Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:12 PM

16 posts, read 42,010 times

Advertisements

Kele, You are spot on. I'm hoping my six year old daughter ends up going to U-Dub law school. Wyoming is what America was, God bless it, and keep it wild. Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,150 times
I’ve applied to UW. I’m 24 and have been away from school for a few years traveling the country side.One of the reasons I'm interested in UW is because I was told that there is a large student population of mid 20’s and I wouldn’t be alone in my age group as an Undergrad. Does anyone find this to be true? I’m currently at a state college in TN and most of my fellow students are young (19, 20ish). The town is much like the college as well, with most folks being very young. I know 24 isn’t that huge of a age difference however maturity is. And it makes a huge different in the dating world ;0

Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
My daughter & her husband are in Laramie for school and they love it there. They are very happy with the college. My son-in-law just got accepted into a really cool internship like thing that they offer in conjunction with the Wyo. Dept. of Transportation, called the Design Squad (he's in engineering). I know they have some really good programs down there. Although I was born & raised in Wyo I actually went to college in MT, so I don't have any personal experience to share, but my sister went there years ago and also loved it. I think it offers a really good education for a good price and I know that housing is pretty reasonable. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 AM

46 posts, read 364,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimijohnson View Post
I’ve applied to UW. I’m 24 and have been away from school for a few years traveling the country side.One of the reasons I'm interested in UW is because I was told that there is a large student population of mid 20’s and I wouldn’t be alone in my age group as an Undergrad. Does anyone find this to be true? ...

From what I understand, you will have a lot of company in your age group, and even much older. You might want to get in touch with the Non-Traditional Students Council for more specific info: UW Non-Traditional Student Council (http://uwacadweb.uwyo.edu/NTSC/ - broken link)

Old 01-03-2008, 10:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
My daughter & her hubby are 24/25. They have lots of friends there in their age group, both married and single. So I think you'd be fine

Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimijohnson View Post
I’ve applied to UW. I’m 24 and have been away from school for a few years traveling the country side.One of the reasons I'm interested in UW is because I was told that there is a large student population of mid 20’s and I wouldn’t be alone in my age group as an Undergrad. Does anyone find this to be true? I’m currently at a state college in TN and most of my fellow students are young (19, 20ish). The town is much like the college as well, with most folks being very young. I know 24 isn’t that huge of a age difference however maturity is. And it makes a huge different in the dating world ;0
I am what is known as a non-traditional student. There is a sizeable population of older students ranging from 20's up. We have our own student center within the Student Union at UW. You'd be very comfortable here.

What is your major? Many of the non-trads within the Anthro Dept. get together on a regular basis. Laramie is a very easy place to make friends. I've only been here since August and I have accumulated quite a social network.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,150 times
Yeah, I’ve not been accepted yet so keep ya’ll fingers crossed for me
I’m very interested in the school of Environment and natural resources but I’ve not declared a major on my application.
I have a plane ticket from the summer that I never used; it would only cost me about 100 dollars to transfer it to Wyoming. If I do get accepted, I’m going to come and check out Laramie. Does anyone have any advice on things to do while I’m there?
Also, is there public transit in Laramie? I really don’t want to rent a car.
But yeah, so far everyone that I’ve ran into in cyber space who say they’re from Laramie have been really helpful and very friendly so I’m really excited about making the transition in my life.
I’ve only been out west twice in my adult life. Once to New Mexico when I was 21 and once to San Francisco. I know that I can’t compare Wyoming to these places and expect to get an accurate picture of what Laramie might be like. I have a feeling that it’s not much different then where I live here in Appalachia, as far as friendliness goes.
Thanks for ya’ll help. I look forward to check out Wyoming soon.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:58 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,260 times
Default As a parent of college ager.....

I have not visited UW, but would like to say ONE THING (or two?). Having watched one child's transfer from out of state fancy schmancy private to a commuter State U, and going thru the search/application process EXHAUSTIVELY:

UW had the most helpful, least arrogant and rude, most REAL people in both administration and faculty positions. The head of a department talked to me twice willingly and informatively, none of that voicemail/go thru the student "campus job" know nothing (sorry), and one faculty member gave me her HOME PHONE NUMBER in case I had a question about the program over the weekend.

Because of the amt of distance from our home state, this was not an option at that time. The price is right for in state tuition, TOTALLY ECONOMICAL, and not that bad for out of state either, which might equal no student loans. I felt that they had some scholarship, financial aid $ to hand out and that there might (vs many other colleges where there is NONE for the white middle class....) be significant $ help on the basis of academic record, which is harder and harder to find these days.

It made me want to move to Wyoming, frankly, and I've thought about it ever since. We got the most wonderful letter, also, from the head of UW....totally the Western vibe thing (I have spent much time in Colo in the mountains but have not been back since late 90's). I realize it was "only" a letter, but it just summed up the helpful, non arrogant, totally productive process I felt was going on.....in admissions, anyway, and on the part of the actual faculty with whom I conversed.

ANOTHER FACTOR: If you can't find what you want in the course catalog, you're probably looking at Scuba Based Oil Painting. Very impressive.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 PM

16 posts, read 42,010 times
Hello,
Mimi, Laramie has a public transit system in place. It's called yourself. You can bike from one end of town to the other in 10 minutes. You can walk from Walmart to WYO Tech out on HWY 30 in 30 brisk minutes. I think that's great. It's population is under 30,000. For anyone considering moving here, I greatly suggest you come out and visit first. You might just love it, like a lot of folks do, but you may appreciate where you're at even more. Regards, kevreg

God bless Wyoming and keep it wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming