Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 02:31 PM

116 posts, read 449,792 times

Advertisements

Safe merging:

Step 1: Accelerate to match the speed of highway traffic as you travel on ramp.
Step 2: Be aware of your surroundings by checking mirrors and blind spots.
Step 3: Flick your blinker signal on to let other drivers know you plan to shift lanes.
Step 4: Speed up or slow down slightly if a vehicle is right beside you, positioning your vehicle to enter an open space.
Step 5: Merge gradually into the neighbouring lane by following the path of the merging ramp.
Bonus Step (optional): Give a friendly “thank you” wave to the driver who gave you space to help you merge safely.

Voila – now you’re cruising the highway.

How to Merge Safely on a Highway | TranBC

Wyoming merging:

Step 1: Enter the on ramp at a medium speed. Decelerate as you near the entrance to the highway.
Step 2: Visually check in your mirrors for other vehicles. If there are ANY other vehicles visible, regrardless of the lane or the distance, come to a a complete stop. Wait until there are no cars in sight before proceeding. Maximum merge speed should not exceed 20 MPH.
Step 3: Hope that there are no drivers behind you on the ramp, trying as quickly as possible to get up to freeway speeds while looking behind them, oblivious to the fact that there is some dimwit at a COMPLETE STOP on the on ramp.

I swear. DON'T STOP ON THE ON RAMP. You people are gonna kill me. I have NEVER seen ANYONE stop on an on ramp, except in Wyoming, and you only have about 10 cars in the whole state. Stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM

400 posts, read 949,701 times
Thank You!! This is so aggravating and seriously dangerous!

One car I experienced this with was a student driver in Cheyenne. So now you know where it begins....:/

Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
I've seen people STOP on the ramp in every state in which I've driven (hint, that's more than 49 and less than 51) plus one "district".

Heck, I've witnessed, on a few occasions, people REVERSING, in a lane of traffic, on a multi-lane interstate. Never in WY though...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
I've also personally witnessed MORE than my share of drivers (entering onto the interstate) pushing upwards of 85 mph, and getting aggravated at me, because I'm already ON the interstate, pushing a (conservative) 60mph...and when they come up to my bumper, they completely lose their composure, simply because I didn't 'accelerate' to match THIER speed...

...ok, so...I'm sorry....but I'm NOT in a hurry, and I'm trying to save gas...and my vehicle is (obviously) not a late-model sports-car, nor does it resemble a top-fuel dragster, so...I don't get why they think I'm just going to 'wake up' and accelerate to match THIER speed ?

Who are 'they', that I should have to kow-tow to THIER overly hypertensive, impatience ? ? ?

Anyways...just wanted to get that out of my system...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM

293 posts, read 563,778 times
Also, if you're in the right lane and someone is merging, then pull up until you're even with them and match their speed while stubbornly sticking to your lane, especially when the left lane is wide open. All while laying on your horn at the audacity of the merger to enter your highway!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 PM

If I am in the right-lane (of 'The American-Tax-payers highway') and somebody is RIGHT ON MY TAIL (fresh off the on-ramp) and the left-lane is already occupied by either one (or multiple) vehicles travelling at a higher-velocity than I am CAPABLE of 'matching'...then it is up to the RECENT addition (to the highway) on my tail to LEARN TO BE PATIENT, until a suitable opening comes available (in the left lane) at which point, said-patient driver can then use his newer, better-condition (and therefore 'faster') vehicle to overtake mine, and be on his merry-way.

As I have already CHOSEN my present-velocity, and as I am NOT feeling any pressing-need to 'rush' things, it's not up to ME to accelerate.

As long as I am travelling-along at a LEGAL speed, I am breaking no laws; and I do have several attorneys who would happily back me up, on my claims.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
If I am in the right-lane (of 'The American-Tax-payers highway') and somebody is RIGHT ON MY TAIL (fresh off the on-ramp) and the left-lane is already occupied by either one (or multiple) vehicles travelling at a higher-velocity than I am CAPABLE of 'matching'...then it is up to the RECENT addition (to the highway) on my tail to LEARN TO BE PATIENT, until a suitable opening comes available (in the left lane) at which point, said-patient driver can then use his newer, better-condition (and therefore 'faster') vehicle to overtake mine, and be on his merry-way.

As I have already CHOSEN my present-velocity, and as I am NOT feeling any pressing-need to 'rush' things, it's not up to ME to accelerate.

As long as I am travelling-along at a LEGAL speed, I am breaking no laws; and I do have several attorneys who would happily back me up, on my claims.
Have you always been in the way of other people?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I have to travel around the country, and find Wyoming drivers to be more polite compared to other areas.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 PM

Have you always been in the way of other people?

> Oh, I wouldn't know if I was ever in anybody's 'way'...nor would I know (for a fact) if my legal-presense
on any of Wyoming's roads/highways has ever 'infuriated' anyone, due to slowing THEM down any...

...but I know I've done far WORSE things to people who've tried to push me around, in the past...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming