Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:34 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,607,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas_Moneyman View Post
I am resident of Las Vegas, NV and am doing research on people moving from Wyoming to Las Vegas, NV. I have interviewed dozens of people. Thus far, my data indicates that many people from Wyoming are quite dull, they do not quite fit in a large metropolis of many cultures, and their choice of fashion is out-dated. Many persons from Wyoming who leave the state claim that Wyoming is a very boring state.
As a former Wyomingite, (still so, in my heart), I'd be real curious on a few points, such as why were you doing research on people moving from WY to LV? Just how, exactly, did you come across "dozens" of people to interview, and why did they agree to talk with you? (Of course, you may have posted what you did simply to get a rise out of folks, which obviously has worked, but what the heck, I'll throw in my two cents worth, as well).

Now, beyond the questions, I would also say this: Your "data" is about as full of holes as Swiss cheese. People from WY are from far dull. We're actually a pretty interesting bunch. Wyomingites generally get along just fine with other people, whether in their own backyard, (so long as those other folks aren't trying to change everything about WY, after they move there), or elsewhere, and it doesn't really seem to matter what color or religion they are, how much money they make, what they do for a living, etc. Most Wyomingites believe in tolerance. They believe in giving people a chance to prove themselves, as to what kind of person they are. Most Wyomingites believe in a "live and let live" kind of policy. They value honesty, and folks being real, not a Tinsel Town kind of "sincerity".

As far as choice of fashion, well, to some folks it may be outdated, but it depends on one's perspective. Of course, due to television, movies, fashion magazines, the internet, etc., if folks want to dress just like everyone else, they are certainly capable of doing so, and do. If you're talking about our beloved boots and hats, that's a cultural thing, no different than flip-flops and shorts in Florida, (where I happen to live, now). Even after the amount of time that I have spent here, I don't wear flip-flops and shorts. I still wear boots and jeans, (and even my hat, on occasion). Maybe someday, I'll be able to go back home, and wear them there.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 9,184 times
Default Don't worry, he just does not have a clue.

Quote:
I am resident of Las Vegas, NV and am doing research on people moving from Wyoming to Las Vegas, NV. I have interviewed dozens of people. Thus far, my data indicates that many people from Wyoming are quite dull, they do not quite fit in a large metropolis of many cultures, and their choice of fashion is out-dated. Many persons from Wyoming who leave the state claim that Wyoming is a very boring state.
LVM probably has lived in big city towns all of his life and does not know how much better life is in a smaller town.

I have lived in Los Angeles for the past 14 years and am truly sick of it. The smog, traffic, eons of asphalt and concrete......hmmm, sounds like Vegas, doesn't it?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,052,052 times
Quote:
Many persons from Wyoming who leave the state claim that Wyoming is a very boring state.
Please tell as many people as you can how boring Wyoming is. If you could do us all the favor of moving to California and spread the word there, we would all be very appreciative!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,883,376 times
STOP FEEDING THE TROLL...he's baiting you gang...don't let him do it.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:04 AM

37 posts, read 159,841 times
Love Wyoming..Guess I'm just a cowboy at heart, but Wyoming is the best. I love it because it is a close to America's heritage of independence, freedom, and cuture that is, in my view, available today. The small government is the cure all and Wyoming is a perfect example. I love the fact you need a birth certificate to get your license, this keeps the illegals out, or they walk. Beautiful! Low crime, not many perverts..they are all in MT. I love the fact that the prop. taxes are low, no income tax, and yes, you need to take care of yourself..the American way. Granted, the weather isn't a cakewalk, but there are few places where it is perfect. So, cowboy up and get tough. The University is fantastic..good kids, a few marxist teachers running around..but you you just have to laugh at the dopey thoughts..need to cleanse the University of the few secular progressives though..the "we know what is best for all crowd" but they are from the East not from Wyoming. But, for the most part a good group of faculty. Wyoming is great, it needs to Stay the way it is!!!

Old 11-22-2007, 11:22 PM

37 posts, read 155,399 times
I really hope that the majority of the population continues to be comfortable in the knowledge that Wyoming is incredibly boring, and noone with any brains would live here.
In response to the other question about why people leave Wyoming...there are several reasons. Generally speaking, as the other posts indicate, some people just aren't cut out for this type of lifestyle. We are isolated from many of the conveniences that most people take for granted. It can be difficult to access medical needs, and most shopping, shows, etc, require a good deal of driving.
If you are single you might get rather lonely. As stated before, the locals pretty much stay here. The youth leave to get an education and learn about the world, but I've also noticed that many come back within a few years.
Those of us who moved here from other places and decided to stay, did so because we wanted the independent lifestyle, the peace and quiet that is available. We weren't interested in malls, concerts, and the most modern styles. Most of our driveways have pickups and ATV's parked in them. With maybe a horse or two, and a couple of snowmobiles.
Wyoming summers are short, no matter which end of the state you live in. I live in Encampment, a town of 400, 20 miles south of Saratoga, pop. 1700. I love it here. The only other place I would choose to live is Alaska. From my house, it's 90 miles to Laramie and Walmart and Safeway. Saratoga has a very small grocery store. The nearest hospital is 60 miles away in Rawlins. There is a clinic in Saratoga, but they are closed during the holidays, so you have to go to Rawlins, or Laramie. The nearest mall is 150 miles, in Cheyenne. The worst part of living here is when several hundred hunters converge in our small towns during October and chase the animals around for two weeks.
Our winters are tough, it was -14 this morning. Our summers are short, as I said, and we have a boom and bust cycle that has gone on for at least 100 years. Unfortunately, many people come here, thinking they will be well off, then the boom busts and they are stranded in a place they hate. My husband and I have pretty good jobs, but like anywhere, the cost of living has gone up, and we're never gonna get rich, at least not financially. I consider us to be very well off however. We can walk out our back door 150 yards south of the fence and we are on public land. There is some private property here and there, but for the most part, there are thousands of acres accessible for hiking, fishing, goofing off, and taking the dogs for a swim. I can't run to the store for a gallon of milk if it's after 7, and I have to drive 20 miles to get a movie if I want to rent one.
Wyomingites have a tendency to fight changes, but that's because we love it here, and we don't see any reason to change.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:05 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,216,636 times
First off, let me say that I do not hate Wyoming. I lived in Cheyenne for 10 years. I attended my last three years of elementary school, Junior High and High School there. I bought my first car, got my drivers license, had my first job and made some of the best friends of my life there.

In 2003, I moved to Denver to attend college. I graduated this past May and am now working here in Denver. I have no plans to ever move back to Wyoming. If anything, I would like to move to a larger city. Simply put, I'm a city boy. I have so many opportunities in Denver that I would never have in Wyoming and it was the best move I've ever made. Here are the primary reasons I left Cheyenne:

1) Lack of career opportunities. I have a degree in Marketing, and there are many opportunities for recent graduates in Denver.
2) Climate: I just couldn't stand the 9 months of wind.
3) Close minded attitude: This is not to offend anyone but I found Wyoming much too conservative.
4) Lack of entertainment: Just not much to do.
5) SLOW drivers

To each his own. I know many people who LOVE Wyoming and that's ok. It's just not a place that offered the kind of life I desire to live.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,500,753 times
Quote:
Well it sounds like a great place to me! Keep spreading the word. I would love to live there. Call me boring.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:38 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,500,753 times
P.S. If someone is concerned over who's wearing the latest fashions, they've got life's priorities mixed up big time. How shallow. I'd rather be boring to some than shallow. And I don't even live there but I'm growing fonder of the place minute by minute.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,987 times
People might be leaving, but people must be coming. Wyoming was ranked #2 in appreciation with a rate of 12.86% for the last quarter of 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming