Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 5,520 times

Advertisements

Can't find any big internet providers that seem to function in Wyoming. Even medium size internet providers are not really in evidence. Just a bunch of Mom and Pop folks who charge simply amazing rates and have Caps on the datastream. My Wife, Son, and I work for Microsoft and need a company that doesn't have a cap...will be happy to pay a high monthly fee for a decent Mps rate...say 15/5 But a cap is just something that will be detrimental to our jobs. Any suggestions would be great. Looking for information about the Green River-Rock Springs area. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
With that kind of demand, why not lease a T1? I know, not cheap but think of the positive trade-offs you get with having a dedicated run to your home. You can also check with the cable operator to see if they have any fiber available, I know that it was available up in Lander and Riverton (through the cable company, who sold the overhead they had bought for themselves), though it was Expensive. Of course, both of those will be Lower speeds, but lots of throughput and no caps.

Otherwise, start talking with the locals about your needs and their available business plans. The benefit of NOT having some huge, faceless national company is that you can talk with a real person, usually someone with a clue of what's going on, and get direct answers. Lots of times you can also work out a deal for exactly what you need. I certainly didn't have issues with the "mom and pop" option when I was networking 6 library buildings together in Fremont County, the service was on par with the big national companies (and better when there were service issues ~ priceless to have a live and Local person answering the phone) and I'm finding that pricing was actually better than what I get to pay now with one of the national companies.

Think of it as your first culture shock of the Many you'll face if/when you move to Wyoming. Embrace the fact that it "isn't like it was back home", because you'll need to have that attitude to really fit in and thrive.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:40 AM

234 posts, read 267,113 times
You might check with Lariat (based in Laramie). There was a program on Wyoming PBS about their service. I don't know if they serve Green River-Rock Springs area or not. You can read about their services and contact them at this link:

Laramie ISP - LARIAT.NET Home Page - Laramie, WY WISP

Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
In the Sheridan area, depending where in town you are going to live, Dedicated DSL will only get you speeds of 3-7meg. If you happen to move into a house that is setting right next to the switching station, you "might" get 7 meg, max.

As far as going to a T-1 line, it would slow you down. You can get faster speeds from other avenues. A T-1 line only guarentees 1.5 meg.

Using my phone as a hot spot, I get 3443kbps down and 1142kbps up, using AT&T.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:27 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
It's bad. No matter where you are, unless you want to pay high prices for it. I have had it in towns, rural over air and satellite dish type.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times
rural over air here 100 Mbps but usually only runs up to maybe 10% of that

Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM

117 posts, read 526,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighterDays View Post
You might check with Lariat (based in Laramie). There was a program on Wyoming PBS about their service. I don't know if they serve Green River-Rock Springs area or not. You can read about their services and contact them at this link:

Laramie ISP - LARIAT.NET Home Page - Laramie, WY WISP
Lariat is a sad, sad joke. You're lucky they don't serve your area. They make it a lucrative deal to apartment and other property managers to include their service in your rent, so you don't even have a choice but to pay for it. It worked less than 50% of the time I tried over a month. I quickly fled (as quickly as I could without the cable company having hooked up the apartments yet, new build). Customer service included explicatives from Brett (the owner) in my direction for calling so frequently. People in Laramie who may read this in the future, RUN!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM

234 posts, read 267,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a42887 View Post
Lariat is a sad, sad joke. You're lucky they don't serve your area. They make it a lucrative deal to apartment and other property managers to include their service in your rent, so you don't even have a choice but to pay for it. It worked less than 50% of the time I tried over a month. I quickly fled (as quickly as I could without the cable company having hooked up the apartments yet, new build). Customer service included explicatives from Brett (the owner) in my direction for calling so frequently. People in Laramie who may read this in the future, RUN!
Thanks for the info. My only knowledge of the company was from the report on Wyoming PBS.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,520 times
Am looking at Rock Springs at the moment....but thank you all... Jon.

Last edited by New2Wyoming; 07-27-2013 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: error

Old 07-31-2013, 02:22 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,940 times
With OPtimum is Sheridan we get 15m service most of the time. When Charter takes over I am very sure the service will suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming