Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times

Advertisements

I'm taking the second and third week of December to visit some of the places to which I am seriously considering as my retirement home. I've visited enough to have a pretty good idea of the area in the spring and summer, (fantastic), but have only made one winter trip.

Primarily, my focus will be on several towns in the Big Horn Basin, then to visit a friend in Three Forks, MT, (not really considering MT for retirement), and maybe a swing through eastern ID. I figure that I need to talk with some realtors, visit the city planning department, talk to some deans at the colleges, (might continue teaching in retirement, not planning on it, but good to keep the option open), and attend some church services and chat with the members. Who else would it be good to interact with and ask questions of? (Don't drink, so won't be going to any local watering holes.)

One post of a thread in the retirement sub-forum, a poster mentioned asking locals what the one thing was that bugged them about where they live. What is the one thing they would change if they had the power and means to do so. I'll have to remember that, but also will have to be careful, lest it is received as a criticism.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Spend some time in Powell. Nice town, nice people, diverse economy (not only tourism and energy), medical, and a Jr College + close to MT (when necessary to fly or go to Costco instead of 'The Merc"). Try to time your trip to meet with some of the college staff and program heads.

mixed results with this... as with many Co-ops... some need Co-op developers (and business manager advisors without direct ownership) to 'ride herd'. There is tremendous opportunity still...
For Sale By Owners | People & Places | Smithsonian Magazine
Merc to consolidate into one building

The Powell city park is EXCELLENT for Camping, tho Dec... Don't recommend that option, maybe some nice townsfolk will invite you home for Christmas! They have offered me free breakfasts when I camped there!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM

One more to add to the list. Need to visit the hospitals and see which insurance plans they accept. I'm covered now through work, but when I retire, will have to switch to something else because Kaiser is not in WY.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
While you are in the neighborhood and an early looker, U might consider SD areas of Spearfish and Rapid. Quite different in many ways from WY, but similar as well, (no state income tax, mini-mtns, for those in the early phases of recon.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:58 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,717 times
Volosong:

As most people on this board know, I am a big advocate of Sheridan, just to the east of the Big Horn mountains, for retirement. Powell, Cody and Greybull are wonderful towns, but Sheridan has a bit more. And the mountains protect us from the worst of the weather from the northwest.

She-who-must-be-obeyed and I retired here last year and we love it. Everything we need and ALMOST everything we could want (an Olive Garden would be nice) is here. The people are friendly beyond belief. I took a friend to the emergency room last weekend and was seriously impressed... and I'm a retired paramedic. I wanted a job application by the time I left. It was that good.

I suspect ElkHunter will jump in here with his thoughts, but those are ours. We looked all over Wyoming before we decided to retire here. We selected it because of the low taxes, the weather and the great people who live here. And we're very happy.

We invite you to visit.

Best, R-3

Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
I understand you are visiting the basin on this trip, but I honestly think you are cutting yourself short if you don't hop over the mountain and at least cruise through Buffalo and Sheridan. You can pop over on Hwy 16, see Buffalo, 30 miles North and see Sheridan, and head back over on Hwy 14. I think it would be well worth your time.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 AM

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

I've never heard anything negative about Sheridan, only good things. If I have time, I can hop over the hill for a look see. Will the 16 over the Bighorns be open? The road is kept open during the winter?

- - - - -

Have to modify one item on my list. It's not worth going to a hospital to see what insurance plans they accept. Instead, I should go to the medical groups that are usually located near the hospitals.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:06 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
Yes, Hwy 14 and 16 are kept open year-round barring major snow storms. I think they still pull the plows off the roads from sunset-dawn, so it's wise to try to drive them before dark. 14A (alternate) does close for the winter and will likely be closed by the time of your visit.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

I've never heard anything negative about Sheridan, only good things. If I have time, I can hop over the hill for a look see. Will the 16 over the Bighorns be open? The road is kept open during the winter?

- - - - -

Have to modify one item on my list. It's not worth going to a hospital to see what insurance plans they accept. Instead, I should go to the medical groups that are usually located near the hospitals.
If you come over on 16, you'll first hit Buffalo (pop 4800). Going North you will encounter Story (pop 800), Big Horn (couple hundred), Sheridan (pop 18,500), then Ranchester (pop 850), then Dayton (pop 800).

So there are a few choices. Buffalo has a nice hospital and good medical facilities, but it is a small town so medical is not going to be what Sheridan is. Sheridan has a cancer center, surgical center, dialisys center, etc, in addition to the Hospital. For medical in Ranchester or Dayton, the small grocery stores do sell bandaids. Ranchester does have a dentist office.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Is there much difference in the climate between the Bighorn Basin and the Powder River Basin? Up close to the Montana border.

I would think that they are pretty similar, except that the Powder River Basin would get more "stuff" from the southeast when the conditions of the jet stream allow.

Last edited by volosong; 11-02-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming