Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:57 AM

213 posts, read 765,275 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the Clark, WY area? I know it's very small, but didn't know if it was very close to any big cities. The biggest I could find was Cody about 47 miles and Billings, MT 80 miles. Was curious about the weather, snow, wind, etc. so any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 33,289 times
Clark, WY is very small - with Cody & Billings being the closest "large" cities. The weather is pretty similar to what you would find in Cody, but the wind can get to be pretty bad since Clark sits at the mouth of the Clark's Fork Canyon. I grew up in Cody and still visit often, but I can't really think of anything that stands out about Clark - other than it is quite a ways out of town. Of course, if you like ot fish, hike, or just enjoy wonderful mountain views it's great ~ as long as you can stand the wind!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 14,851 times
I was just down to Clark, Wyoming last weekend. I was hoping to get some pictures of this town. Supposedly it is listed as a ghost town by some sources, but that can mean that folks still live there, but the population is down considerable from what it once was. I heard there is one small country store there, which I did not find the correct road. Mostly it appears to be a rural ranching area. I did find an old country school house, called Pioneer School and got some pictures of that. Carbon County, Montana just north of it had a coal mining history and was wondering if Clark was founded for the same reason?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 14,836 times
My husband spent some time in Clark when he was younger and he loved it. He's also the outdoors, hunting, fishing hiking type so it fits him. There is not much out there. They have a store/movie rental/ bar/ restaurant/ gas station on the main highway that runs through there, its called Eidlewiess and also a small church a little off the beaten path. I've met the pastor and he's a really great guy. Other than that there isn't a whole lot to it. Cody is about 45 minutes south and it's a great town.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:04 PM

208 posts, read 909,700 times
Clark is NOT a town.... it's more of a "community." There is nothing there other than some ranches, a school and rec center, and one small store as alik mentioned. There's some oil production going on up on Line Creek, but other than that and Edelweiss only farm/ranch. It's a spectacular area and will fit if you're into isolation and have a remote source of income. The people are very friendly and it's a fairly tight-knit community.

This picture is what you see overlooking Clark.... BT plateau and Clark's Fork along with sagebrush and critters. I would move there again in a hot second if I wasn't tied to a job here in Gillette.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/laksupply/Wyoming%20BigHorn%20Beartooth/ClarkWY0001.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-28-2008, 12:26 AM

430 posts, read 1,623,035 times
Molon Labe hit it on the head - most ppl who live there work in Cody, Red Lodge or Billings (or some of the small towns heading towards Billings) but many are "hunting cabins / summer homes" or the "ranches". They aren't the big ranches generally speaking - mostly small horse farms or things like that - not money-makers, just things like that. But is really beautiful. BLM land all around (BLM tho can allow pretty much whatever they please with the land - isn't always what the "neighbors" want - which includes the drilling on Line Creek...), USFS bordering, wilderness but a lot of critters & wind. REALLY isolated. Eidelweiss is a small convenience type store, some expensive gas & mostly a bar. That's about all there is - not even a post office; their addresses are a contracted route from Powell - about 35 or 40 miles away. BUT there is a nice fish hatchery up there...

Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 14,019 times
When 'critters' is mentioned-what is meant by 'critters'? Also, when wind is mentioned-what do you mean? Anyone with an answer just jump in.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 13,695 times
Boats1 - critters = foxes, coyotes, mule deer, white tail deer, antelope, bunnies, jackrabbits, owls, eagles, golden and bald, red-tail hawks. Thats the stuff you see around houses and ranches. Up in the cayons and mountains, critters include wolves, elk, bears, mountain lions, mountain goats. Thats the critters I have personally seen and I am confident I have missed several species of birds. Wind - when it blows, it really blows. Almost hurricane force. Snow often falls (?) horizontally when Clark wind is involved. Opening car and trailer doors can require extreme caution.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 28,589 times
I visited Clark in Sept 2007 for the purpose of buying land just off WY hwy 120 three miles south of Montana border. I fell in love with the whole area. Few people i met all waved & were most friendly. Yes i ran into some wind gusts 40-45 mph. The natural beauty is awesome, wildlife abundunt. Perfect place to retire & i will in 10 yr's Lord willing. Cost of living some of the lowest in the USA. Wy no state income tax & just across the border in Montana no sales tax. Its truely God's country as long as you can take care of you & yours. And not are depended on big government to take care of you. Will be going out there again in 2009 or 2010. Also Cody is a awesome town with a super Wal-Mart.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 28,589 times
f350 havent figured out how to direct message yet. But yes i purchased parcels 16 & 15 in 2007. I've been in touch with Dean Petty from R.M.T. He says the poles are coming up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming