U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:04 PM

649 posts, read 932,718 times

Advertisements

Hello we will be up in your neck of the woods doing some camping for a week starting next Sunday. Does anyone have any advice or is there anything we should be aware of? Also any recommendations on things we should not miss? It is our first time in the Bighorns and we are really looking forward to the trip. We will be in a trailer, have plenty of Deet and are very familiar with camping in bear country. Also we won't be bothering with a camp fire or charcoal, we are coming from Colorado and have no desire to be near any fire right now!

We will be spending some time in Sheridan too so if you see a mid 40's couple walking around with four dogs (yup FOUR 2 whippets, a Chinese Crested and a Chihuahua mix) please say "hi". And if you see a silver 1963 Avalair camper, it looks like a cross between and Airstream and an Avion, camped near you come over and say hello. We can offer you a cold beer and some semi decent conversation
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,266,000 times
Gosh, I have no advice. It's pretty easy to have a good time anywhere up there. Have fun!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 PM

18,696 posts, read 39,744,406 times
Have you picked out where you are going to camp? Are you looking at a campground or just primitive camping out in the mountains?

Up Hwy 14, you'll want to see Tie Flume, Lookout Mtn, the Medicine Wheel, in Ranchester Connor Battlefield, around Story, there will be Fetterman Battle Field, Wagon Box, etc... If we know where you are planning on camping, we can probably give some better recommendations.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Hi ElkHunter, I love reading your posts on the forum.

We are looking at possibly Dead Swede campground or Sibley Lake as both still have sites available. We can also do primitive camping in the mountains as long as the road is decent. The old girl we are towing can't take very rugged roads due to clearance. Dirt or washboard is no problem though. What we might do is stay the first night in Sheridan in a commercial campground as the drive from Colorado Springs will be about 8 hours. That way we are not searching around in the dark.

I know that first week of July may be busy but we have had some last minute changes. A little background, we had been planning on camping in the Big Horns late summer/early fall because we have always wanted to see the area and Sheridan has been on the shortlist of places we have thought about moving too, location, size being huge draws. My husband's family is from Cheyenne and I love Wyoming but being born and raised in the Colorado mountains, Cheyenne does not feel like home to me and we are also looking for a much smaller town.

We had the upcoming week in July already reserved at a State Park in Colorado. Well it turns out there is a forest fire burning where we were going to camp and throughout a large portion of our forests right now. So here we are with time off and no place so we thought we would head north now instead of waiting and check out the area. We were backpackers before we got our trailer two years ago so primitive campgrounds are luxurious to us definitely don't need amenities as we are very self contained.

Also we will have our dogs with us so museums etc will not be an option this time around.

Thank you!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM

There is no telling how busy campgrounds will be when you get here. There is a FREE park in Sheridan, on Coffeen Ave called Washington Park. One or two night stuff is free there. No hookups. There is a big RV park at the second exit in Sheridan, don't know the cost but it has full hookups.

Also, Connor Battlefield in Ranchester is a low priced (state) campground, I think $11 or $12? As you come into Ranchester, it's about 4 blocks in and you'll see the Silver Spur Bar, turn left in front of the bar and go about a half mile, it will be on the left. Really nice little park with bathrooms, potable water available, but no hookups on the camp sites. I drive my 4 wheeler through this park every day and today there was one camper and he spends the summer. There are about a dozen sights is all. Not a lot of people know about this park. Unless WyoNewk has been giving away our secret. I was cruising the park one day and had the rare opportunity to meet the gentleman. There is also a RV park in Ranchester (don't know the cost) about half way through town on the left side (a block past the Silver Spur Bar, as you are headed for the mountains.

Dayton has a RV park just as you hit Dayton and it's on the left. A friend stayed there last summer and it was $27 a night for a spot that had water and electric, but no sewer. Not sure what full hookups are, they have them.

You are limited to about 3,000 primitive places you can pull your trailer in to. Just about anything on Black Mountain road, has streams near it, plus there is Tie Flume camp ground. State campground. If you go past Black Mountain Road, just before you get to Bear Lodge, you can turn right and go down the county road past the maintenance building for the forest service/state and back on that road there is camping all over the place. That's my elk hunting area.

I have camped the Big Horns in a sleeping bag, a tent, a pickup, a camper, and even a 40 ft 5th wheel. I have never paid for a campground in all the years I have went up there.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 PM

Thank you ElkHunter, that is some great information!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
Thank you ElkHunter, that is some great information!
You are more than welcome.

There is just so much to do in the Big Horns, when I go camping, I'm glad to get back home so I can rest up for the next trip up on top. I was just up last week on Wednesday. Hit the springs at Steamboat (dog loves a drink out of the cold water), Lookout, Dead Swede, Tie Flume (not the campground), Little Goose, and then down Red Grade. The guy I took up there lives in North East Iowa. Took him up to Sand Point and had him pull over by the guard rail so he could see the view (he was driving). I've never seen anybody slam it in reverse so quick. Vertigo. Then when we got over at the top of Red Grade, I had him drive up on the knob to get one last look. Driving down Red Grade, he drove on the left side of the road, all the way to the bottom. He didn't want to move over towards the right side.

Saw Elk, Moose, and a few Muley's.

One thing I was going to mention is that even though we have bears in the Big Horns, they are Black Bears and I have never heard of a problem. That doesn't mean you can be careless, just means it's not normally a problem. My daughter went up and got her Bull Elk for 8 seasons in a row before she ever saw a bear in the mountains, unfortunately, her very first encounter was on horseback with a pack horse in tow. That'll put the "boy howdy" in your cowboyin.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 AM

[quote=ElkHunter;30160523]
Driving down Red Grade, he drove on the left side of the road, all the way to the bottom. He didn't want to move over towards the right side.
quote]

That is funny, you should show him this picture

Good to know about the bears. We have never had any problems with black bears here either, we are careful about food storage and garbage though. In fact most of the bears we have seen have been in town and not while camping.

I do have a funny bear story though. A few years back hubby and I were hiking out from a back packing trip in the Sangre de Cristo mountains near Westcliffe Colorado. At the bottom of the trail which starts from a campground we met a ranger who told this story.

There had been a large group of campers from out of state that decided to have a big family reunion camping trip there. Part of the group came up from Texas and brought a bunch of T-bone steaks to grill. Well they had these steaks, about 17 of them, in a large cooler that was sitting in the shade on a picnic table. So they go off exploring and when they get back to camp the cooler had been destroyed by a black bear and all the steaks devoured.

The gal who brought the steaks was irate. They got a hold of someone at the local forest service office who came over to the camp. The woman was demanding that the forest service refund her the $300 for the steaks. As much as the ranger tried to explain to her that they are responsible for practicing safe food storage, she would not calm down and was screaming obscenities at him. So finally the ranger issued her a ticket...for illegally feeding wildlife.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM

9,728 posts, read 19,769,326 times
Funny story!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 PM

And then there is the old story about "Know your Environment, know what kind of bears are in the area."

You should always wear bells on your shoe laces so bears know you are coming.

To identify what type of bears are in your area, you simply look at the feces when you find it. Black Bears will have berrys and grub worms in their feces, because they eat lots of grubs, and berrys off the trees. Grizzly's will have little bells and shoe laces in their feces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>