Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbonfay View Post
I'd be most concerned about the winter nights. I'd never keep a dog outside in that weather. It's absolutely freezing. We rescued several dogs when I was a kid that had frostbit feet and they had dog houses. During the winter they're water doesn't last long because it freezes quickly. Is there a reason you primarily keep your dogs outside?
As I think of it, I can't think of a soul I know out here that leaves the dogs outside all the time - including ranchers. The water absolutely freezes quickly. The conditions are absolutely too cold to leave a dog outside all the time. I live in town in Cody and people don't leave their dogs outside because of predators. We've had a mountain lion walk through our neighborhood, so I certainly wouldn't chance my pups ending up on the wrong end of a dog-big cat fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbonfay View Post
I'd be most concerned about the winter nights. I'd never keep a dog outside in that weather. It's absolutely freezing. We rescued several dogs when I was a kid that had frostbit feet and they had dog houses. During the winter they're water doesn't last long because it freezes quickly. Is there a reason you primarily keep your dogs outside?
yes because she a big white sheep garud dog and she has a electric livestock water and she plows into a hay pile to sleep most all day because she up all night chasing coyotes

Old 04-30-2013, 05:11 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
yes because she a big white sheep garud dog and she has a electric livestock water and she plows into a hay pile to sleep most all day because she up all night chasing coyotes
Hi Jody... Just curious about whether having dogs in the yard (say lab retriever type dogs) keeps the coyotes at bay... ? Are the coyotes intimidated by most dogs or will they just try to ignore them and snatch anything they can? Thanks!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM

coyotes will get a dog to chase them when they get him away more will come out and kill the dog, but that in area with yotes denning and useually alot of coyotes around. trappers will use a dog in the spring the dog will run back to the trapper and he shoot the coyote at that time of year works better then calling.
I have watched coyotes get a dog to chase-fallow them on hard crusted snow in early spring.
Now my LGD is a big AkbashxPryaneae heavy coat, spicked collar and a very loud deep bark , coyotes usually just howl and she barks back.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
coyotes will get a dog to chase them when they get him away more will come out and kill the dog, but that in area with yotes denning and useually alot of coyotes around. trappers will use a dog in the spring the dog will run back to the trapper and he shoot the coyote at that time of year works better then calling.
I have watched coyotes get a dog to chase-fallow them on hard crusted snow in early spring.
Now my LGD is a big AkbashxPryaneae heavy coat, spicked collar and a very loud deep bark , coyotes usually just howl and she barks back.
I didn't know that. That's an important bit of info that just may save the lives of my dogs. Thanks, Jody!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
I didn't know that. That's an important bit of info that just may save the lives of my dogs. Thanks, Jody!
I only see it happen in very rual area, usually during denning time.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 PM

Thx, Jody. Here is SE Wyoming I'm not sure what the coyote population is but your experience and insight is greatly appreciated. Coyotes are pretty smart critters...

Snowing like the Dickins here in Cheyenne. Hope all is well up in your area! ... Looking forward to Spring... :-)

Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Thx, Jody. Here is SE Wyoming I'm not sure what the coyote population is but your experience and insight is greatly appreciated. Coyotes are pretty smart critters...

Snowing like the Dickins here in Cheyenne. Hope all is well up in your area! ... Looking forward to Spring... :-)
Spring was yesterday. You missed it?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Spring was yesterday. You missed it?
LOL! That's true! With all of this snow I completely forgot. That's OK... Those formal definitions don't seem to matter much here. Hope all is well up in your area!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I have a friend that lives about 3 miles out of town. He raises hounds and uses them to hunt lions in the area. Each dog is kept leashed, and each dog has it's own dog house. Inside the dog house is a 60 watt light bulb that is set up on a switch that comes on when the temps hit 20 degrees. His dog dishes are electricly heated so they never ice up. He has kept and raised dogs in this manner for years and has never had a signle case of frostbite. His dogs have never been in a building.

So it doesn't take much to keep animals outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming