have been declining for several years now (since late 2009, when the reality of how lending was propping up even the local markets), and it might be bottoming now, or it might just be taking a breather on the downtrend.

Wyoming is quasi-libertarian. We're not as libertarian as where I'm from (central Nevada), because Wyoming isn't ever going to legalize prostitution or pot, there's remains of the prohibition temperance attitudes in public treatment of liquor licensing and most Wyoming towns and cities are quite happy to have zoning of property.

Most local economies in Wyoming are dependent to some extent upon oil, gas, coal, and other extraction industries. The hard truth is that most of the state has winter weather too harsh for most people to live here, and most of us here like it that way. It keeps the grifters and hobos out of here.
Actually, thank you for mentioning Nevada. I suppose I ought cross-post this in Nevada's forum (assuming it's not against the rules?).

I actually much prefer the harsh weather in a way, I'd even move to the Antarctica if I could afford to bring down enough wiring. I've always had this vision about building an underground town in the middle of somewhere very harsh so as to keep just any outside force from entering.

Okay, so the reason I asked about horse riding and that kind of stuff is: I legally cannot drive. Not because I don't know how, not due to DUI or any sort of felony record (I'm clean), but despite that I know & am capable of driving under different conditional circumstances, certain issues would prevent me from likely ever passing a driver's license. Meanwhile, I don't like overpacked cities like Atlanta, NYC, & San Francisco

Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
there a couple ranches here that hitch a team up to a sleigh or wagon and go to Church and town, not all the time usually during nice weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming