Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 AM

24 posts, read 40,050 times

Advertisements

I am researching jobs in Cody. While we were there a few weeks ago, I got some input from a storeowner. What I've heard a few times around the state as well is that if you have a trade, they are dying for people to work. Problem is that we as dairy farmers selling their 'job', if you will, would have no trade. I am also concerned about year round work, as Cody is a big tourist attraction and I'm sure brings in alot more work/income during the summer months. What happens in the winter for jobs? We have been on the wyoming at work website. But, from those of you out there, what is the reality of having a good year round income? If we need some schooling, what could my husband benefit from most- trucking, plumbing, welding, carpentry? any other ideas?
Thanks for any help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Here's the dilemmas:

there may ... or may not ... be skilled trades jobs available in various locations around the state. The extractive industries typically have more jobs than the local areas when they aren't in their "boom" portion of the housing/commercial building cycles.

But few of them are "entry level" jobs for someone fresh out of "schooling"; ie, the plumbers want experience, the carpenters want experience, etc. Folks with enough proven skills and experience that they can step in and take over projects with minimal supervision immediately. Hiring a trainee is generally a bigger overhead expense than it represents a positive cash flow to most of the smaller businesses around here. For example, I have a neighbor who is a general contractor and does everything from dirt work through complete turn-key buildings or residences or structures. He previously employed 14 experienced trades people, and tried to keep them busy year-round in SE Wyoming. He was running his butt ragged trying to supervise the various projects at the numerous jobsites at any given time. Two years ago, he fired everybody after a series of goofing-off or lackadasical work product which cost him a bunch of cost overruns. He now works by himself, using his heavy equipment and a couple of day laborers (labor ready) when needed. He's back to making more money than he ever did with his crews and all the projects, and he's in demand everyday that he wants to work. Same thing with another neighbor who is in the HVAC biz; he came out here to prepare for retirement, hired 4 techs, and had all the business he could handle. Only he wasn't making any money, he was working for his help. Fired them all, closed up shop, and moved closer to home as an employee for another HVAC contractor. He now makes more money and gets to be home 5-6 evenings per week with his family and his new employer knows that when he turns 66 years old that he'll be retiring to his union pension and other retirement income.

I had the same situation here in the automotive repair business. I moved here, having folded up a 35-year business down in Denver. I know what I need for skilled techs to support my business, and I tried to open up a modest shop here specializing in just a few makes which I believed were undersupported by the dealers here. Had lots of applicants, heard all the usual BS about fabulous skills and experience. It was just that ... BS. The longest anybody lasted that I could trust to do professional level work was a couple of days. Most knew when they'd really messed up and quit rather than me having to fire them. It turned into a bigger personal committment than I wanted to do. While I spend most of my time these days on my farm/ranch and traveling the area as a manufacturer's rep for industrial products, the word is out about my automotive work and I get more requests to do this than I can possibly handle. I pick and choose the projects and have a happy clientele. I'll never again have employees, don't want to go down that path again.

You must consider, too, that the year-round costs of living here in some of the desirable areas aren't met by wage-earning jobs, especially seasonal work situations. If you can't make the mortgage pymt, the insurance pymts, keep food on the table, have disposable income for time off from work and toys to enjoy that time ... it's just an existence, not a living. Few folk will do that for the long term, and they move on to places where the income/expense ratio for hourly wage earners is more favorable.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-06-2013 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM

185 posts, read 461,318 times
Sunsprit thank you for your post, it's insightful for me as I too, am looking to eventually move out to Wyoming.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
.You must consider, too, that the year-round costs of living here in some of the desirable areas aren't met by wage-earning jobs, especially seasonal work situations. If you can't make the mortgage pymt, the insurance pymts, keep food on the table, have disposable income for time off from work and toys to enjoy that time ... it's just an existence, not a living. Few folk will do that for the long term, and they move on to places where the income/expense ratio for hourly wage earners is more favorable.
I know many people in Cody who work two and three jobs to pay the bills. There are decent paying jobs in town if you are in the teaching, medical or financial sectors, but if not it would be best if you went to Cody with money. Or you will do a lot of "settling" - the type of home you will rent, the number of meals you will eat out etc.

I still remember going to the Cody Enterprise last winter to apply for a temporary job. It paid just above min. wage and in truth I hadn't had to work a minimum wage job in a very very long time. My resume told the tale of my management experience, but when I alluded to it during my interview the guy was unimpressed. As he said "yeah....but this is Cody and its a job".

Go in with eyes wide open if you do not already have an in-demand skill set and/or a dependable additional revenue stream (retirement etc.).

We loved Cody and loved Wyoming but couldn't justify the cost of housing. Even if we could afford to buy a house in Cody (or any of the surrounding communities) - which we couldn't - we couldn't justify the asking prices. We ended up buying a house 300 miles west, in south eastern Idaho for much, much less than it would have cost in Wyoming. Best of luck to you - Cody is a great town and Wyoming is a wonderful state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming