Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 14,709 times

Advertisements

OMG thanks so much Juneaubound! Your response was seriously the most helpful one I've seen! Thanks to KillerK too. Y'all hit the nail on the head with the kind of responses I was hoping to get!

I'd love to hear more from people my age! Especially those that have moved to WY from other areas! Thanks everybody! This is so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 03:04 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,674,874 times
Default Just the facts, ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliescott View Post
Haha I really wasn't talking about girls... I'd like to make friends regardless of their gender... I'm more concerned about age. Like I'm genuinely looking to make friends. I don't want to be somewhere where I'm completely isolated from people my own age. Thanks for the reply regardless though.
Here is what Wikipedia reports on Cody:
Quote:
2010 census
As of the census[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE] of 2010,
there were 9,520 people, 4,278 households, and 2,502 families residing in the city. The population density was 933.3 inhabitants per square mile (360.3 /km[SIZE=2]2). There were 4,650 housing units at [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]an average density of 455.9 per square mile (176.0 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.9% [/SIZE]White, 0.2% African American, 0.7% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.0% from other races, and 1.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.1% of the population.

There were 4,278 households out of which 26.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.0% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 41.5% were non-families. 34.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.82.

The median age in the city was 42.4 years. 21.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.1% were from 25 to 44; 28.9% were from 45 to 64; and 18.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.2% male and 51.8% female.
Cody, Wyoming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if roughly 1/4 of the people are between 25-44 and roughly half those are married, you have approximately 1200 people between the ages of 25-44 who are unattached. Since you are looking for "younger" folks in their twenties, you could probably reasonably estimate, given even distribution, approximately 316 between ages 25-29. The advantage of a small town, however, is that you will probably get to know most of them in short order.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:13 AM

6,252 posts, read 5,045,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Here is what Wikipedia reports on Cody:

Cody, Wyoming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if roughly 1/4 of the people are between 25-44 and roughly half those are married, you have approximately 1200 people between the ages of 25-44 who are unattached. Since you are looking for "younger" folks in their twenties, you could probably reasonably estimate, given even distribution, approximately 316 between ages 25-29. The advantage of a small town, however, is that you will probably get to know most of them in short order.
Ward, if I were that age I'd find those numbers pretty bleak. Cody isn't Atlanta. It's a small, isolated, western town and the OP needs to understand that (and if he does come here) needs to come in with eyes wide open. I do have to point out though, that the numbers you gave him at not that cut and dry. Your numbers don't include 24 year olds, or 23 year olds or 30 year olds. It presumes that the OP only wants to be friends with unmarried people. It does not include the huge number of young people who blow into town from all over the world between May and September. It doesn't include any of the young people who live in Powell (which is only 20 miles away), or those from Greybull, Lovell, Basin, Meeteetse etc. who also come into Cody (OP - all those I just mentioned vary from small towns to little holes in the wall).

Like I said, Cody isn't anything like any of the cities the OP may be familiar with - not in terms of size, amenities, demographics, isolation etc. but I think there are more than 316 people that he could have the freedom to get to know.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,939,079 times
This is just an opinion and is not based on any known facts. Cody is EXACTLY like any other town of that size in the Western Rocky Mountain states.

In any small town it is more noticeable that our youngsters want to explore new found freedom if not being under their parents control. They graduate high school, turn 18, and turn the key on their car so they can head down the road to explore. People can use the excuse that there us nothing there for their youth and that is an excuse, because the town their kid moved to, says the exact same thing, their us nothing here for our youth. The fact is it started when they were born. They learned to crawl and now the blanket in the floor no longer held their interest, they wanted to see what was in the other room. They might crawl to the other room and decide they like it or they might come back because they want the comfort of what is familiar. Your town (anytiwn USA) has nothing more or nothing less, to drive out youth, or attract youth, than the town down the road.

How many times have you seen that the neighbors so./daughter took a job in the city, making twice what they would here. Fact is they are making twice, but they are probably paying twice also. You don't see them coming home to visit in a new car.

College is different. They go to college and then take a job elsewhere because jobs for that new professional, simply don't exist in that small town. If they want to continue in that field, they have no choice but to live elsewhere. So please don't blame the town or the youth for something that happens in EVERY small town.

Cody is going to have people in that age group, coming and going, based on the size of the town and it is going to be in line with any town of that size in the Western states. It is not like it has beaches to attract youth, nor manufacturing plants to attract numbers.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Juneaubound, again, so helpful!

And ElkHunter... I feel that was a bit of a rant, so I'm glad you got that off your chest. I'm not familiar with, as you put it, "any town of that size in the Western states"... That is why I started this thread.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliescott View Post
Juneaubound, again, so helpful!

And ElkHunter... I feel that was a bit of a rant, so I'm glad you got that off your chest. I'm not familiar with, as you put it, "any town of that size in the Western states"... That is why I started this thread.
That's good that you are. I wanted you to understand that people will often say that in "Their Town", the youth move on because there is nothing for them there. The truth is, the youth move on in any town. Some come back, some don't. But a town of that size is going to have a percentage of people in your age group. It's not a retirement community in Arizona, it's a mid sized town in the Rockies.

You can take a look at this link and find all the demographics about Cody, or any other town. Right here on City Data: //www.city-data.com/city/Cody-Wyoming.html

Old 06-02-2013, 12:58 PM

ElkHunter, I totally understand!

Thanks for the link!

Old 06-02-2013, 01:31 PM

774 posts, read 2,576,376 times
I live in Cody. We may not have any beaches to attract young people here in Cody, but I'm thinking if you're considering Wyoming, you're not looking for a beach. We do have plentiful outdoor activities - mountains, rivers, horseback riding, biking, and a fairly famous national park - in our backyard that attract young people. There are a lot of people in their 20s-30s here and we know quite a few of them. With the college just a half hour away and and active cycling community and plentiful outdoor activities to attract younger adults to live here, I doubt you'd lack opportunities for finding friends. The hospital has lots of younger adults working there. Get involved in things that interest you and you'll make friends quickly. I see young adults around town all year around; they must live around here somewhere.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
I live in Cody. We may not have any beaches to attract young people here in Cody, but I'm thinking if you're considering Wyoming, you're not looking for a beach. We do have plentiful outdoor activities - mountains, rivers, horseback riding, biking, and a fairly famous national park - in our backyard that attract young people. There are a lot of people in their 20s-30s here and we know quite a few of them. With the college just a half hour away and and active cycling community and plentiful outdoor activities to attract younger adults to live here, I doubt you'd lack opportunities for finding friends. The hospital has lots of younger adults working there. Get involved in things that interest you and you'll make friends quickly. I see young adults around town all year around; they must live around here somewhere.
See, that is what I am talking about. The young adults are there, just like anywhere. So many times I hear "Whoa is me" tails of all the young people moving away and I just don't see it. They might go away for a short bit, but not long.

On the link I provided, some of the stats are so stupid, I have no idea why they make divisions where they do. For instance:

For population 15 years and over in Cody city:
•Never married: 19.0%
•Now married: 57.5%
•Separated: 1.8%
•Widowed: 7.9%
•Divorced: 13.8%

Why on earth would they include 15 year olds in stats on marriage? Only 19% of the 15 year olds are still single? 13.8% are divorced?

You had better watch yourself, we'll have you married off in no time.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM

774 posts, read 2,576,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
See, that is what I am talking about. The young adults are there, just like anywhere. So many times I hear "Whoa is me" tails of all the young people moving away and I just don't see it. They might go away for a short bit, but not long.

On the link I provided, some of the stats are so stupid, I have no idea why they make divisions where they do. For instance:

For population 15 years and over in Cody city:
•Never married: 19.0%
•Now married: 57.5%
•Separated: 1.8%
•Widowed: 7.9%
•Divorced: 13.8%

Why on earth would they include 15 year olds in stats on marriage? Only 19% of the 15 year olds are still single? 13.8% are divorced?

You had better watch yourself, we'll have you married off in no time.
As the mother of a 14 year old, you have now scared me silly. Thankfully, she still prefers her horse to boys! Whew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming