Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM

8 posts, read 14,747 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Cody, and I am just wondering how the atmosphere is for younger people like 20s -late 20s age range. Also, I know that the closest big city is Billings, but I'm just curious how the drive is to get up there? Seriously, any advice would be appreciated! I have a great job offer, the location is just what freaks me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 10:51 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
I can't answer your questions about the demographics in town, but the drive to Billings is pretty easy. You always want to be careful and check the road conditions in Wyoming and Montana, but don't let that freak you out. Also, Cody is a decent-sized town and has a few basic amenities like Wally World and Walgreen's. If these are your biggest concerns you have little to worry about. Welcome to Wyoming!

Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I guess it depends on what driving conditions you are used to. The roads in Wyoming are kept pretty clean from snow but there is always a possibility of driving on snow and ice during the winter. The biggest problems are normally visibility and not actual ice or snow on the road.

When people say they do their shopping in Billings, they are not talking about every day or even every week, but maybe trips once a month or even longer. Some folks never shop in Billings. It is just that. Billings offers more variaty and it's tax free. A little planning and setting yourself up to be more self sufficient is key. For instance, at any given time I have at least 2-3 months worth of food stored in my cabin, most people do. Veggie, milk, eggs and things you buy often are picked up locally.

What part of the country are you coming from, are you used to these driving conditions?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks WyoEagle and ElkHunter for your quick replies. ElkHunter, I'm from the south, not the deep south though, so I see snow every winter but I'm sure it's nothing like out there in Wyoming. So, no, I don't have experience driving in harsh winter weather. I've read though that the winters in Cody aren't as harsh as in the rest of the state. I probably wouldn't ever attempt the drive to Billings in the winter to be honest.

Does anybody have any insight into the other part of my question? Is there stuff to do for people in the 20-30 age bracket/are there a decent number of people in Cody that are in that age range? I'd like to be able to make friends if I move there.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:15 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
There's no 'scene' here in Wyoming. People generally come here to get AWAY from that sortof 'lifestyle' façade.

Billings has night-clubs, raves, drugs, one or two gangs are trying to make a foot-hold there, and the younger generation (having been raised by the 'tragically-successful/fabulously-mobile jet-setting types who move to Cody) are showing increasing signs of trying to pattern-themselves after the 'ghetto-thug/Fast-And-Furious 'zoom-zoom' race-car wanna-be's fresh from Kalifornia...but the town of Cody is still (to some extent) largely moderate/conservative for the most part.

Cody is and always has been (mostly) an upper-crust Wranglers an' Boots 'touristy' kindof town...

Somewhere (elsewhere) mentioned that she didn't think Cody would ever be LIKE Jackson...but every now and then whenever I pass through; she (the town) FEELS more and more like a 'sister' to Jackson...MINUS the availability of ski-slopes...

I like it, I once would've sold my soul to move there and spend the rest of my days there...but the old-school cow-outfits are pretty much gone, as are the mannerisms and etiquette that went along with them...

Old 06-01-2013, 12:37 PM

Ltdumbear, I'm not looking for a "scene" in terms of clubbing/rave night life. i'm not from a big city so that's not a concern for me at all. i've never lived somewhere with gangs and drug problems... i'm from a pretty wholesome southern town. so, sorry if you misunderstood. i'm just wondering if there is a presence at all of younger people in the town, like maybe tour guides or instructors of the touristy attractions or whatever. Like I said in my previous post... I'd just like to make friends that are my age once I get there.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliescott View Post
i'm just wondering if there is a presence at all of younger people in the town, like maybe tour guides or instructors of the touristy attractions or whatever. Like I said in my previous post... I'd just like to make friends that are my age once I get there.
We're very plain spoken folks here so don't be bashful. It was obvious from your first post that you wondered about girls; and we do have them. Many young people leave after high school and return when they're hitched and ready to have a family; this is the kind of place where people want to raise their kids. But there are still many decent young women here; a good number are educated professionals. I assume that you're looking for a year round girl; most of the girls in the tourist industry only come for the summer months. But you'll find one.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
We're very plain spoken folks here so don't be bashful. It was obvious from your first post that you wondered about girls; and we do have them. Many young people leave after high school and return when they're hitched and ready to have a family; this is the kind of place where people want to raise their kids. But there are still many decent young women here; a good number are educated professionals. I assume that you're looking for a year round girl; most of the girls in the tourist industry only come for the summer months. But you'll find one.
Haha I really wasn't talking about girls... I'd like to make friends regardless of their gender... I'm more concerned about age. Like I'm genuinely looking to make friends. I don't want to be somewhere where I'm completely isolated from people my own age. Thanks for the reply regardless though.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:33 PM

231 posts, read 785,076 times
I've only visited Cody once (I live in Pinedale), but from what I've seen and heard, there are plenty of young people there. I know here in Pinedale (pop. 2000) there are a lot more 20-and-30-somethings than I expected, which was a pleasant surprise (I'm 25). A lot of the young people I know come here for jobs with the forest service or BLM or for summer work somewhere, or they grew up here, left and came back.

I bet it would be similar in Cody.

Also, I'm not sure if this is just because I'm getting older or because it's something about Wyoming, or maybe a little bit of both, but I find that almost all the people here have a "young" attitude. They're friendly, talkative and energetic. Many of my best friends I've made here are not "young" by any means, but we all have sort of the same attitude and outlook so I don't even notice the age.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:49 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
The Cody Rec Center has many many people your age of both genders. Tons of young guys who are hunters, 4 wheelers, outdoor enthusiasts, bow and gun and fishing enthusiasts. Lots of road bikers (bicycle and motorcycle). North West College is in Powell (20 miles away). Two ski resorts (one outside Cody and one in Red Lodge) with many young people. Many many people your age group roaming around town throughout the summer. Some decent bars. Plenty of opportunities to meet, get to know and establish friendships with people of all ages.

Don't worry about the winters too much around Cody. We get snow and then it melts and then it snows again. Nowhere near as much snow as I have seen in other parts of the country. Same with temperatures - they are overall more moderate than twenty other places I could think of around the country just off the top of my head. The wind - that's a different story. It gets so strong sometimes it feels like it could rip your head off. We moved here from TN and winters (aside from the wind) are not as bad as other parts of the state.

The biggest thing you'll have to get used to is the isolation. There's a good number of small towns, communities and cities throughout Wyoming, that are all separated by endless miles of absolutely nothing.

As WY towns go, Cody has all the basics you'll need to get by - a few restaurants (a couple of fast food places, and a bunch of overall lousy mom and pop places). A hospital, medical clinics, gas stations, a few bars, a movie theater, a couple of chain grocery stores, a great rec center, a great public library, endless special events throughout the summer, and the best outdoor recreation you could ever ask for. If you don't have any ties I say go for it. A totally different world from the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming