Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times

Advertisements

FYI

According to:

The 50 states of Obamacare - MarketWatch

The cost of obamacare in Wyoming is by far the highest of any state. That's disappointing.

The reason why: "Exchanges in states with few insurers participating tend to be the most expensive. For example, Wyoming, the most expensive, and Alaska, the second-most expensive, each have just two insurance carriers competing for customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Pretty sad...LOWEST cost $425 in WY for a 27 yr old (what a 'opportunistic' way to report...
""The HHS report is based on average costs for a 27-year-old, which are lower than what older people will pay. The overall state averages include everyone under 65, so younger Americans will likely pay less"

Consider what a 63 yr old couple might be paying!!! (that are not subsidized due to pre-retirement earnings)

WY is also among the LEAST subsidized states, as well as minimal VOTING influence to the lawmakers that dream this stuff up.

I see this program as being VERY good for insurance companies, and everyone else is gonna take it in the shorts (unless you are subsidized).

Old 09-28-2013, 02:27 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times
If they can't vote to defund it completely, what do you think of the option of "opting out" for a year to see how it goes? Our premiums in MN have already risen 65% (and the gov't peeps say MN has one of the lowest increases, still that's 200 more a month a 27 yr old will be paying.).... am not looking forward to seeing where this all pans out. Either you are da*n'd if you do, Darn'd if you don't. Also, I wonder about parents who are told they can put their kids back on their plans until age 26... what if they don't have the means to do so? Will they be mandated to?

Old 09-28-2013, 09:53 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
We had a thread about this some time back and I continually asked what we were going to do. Our legislatures voted to not accept it, a long time ago, and then forgot all about it. As a result, there was never any followup and finally we reached the point that Wyoming would just turn everything over to the Federal Exchange rates instead of pushing for our own here. So now we are at the mercy of the Nation's cost tables instead of any exchanges being created for Wyoming.

I have been in a pretty good discussion with a friend about it. She is all for it, and I am totally against it. So we have been argueing all of the points for some time. She likes it, but she has insurance and her insurance will cover her the rest of her life, so she will never have to research an exchange and actually utilize Obamacare and the exchanges.

The main thing that was ticking me off is that everybody kept saying that it starts in 2014. NO IT DOESN"T! Some parts of it started some time ago. This year, in January 2013, I started paying a penalty for not having Prescription Drug Coverage in 2012. Yeah, last year. I am a veteran and utilize the VA for all of my healthcare, so I am covered. Not according to them. They said I was a Vet from January until 31 March. Then the penalty started 1 April til December 31 of 2012. I payed it, then appealed it and asked them, "How could I be a vet Jan-March, and then suddenly become an Un-Vet in April?" They originally come back and told me that as a vet, I have to file every 90 days. During the appeal process, I was told that that was bad info given by somebody that shoud have known better, however, that still didn't stop the penalty's from rolling in every month. Finally, in July, I won the appeal and the independent company said that I was right, I should never have been penalized and that Social Security Disability, would be refunding the money's I paid in to the penalty. That was July. I will let you know when I actually get a refund on the money paid in.

On the Obamacare website, they say that Wyoming has to pay higher premiums due to the low population causing healthcare to be more expensive in Wyoming. My first thought was, how would they know, everybody goes to Billings, Denver, or Salt Lake City for major health care.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 PM

Here are the websites that offer some of the answers. One of these websites actually has the link so you can download all 974 pages of the Affordable Care Act, ACA.

Obamacare fact sheet.
ObamaCare Facts: Facts on the Obama Health Care Plan

Healthcare Exchange Guide.
Health Insurance Exchange Guide

I also found it interesting that Pre-Existing conditions will be covered, but yet, cost of your insurance is going to determined by, Smoking - Weight - Age, that can cause your coverage to be higher. Smoker being the highest addition that I have ever seen, making insurance almost double in cost for some folks.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:56 PM

I, too, have been arguing with a friend who is all for Obamacare saying that the "Status Quo" wasn't good enough (he's also for raising minimum wage to $15/hr (if that happens, why did I waste my money on an education if I could flip burgers for more pay??!!)

Yes, he also has insurance through his (liberal) government job and won't have to deal with exchanges either. Nice how they are all for something when it doesn't personally effect them (or if they can get exempted, as congress and other corporations have)... <shaking head sadly at the state this nation is becoming>....

Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Question..what ever happened to the Health Care Freedom amendment you all passed last year? Didn't that, in part, say that the feds could not collect penalties on those who opt out, or am I wrong?

On another note...anyone know anyone who has signed up or opted out in Wyoming...and what the costs are? There was one report saying that 70% of Wyomingites would qualify for subsidies to cover costs.... Just wondering. I did the plan perusal in our state of MN to see what it would cost to insure my hubby and myself... the deductible alone was 10,600 for the cheapest plan of $360/month. ... which I do not find "affordable."

Old 10-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Question..what ever happened to the Health Care Freedom amendment you all passed last year? Didn't that, in part, say that the feds could not collect penalties on those who opt out, or am I wrong?

On another note...anyone know anyone who has signed up or opted out in Wyoming...and what the costs are? There was one report saying that 70% of Wyomingites would qualify for subsidies to cover costs.... Just wondering. I did the plan perusal in our state of MN to see what it would cost to insure my hubby and myself... the deductible alone was 10,600 for the cheapest plan of $360/month. ... which I do not find "affordable."
You do know that Minn is the cheapest in the nation?

I mentioned it some time back, in another thread, our legislatures voted against Federal Insurance and Obamacare, but then sat on their hands until time ran out and now we don't have a state exchange to turn to.

Round figures. If you make $44k or more, you are at 400% of poverty level, which means you will see very little for subsidies to cover costs.

I downloaded the ObamaCare bill, that he signed into law, and now have it on my computer. I suggest you do the same. it is very interesting reading and with it on the computer, it also makes it very easy to dispel all the emails I keep getting from everybody that says, "Oh, Line 212, section 5, article 2 says their going to come into your home and take your guns away."

Having spent almost 30 years as a tech writer, this ObamaCare bill is the worst thing I have ever seen put together and it is exactly that, put together. It's like there were 24 different organizations writing 24 different chapters and none of them had a phone so they could check what the others had written. "Everybody submit their completed chapters on Thursday, by midnight, so the President can sign it first thing Friday morning while he's having coffee and smoking his cigarette."

There is an obamacare "Facts" website that I found kind of entertaining. In one paragraph it says that it starts on 1 January, 2014. In another paragraph, it says that the reason so much money was saved in 2009-2010 is because of Obamacare. Then another paragraph tells about requirements for medication coverage and if you don't have it, you'll get penalized starting in 2014. I was fined earlier this year for not having coverage for 2012. Huh?

Here you go, ObamaCare facts, dispelling the myths. ObamaCare Facts: Facts on the Affordable Care Act

I never thought I would say this, but I am stuck with Medicare and now the more I learn about ObamaCare, the more I realize that Medicare is the Platinum Plan of plans.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:48 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
EH, I haven't downloaded the bill ...

but my understanding is that it imposes a new 3.8% tax upon real estate transactions.

Not sure of the details, I heard that there was a threshold of profit that had to be met before the tax was applied to be paid by the seller.

But for those with long term capital appreciation in excess of 7-figures on some properties, that's a lot of dough to pay out from what was to be our retirement capital.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
EH, I haven't downloaded the bill ...

but my understanding is that it imposes a new 3.8% tax upon real estate transactions.

Not sure of the details, I heard that there was a threshold of profit that had to be met before the tax was applied to be paid by the seller.

But for those with long term capital appreciation in excess of 7-figures on some properties, that's a lot of dough to pay out from what was to be our retirement capital.
This section talks about it.

‘‘SEC. 1411. IMPOSITION OF TAX.
‘‘(a) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in subsection (e)—
‘‘(1) APPLICATION TO INDIVIDUALS.—In the case of an individual,
there is hereby imposed (in addition to any other tax
imposed by this subtitle) for each taxable year a tax equal to
3.8 percent of the lesser of—
‘‘(A) net investment income for such taxable year, or
‘‘(B) the excess (if any) of—
‘‘(i) the modified adjusted gross income for such
taxable year, over
‘‘(ii) the threshold amount.
‘‘(2) APPLICATION TO ESTATES AND TRUSTS.—In the case of
an estate or trust, there is hereby imposed (in addition to any
other tax imposed by this subtitle) for each taxable year a tax
of 3.8 percent of the lesser of—
‘‘(A) the undistributed net investment income for such
taxable year, or
‘‘(B) the excess (if any) of—
‘‘(i) the adjusted gross income (as defined in section
67(e)) for such taxable year, over
‘‘(ii) the dollar amount at which the highest tax
bracket in section 1(e) begins for such taxable year.
‘‘(b)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: