U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-08-2013, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Idaho
5,809 posts, read 6,042,750 times
Reputation: 12273

Advertisements

How do automobile and truck drivers, in general, "feel" toward road cyclists, (bicycles)? Most roads do not have a shoulder between the fog line and the edge of the asphalt, thereby requiring a cyclist to ride just left of the fog line, (in the traffic lane). Do most Wyoming vehicles pass cyclists with enough room to ensure the safety of the cyclists? Or, as in most places in this country, cyclists are invisible and ride in fear of being struck? In a collision between a sub-twenty pound bicycle and a several ton vehicle . . . well, you know who "wins". Is it safe to cycle in Wyoming?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 PM
 
3,235 posts, read 3,094,787 times
Reputation: 5070
It is safe to cycle here. Well, as safe as your common sense can make you. I know of no one who doesn't care whether they hit a cyclist or not. All who I know take the responsibility of sharing the road and not hitting cyclists seriously.

That said, some on bicycles, especially from areas other than WY, seem to make careless mistakes and put themselves at risk. Riding on really pretty winding roads that appear deserted, are not deserted. Taking breaks on the pavement before climbing a hill on a turn is dangerous. Whizzing along a line of parked cars with your head down makes you essentially nonexistent. If you have to ride in the traffic lane, pay attention and if a car/truck is coming from behind and there is traffic oncoming, get off the road. Why would one even want to be in that mess? Riding close to the driving lane, on the line separating the shoulder from the cars, is a bad idea when a one-ton truck with dual wheels and extended mirrors pulling a trailer full of hay or cattle comes by trying to stay in it's own lane because it can't drift to the other and make it back before the oncoming cars pass it. It makes the driver slow way down in order to not hit the cyclist, and chances are s/he is working and won't appreciate the lack of consideration. It will make them swear, and as a people we don't like to swear at guests.

Assume some responsibility. Use caution as your guide. Enjoy your visit.

I cycle in both north central and southeastern WY. I also live and work in those areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,791 posts, read 44,859,417 times
Reputation: 9433
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
How do automobile and truck drivers, in general, "feel" toward road cyclists, (bicycles)? Most roads do not have a shoulder between the fog line and the edge of the asphalt, thereby requiring a cyclist to ride just left of the fog line, (in the traffic lane). Do most Wyoming vehicles pass cyclists with enough room to ensure the safety of the cyclists? Or, as in most places in this country, cyclists are invisible and ride in fear of being struck? In a collision between a sub-twenty pound bicycle and a several ton vehicle . . . well, you know who "wins". Is it safe to cycle in Wyoming?
It is probably safer to cycle in Wyoming as long as you are making an effort to not make a road hazard of yourself. Being sparsely populated, most of Wyoming has less traffic then many other places, which reduced the potential for conflicts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Cabin Creek
3,240 posts, read 5,204,112 times
Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is probably safer to cycle in Wyoming as long as you are making an effort to not make a road hazard of yourself. Being sparsely populated, most of Wyoming has less traffic then many other places, which reduced the potential for conflicts.
L O T O J A 2 0 1 3
now this just pisses me off more so because of the support vehicles' and family driving along with the racers.... I just try to be gone that day
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 04:02 PM
 
3,235 posts, read 3,094,787 times
Reputation: 5070
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
L O T O J A 2 0 1 3
now this just pisses me off more so because of the support vehicles' and family driving along with the racers.... I just try to be gone that day
Yeah. It really screws up getting anything done.

There was a bunch in Big Horn last night training for something. All over the road. Couldn't make corners. Really peeved that working people were driving to their homes, they were griping about the volume of traffic.

Tough.

Groups like that are so divisive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top