Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:28 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times

Advertisements

Just make sure you leave "All" of California behind you.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 21,763 times
I spent many years growing up in Wyoming and left for a bigger city in Colorado years ago. I'll never move back.

1) Limited career opportunities. Only one university.
2) Long distance or out of state trips to do things people in other areas take for granted
3) Limited or no public transit
4) For such an "outdoor friendly" state, a bike community/bike lanes are non-existent
5) Social programs, events, concerts, movie selection, etc lacking
6) I can't stand running into the same people I went to high school on a weekly basis
7) Short summer. Long winter. Often windy.
8) Lacking cultural diversity/influences
9) Limited resources for shopping choices

I could go on, but those are some of the main reasons I left. If you enjoy the area, that's all that matters. Outside the occasional summer trip to Jackson, I cannot stand the place. Like I mentioned, Wyoming residents always seem to boast their love of the outdoors and their ways of the old west (whatever the means?) but you're lucky if you see that many people outside on bikes, jogging, hiking that you see in surrounding states like Colorado or Utah. In many instances you have to drive out to the middle of nowhere in a huge truck to partake in many of those activities. And most of my Wyoming peers tell me they can't stand pollution and driving. Ha! I think most of my reasons have to do with the fact that Wyoming has such a low population.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 AM

215 posts, read 667,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beard_of_doom View Post
I spent many years growing up in Wyoming and left for a bigger city in Colorado years ago. I'll never move back.

2) Long distance or out of state trips to do things people in other areas take for granted
4) For such an "outdoor friendly" state, a bike community/bike lanes are non-existent
6) I can't stand running into the same people I went to high school on a weekly basis

I could go on, but those are some of the main reasons I left. If you enjoy the area, that's all that matters. Outside the occasional summer trip to Jackson, I cannot stand the place. Like I mentioned, Wyoming residents always seem to boast their love of the outdoors and their ways of the old west (whatever the means?) but you're lucky if you see that many people outside on bikes, jogging, hiking that you see in surrounding states like Colorado or Utah. In many instances you have to drive out to the middle of nowhere in a huge truck to partake in many of those activities. And most of my Wyoming peers tell me they can't stand pollution and driving. Ha! I think most of my reasons have to do with the fact that Wyoming has such a low population.
Jeez --- Having a bad weekend or what ? --- Major negative nancy here --Please go away -- We understand that you don't like Wyoming but what you don't seem to realize is that all the reasons you don't like Wyoming are the same reasons many of us love it. And the reason you see more people out in Utah and Colorado enjoying the outdoors is that there are wayyyyyyy more people there DAH !!!!!!! What you need to prove your point is a ratio of people who are couch potatos to the outdoor enjoyer .

Old 08-17-2008, 07:45 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,521 times
Default and I'm originally from CO and moved to WY

Quote:

Difference strokes I guess. I'm originally from Colorado, lived there for 29 years, moved to WY 15 years ago and now can't understand why I didn't get here (and out of there!) sooner.

The wind is our friend - it keeps our state "under" populated.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 55,501 times
Default Beard of Doom & Wyom. politicians

Moderator cut: the post you are referring to has been deleted
I wish people in Wyoming would stop trying to defend derelict public officials with statements like "he/she protects our quality of life." Because someone, or a given party, has been in office since the dawn of time does not automatically mean that a change will mean the end of the quality of our life as we know it. For example, demanding that Federal authorities enforce health and safety regulations on gas and oil drilling sites does NOT endanger the quality of life here.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 08-18-2008 at 01:10 AM..

Old 08-18-2008, 07:36 AM

25 posts, read 90,572 times
Quote:

Wow! Wish I could move right now. Sounds like heaven to me. Can't wait to get things settled here and get moving.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 AM

127 posts, read 346,712 times
Sounds good to me to, reikihands! I can't imagine why anyone would leave!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Default Why are people leaving wyoming

I cant vouch for rest of wyoming, but i live in sheridan and was born and raised here and i can tell you yes, it is beautiful, good hunting and good fishing, but that is it. Jobs are crap and they pay even worse. Your lucky if you find one with benefits. The pay is terrible. Housing is terrible. No rentals whatsoever and what there is, is so high no one can afford them. The cost of buying a house is through the roof. And if you are young and do work, forget babysitters. There is a TREMENDOUS shortage of daycare/babysitters here. This town is a greedy town. Methane gas came in and with it, lots of people. The town thought, "oh great, lets raise our prices on EVERYTHING and we will make mega bucks" and that is just what they did. The once nice Sheridan place to live has turned into another Jackson Hole, that only the rich can afford to live here. And that is why people leave. If your not rich, you cant afford to live here.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 PM

7 posts, read 55,501 times
Default Sacrifices, and employment

Oil and gas drilling jobs (rig workers) are about the only exception to what "high circle" said. However, even for those jobs, one needs to be young, and in fairly decent physical shape. While the pay is good, you earn every single penny. The work requires hours under temperatures ranging from near 100 to -10, depending on the time of the year, with even lower "wind chill" readings in the winter. The work can dangerous as some drillers don't observe health and safety regulations.

Reasonably priced housing IS available in Wyoming IF you are willing to sacrifice. I purchased the home I'm in now, two years ago, for just under 70K. The "down" side is that the town I live in is about 20 miles away from groceries and limited medical care. The nearest Wal-Mart is 45 miles away, with the nearest large hospital being 75 miles. The "up" side is that my town is very quiet, and very safe. Also, in small rural Wyoming towns, you don't need the permits normally related to the purchase of a home, or major home improvements.

To my understanding, Sheridan and Teton Counties have become populated with newcomers who are insisting on "importing" all the values of their former state--to the detriment of the quality of life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming