Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times

Advertisements

One can encounter racism anywhere, but Wyoming is by and large a very accepting state. It's also touristy so lots of people from ALL walks of life come to see the natural beauty of Wyoming. Kudos for retiring early! You'll be fine.. (just don't call on Happy's doorstep, or you might get a luke-warm reception, at best)...plenty of good folks there who love the outdoors as you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,285 times
50yearold:

You wrote, (i can't even remember how many years i've worked 60+ hours a week, sacrificing holidays, making overtime pay so that I may retire early)

Dude - you only worked 60 hour weeks and got overtime pay? Dang! I got hosed! 60 hours was a short week for me and I haven't seen overtime pay since 1979!

Just teasing. Congratulations on thinking ahead and welcome to Wyoming.

Rescue3

Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50yearold View Post
I will be direct. I love WY, the natural beauty, the quietness, the remoteness. I'm a nature lover. I love fishing. I am thinking of moving to WY and settling down. I am 50, a short Asian man (5'6") with a little White blood in me that causes people to think I'm a light Mexican.

Will i be discriminated against? Will i stand out? Will I be the subject of subtle racism?

I just turned 50 and will retire and collect my pension. I am from Oakland, Ca.

With all the stuff you like I'd be happy to have you as my neighbor.

Tyster in Cheyenne

Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
As Shakespeare wrote, “I must be cruel only to be kind.” (Hamlet Act 3, scene 4)
What?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:44 AM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50yearold View Post
I will be direct. I love WY, the natural beauty, the quietness, the remoteness. I'm a nature lover. I love fishing. I am thinking of moving to WY and settling down. I am 50, a short Asian man (5'6") with a little White blood in me that causes people to think I'm a light Mexican.

Will i be discriminated against? Will i stand out? Will I be the subject of subtle racism?

I just turned 50 and will retire and collect my pension. I am from Oakland, Ca.
You'll be fine. No location gets by without having to endure a few intolerant bigots. Cody, WY shows more acceptance than most places - certainly more than where I came from which was a racially charged city. I have heard far fewer racist comments here than in most places I've been. Like anywhere, you're going to run into a few bozos. Fortunately, it's the bozos that get eyes rolled at them and not people who have a bit more exotic pigmentation.

I'd be glad to call you neighbor - unless, of course, you catch the fish that I was planning on catching.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
You'll be fine. No location gets by without having to endure a few intolerant bigots. Cody, WY shows more acceptance than most places - certainly more than where I came from which was a racially charged city. I have heard far fewer racist comments here than in most places I've been. Like anywhere, you're going to run into a few bozos. Fortunately, it's the bozos that get eyes rolled at them and not people who have a bit more exotic pigmentation.

I'd be glad to call you neighbor - unless, of course, you catch the fish that I was planning on catching.
Well, I would always say give it a try. I'm Black and if I happened to accept a job in Wyoming, I would give it a try myself. From what I've been told and learned, there is more of an individualistic culture in Wyoming.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I would always say give it a try. I'm Black and if I happened to accept a job in Wyoming, I would give it a try myself. From what I've been told and learned, there is more of an individualistic culture in Wyoming.
There really is!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
There really is!
As is the same for Montana. I see it as part of the culture in the Interior West. I would say to the OP, he should give Wyoming a try.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:03 AM

322 posts, read 587,282 times
This, from this morning's DRUDGE Report, really shocked me:

In a possible first and under heavy security, KKK and NAACP meet in Casper

Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Jas View Post
This, from this morning's DRUDGE Report, really shocked me:

In a possible first and under heavy security, KKK and NAACP meet in Casper
Apparently this meeting received attention all over the mainstream media but the unbelievable behavior of all of the participants makes it smell like a well-contrived hoax. We'll see. If it did happen it should become known as a meeting of quintessential nut cases of both races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming