Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM

3,636 posts, read 6,228,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Did you get a picture?
up in the Wyoming picture thread, was about 50 yards when we saw him , we got a lot of good picture before everybody came back to see what we were taking pictures of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 05:11 PM

10,238 posts, read 13,747,657 times
Nice pics!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:46 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,913,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
About five years ago we took a trip to Jackson in mid-November. It snowed lightly from Denver through Utah up by Flaming Gorge and on into Jackson. Our first full day was no snow and we drove as far as we could into Grand Teton NP. Elk in droves and singly were making there way to the elk preserve located outside Jackson. There were thousands of them but grouped into the usual segregated smaller herds of males and females.

I had pre-hired a wildlife photographer to take us around one day, and he turned out to be worth every penny of the $500 we paid him. We rode in his suburban, drank his coffee, and eventually he fed all five of us adults at one of Jackson's better establishments.

It was snowing off and on all day, sometimes heavily. He took us to the east side of the preserve and at one point we had to walk through snow to see three massive bull moose through the falling snow, from about 50 yards away. Altogether we saw about 30-40 moose, including a doe and her calf that ran alongside the suburban until they found a spot where they could veer off.

He took us on some back roads by a broken down shack that had played a small role in the filming of the 1950's movie, Shane, starring Alan Ladd as the good guy and Jack Palance as the hired gun bad guy. Then we went on up a dirt road where we spotted big horn sheep. The male was skittish and stayed back, but we took photos of the two females from 20 yards away. Our guide was ecstatic because he had time to set up his tripod for shots.

By the time we got back to the condo we were staying at just west of Jackson, the snow was coming down hard. We spent two days in the condo making chili, stoking the fireplace, reviewing photos and reading. It was wonderful. The snow quit the night before we were leaving. In the morning the condo's snow removal team had cleared the main path, but the wife and I still had to clean off our all-wheel drive Ridgeline and then shovel a path through 20 yards of snow in order to back out. Because the road straight down to Rock Springs was closed we had to alter our route home to go through Star Valley(?) and down to Kemmerer and on to Rock Springs that way.

Our only regret was in not scheduling a snow tractor ride through Yellowstone. But to this day, that winter trip rivals a two-week vacation in London, England a couple of years before.

A winter trip, with full expectation of the winter potential pitfalls, can be quite rewarding. But I would advise four wheel or all-wheel drive with some clearance.

Good luck
Your trip sounds wonderful, I was there a few summers ago and it was stunning but I would give anything to experience the parks in winter. I sometimes check the Jackson Hole webcam in winter just to see the snow.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:21 PM

3,636 posts, read 6,228,900 times
Quote:
Nice pics!
thanks , a lot of Yellowstone pic here
July 4th 2010 Photos by Jodywy | Photobucket

Bear And Bison Photos by Jodywy | Photobucket

Yellowstone 6-19-11 Photos by Jodywy | Photobucket

Yellowstone 7-9-10 Photos by Jodywy | Photobucket

Winter Yellowstone Photos by Jodywy | Photobucket
this has 6 sub files all January Yellowstone Pictures

Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,895,353 times
Quote:
Did you get a picture?
Yeah, he did. And then he went and hid them in the Wyoming Picture Thread.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:33 PM

10,238 posts, read 13,747,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Yeah, he did. And then he went and hid them in the Wyoming Picture Thread.
I got a chance to see them and they were great as always.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:53 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,230,238 times
I saw them also. Great pictures.
Scott

Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 AM

7,342 posts, read 12,567,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
About five years ago we took a trip to Jackson in mid-November. It snowed lightly from Denver through Utah up by Flaming Gorge and on into Jackson. Our first full day was no snow and we drove as far as we could into Grand Teton NP. Elk in droves and singly were making there way to the elk preserve located outside Jackson. There were thousands of them but grouped into the usual segregated smaller herds of males and females.

I had pre-hired a wildlife photographer to take us around one day, and he turned out to be worth every penny of the $500 we paid him. We rode in his suburban, drank his coffee, and eventually he fed all five of us adults at one of Jackson's better establishments.

It was snowing off and on all day, sometimes heavily. He took us to the east side of the preserve and at one point we had to walk through snow to see three massive bull moose through the falling snow, from about 50 yards away. Altogether we saw about 30-40 moose, including a doe and her calf that ran alongside the suburban until they found a spot where they could veer off.

He took us on some back roads by a broken down shack that had played a small role in the filming of the 1950's movie, Shane, starring Alan Ladd as the good guy and Jack Palance as the hired gun bad guy. Then we went on up a dirt road where we spotted big horn sheep. The male was skittish and stayed back, but we took photos of the two females from 20 yards away. Our guide was ecstatic because he had time to set up his tripod for shots.
Missed you by 6 weeks! We were there in late September 2008, and we also saw Ernie's cabin from Shane, except we had to find it ourselves. What a great trip...

Here's the cabin:

Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 PM

293 posts, read 561,245 times
Great time of year to go! More wildlife, combined with less people, as others have already stated. It's good to be prepared for a variety of weather -just because it was sunny when you left doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Flexible travel plans are also important, as park roads can close for an extended time during inclement weather. This can make point-to-point plans (i.e. staying in Jackson and then making your way to west Yellowstone) challenging. Always try to have a plan B. If you're relatively close by and flexible, then consider putting off travel planning until you're close enough that you can see the weather outlook (and even that can be inaccurate).

If you're planning travel in the coming days, be advised that a shutdown of the federal government seems imminent, which would result in closure of the park. If things are back up and running in a couple of weeks, then my wife and I are planning on spending a few days up there during my school district's fall break. Still trying to milk every last bit of that National Parks Annual Pass we got as a Christmas gift!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming