Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:34 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,611 times

Advertisements

Couldn't help but giggle at Georgiainwyo's post; she may very well have been talking about me! (And we know each other, so maybe she was! lol)

I'm not originally from Wyoming. I'm originally from The Southâ„¢. We dress for occasions (and non-occasions). If I'm out on a "date" with my husband, I may well wear jeans with heels, a dressy blouse and pearls. Depending on the venue, I'll go far dressier than that. If I'm out with the horse, I'm in a jeans and boots. If I'm running up to the grocery store, whatever I was wearing anyway. If we're going to church, I'm dressed for church as I was raised (dress or skirt, dress shoes, dressed up to show respect). If my daughter is performing at school (or I go some other type of performance), I dress up as a sign of respect that I think her hard work is worthy of more than my "going to work the horse" clothes.

I'm not dressing for anyone else but for the way I was raised (and perhaps so my grandmother won't reach down from heaven and thump me). Frequently, I have remarks made toward me for "overdressing". That's ok. I keep my thoughts to myself, but I have yet to get accustomed to seeing worn out jeans and tshirts at weddings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 04:35 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,217,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
Couldn't help but giggle at Georgiainwyo's post; she may very well have been talking about me! (And we know each other, so maybe she was! lol)

I'm not originally from Wyoming. I'm originally from The Southâ„¢. We dress for occasions (and non-occasions). If I'm out on a "date" with my husband, I may well wear jeans with heels, a dressy blouse and pearls. Depending on the venue, I'll go far dressier than that. If I'm out with the horse, I'm in a jeans and boots. If I'm running up to the grocery store, whatever I was wearing anyway. If we're going to church, I'm dressed for church as I was raised (dress or skirt, dress shoes, dressed up to show respect). If my daughter is performing at school (or I go some other type of performance), I dress up as a sign of respect that I think her hard work is worthy of more than my "going to work the horse" clothes.

I'm not dressing for anyone else but for the way I was raised (and perhaps so my grandmother won't reach down from heaven and thump me). Frequently, I have remarks made toward me for "overdressing". That's ok. I keep my thoughts to myself, but I have yet to get accustomed to seeing worn out jeans and tshirts at weddings!
I had to laugh back at you! It is funny how that a lot of how we are is due to how we were raised. Having been raised in a Wyoming bar (literally!!! My parents owned a small-town bar and our house was a part of it!) there was never an expectation for me to get really dressed up. Of course, when I was in school, I had to for concerts, awards night, graduation, etc. That WAS expected, not only by my parents, but by the school! I do have to say that I would never think of wearing worn out jeans and an old tshirt to a wedding, though!!!! I do have some common sense and although I'm not dressed to the nines, I do get "a little dressed up" for those special occasions. I don't wear what I wear around home or to run to the store to places like church, either, but it is okay to wear a nice pair of jeans or shorts with a nice top. I don't work horses, so maybe the biggest difference between us is that my everyday clothes are different than your "going to work the horse" clothes. All I'm saying is that I really don't think most people in Wyoming expect women to dress the way they are expected to dress in most other places. Nice to get some giggles over silly things like clothes!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM

774 posts, read 2,581,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
I had to laugh back at you! It is funny how that a lot of how we are is due to how we were raised. Having been raised in a Wyoming bar (literally!!! My parents owned a small-town bar and our house was a part of it!) there was never an expectation for me to get really dressed up. Of course, when I was in school, I had to for concerts, awards night, graduation, etc. That WAS expected, not only by my parents, but by the school! I do have to say that I would never think of wearing worn out jeans and an old tshirt to a wedding, though!!!! I do have some common sense and although I'm not dressed to the nines, I do get "a little dressed up" for those special occasions. I don't wear what I wear around home or to run to the store to places like church, either, but it is okay to wear a nice pair of jeans or shorts with a nice top. I don't work horses, so maybe the biggest difference between us is that my everyday clothes are different than your "going to work the horse" clothes. All I'm saying is that I really don't think most people in Wyoming expect women to dress the way they are expected to dress in most other places. Nice to get some giggles over silly things like clothes!
Hey - I've seen you at church so I know you know how to dress up! You are exactly right; there are different expectations for dress other places than here and I do enjoy not having to sweat it quite so much. I've told DH many times that some belles back home would chew up some women out here and spit them out because it's so casual. (This is not a compliment to the South, btw.)

I very much have come to appreciate that there's less pressure here. At home, I wouldn't dream of stepping out of the house without hair perfect, fully made up, and a well-coordinated outfit if I had hopes of avoiding the gossips! Out here, I've learned that even toying with the idea of perfect hair is useless in this wind! I "could" go out after working with the girl's horse, but usually I've stepped in something or, at this time of year, reek of fly spray. Neither of which will make the fellow patrons of Adrianos happy! lol

DH still laughs at me over something that happened years ago back home. We'd come back from church and I'd changed into sweats for an uncharacteristically cold Memphis day - but forgot to take off my grandmother's pearls. He still teases me whenever I throw on sweats by asking if I'm really not going to wear my pearls with them to Walmart!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,217,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
Hey - I've seen you at church so I know you know how to dress up! You are exactly right; there are different expectations for dress other places than here and I do enjoy not having to sweat it quite so much. I've told DH many times that some belles back home would chew up some women out here and spit them out because it's so casual. (This is not a compliment to the South, btw.)

I very much have come to appreciate that there's less pressure here. At home, I wouldn't dream of stepping out of the house without hair perfect, fully made up, and a well-coordinated outfit if I had hopes of avoiding the gossips! Out here, I've learned that even toying with the idea of perfect hair is useless in this wind! I "could" go out after working with the girl's horse, but usually I've stepped in something or, at this time of year, reek of fly spray. Neither of which will make the fellow patrons of Adrianos happy! lol

DH still laughs at me over something that happened years ago back home. We'd come back from church and I'd changed into sweats for an uncharacteristically cold Memphis day - but forgot to take off my grandmother's pearls. He still teases me whenever I throw on sweats by asking if I'm really not going to wear my pearls with them to Walmart!
Well, Cheryl, I can appreciate your respect of others, that's for sure. I can also just imagine how the prim & proper women in the south would react to how a lot of things are here! Whenever I've seen you you have fit right in with the rest of the Wyomingites. It think you have adjusted very well!

Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 PM

8 posts, read 31,838 times
As a recent transplant from NC, I definitely feel that here in WY there is much more of an accepting do-your-own-thing attitude about clothes than there was in the South. (This also seems to be true about the kind of car you drive and the house you live in.) In general I find folks are less judgemental and more casual here, even at church. I've worn jeans to church here, without feeling the least bit conspicuous. On the other hand, this weekend I dressed up a bit, just because I wanted to!

That being said, there are some things my Mama taught me that I will never be able to shake off...

--You might be poor, but that doesn't mean you need to look raggedy.
--Pretty is as pretty does.
--If you can see through the skirt, you need to wear a slip.
--If your bra (slip, underwear) is showing, you are wearing the wrong kind of bra (slip, underwear) for that outfit.
--For goodness sakes, stop slouching!
--Pajamas & slippers are for wearing around the house, not to WalMart.
--If you dress like a prostitute, men will treat you like a prostitute.

I guess you can take the gal out of the South, but you can't take all of the South out of the gal! :-)

Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,284,543 times
one Summer Sunday we were getting into the truck for Church and some weekend home owners were jogging by , we were in suit and tie and dresses.... we heard one of them say "do you think they are Mormons?" we just smiled and went to church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: