Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM

185 posts, read 461,064 times

Advertisements

While I've got my heart set in Wyoming (made sure to leave it there during my 2 week vacation in it!) my poor husband still has those darn Iowan roots (pronounced 'ruts' by his family hehe) stuck in the ground.

Once we tie up his things here in a year, I entertained the idea of opening a game store with him. (Not like gamestop, like board games, card games, DnD, Magic the gathering, miniatures, the whole lot!)

I just read on the Star Trib about a guy in Casper who opened a store there last year or late 2011, which was encouraging! There are gamers out there!

While I'd like to ask if there's any stores in certain cities, it'd be better to know if there are gamers in them too...

I'm lookin' at Gillette, Buffalo, and less preferably Riverton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Gillette would probably be your best bet and then maybe Riverton. Buffalo is a pretty small town.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 PM

231 posts, read 784,799 times
I live in Buffalo and would definitely patronize such an establishment if one ever came here...

Sheridan would work too. Buffalo and Sheridan are close enough together that if there's a unique place in one or the other it's not unusual for people from one place to go to the other quite often.

For example people from Sheridan come to Buffalo all the time to eat at Winchester's for their amazing steak, while people from Buffalo go to Sheridan all the time to go to Walmart or Albertson's, etc.

That said though, Sheridan is a lot bigger than Buffalo but not quite as big as Gillette, but is definitely larger than Riverton. I'd probably look into Gillette or Sheridan first, though Buffalo is a great place to live too. (I would personally pick Sheridan over Gillette for living there, but that's just my opinion...)

Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
In my Wyoming travels, I see this type of merchandise available at other stores.

Typically, they incorporate several different facets, including book/magazine/newspaper sales, coffee/tea/juice sales, snack food sales, antiques/collectable/flea market sales, and similar related ventures under one roof.

IIRC, there is a shop on the main street of Sheridan that fits that description ... part pawn shop, part musical equipment sales, part junk/flea market sales, part sports card collectable store, etc. Been in there a couple of times, the owner was sitting around, noodling on a guitar to pass the time. Unless he's negotiating a lot on his prices, I didn't see how he could make a living at the place ... I saw little turn-over for much of his merchandise in several visits during 2012. Calling his shop "tatty" would be an insult to those little hole in the wall places where you'd go to dig through all the crap to find that one treasure you couldn't live without at a price you could justify ... and I've got a lot of practice passing time in such places in my travels throughout the state. I recall stopping in his place to look at a couple of violins because I have a neighbor who wants to take up "fiddlin'" with a country band he jams with ... but the merchandise was all beat-up old low quality student violins and he wanted the price points of new ones; I guess the new ones don't have the provenance of his old ones.

I can think of at least 4 similar shops in Cheyenne in addition to the B&N on Dell Range. I think those 4 shops all compete for a very limited niche marketplace which has been sought out by the prospective clientele. B&N is a totally different marketing paradigm, but it's clean, well-lit, organized, and professionally merchandised/managed/staffed which is a huge difference from the jumble of the other shops.

Two observations:

1) there is already a market presence in the towns you're considering for the merchandise you want to sell

2) the folk who sell it now appear to have multi-faceted businesses to survive

IMO, you need to investigate the real costs of a retail storefront in the respective towns you are looking at and weigh that against the likely clientele base and prospective sales volume/margins per average customer. If the existing shops are doing these sales as a sideline to their other operations, what will you do to capture the niche marketplace to your financial benefit?

What's your time worth?

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-15-2013 at 05:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming