Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has noticed since Yellowstone/Grand Teton/ Devil's Tower National Parks are all in your borders. There are reports of "armed guards" keeping people out and other reports of people being detained. Anyone see/hear of anything along these lines ? Are they blocking "roadside" pull outs so you can't stop to see Devil's Tower, for instance, as they are in SD around Rushmore?

Not sure of the validity of the article... Gestapo Tactics, Senior Citizen Tourists Held By Armed Park Rangers In Hotel For Two Days | The Universal Free Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 PM

322 posts, read 587,626 times
What shut down?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,290,042 times
wife home from her job, we got a lot of work done this last week and last two day....she get to nurse till she goes back.... getting the shoulder cut open again , was just done in June and torn already

Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times
Your shoulder, Jody? Sorry to hear that. Do you have rotator cuff issues?

Take care of yourself!

lol Wm... though I do feel for those out of work, my daughter included. It's crazy if the allegations of "holding senior citizens hostage in Yellowstone" are true.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Out here in Hawaii here is what is closed, and the gates are chained shut.
On Oahu:

• All World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument sites, including:

- The USS Arizona Memorial
- The USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park
- The USS Utah Memorial
- The USS Oklahoma Memorial

All boat tours to the USS Arizona Memorial including the visitor center are shut down.

Lucky the,
The Pacific Aviation Museum, Battleship Missouri Memorial, both part of the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument at Pearl Harbor are not operated by federal government-budgeted staff and remain open.

The Naval shipyard was shut down, until yesterday. Everyone is back to work but will not get paid until a budget is passed.
May get shut down again if the debt limit is not raised before 17 October.
Scott

Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I can understand some of it, but it seems that a lot of the shutdown appears to be vindictive instead of sensible.

South Dakota has been very careful, through the years, to eliminate any "pull over area" around My Rushmore. Thus forcing you into the high priced parking lot. They said it was for traffic safety but I believe it was dollar driven. Force you to pay to park. Mr Rushmore is free and always will be free, so they made it so you have to pay for parking.

I have a friend who has a cabin on Forestry land. 99 year lease type thing. She inherited it from her grandparents, this summer. They hadn't done anything to the place for years. The forest service told her she needed to improve the place and they gave her a time line. So she has been trying to get it winterized and ready. They are keeping her from working on it. They posted a sign on the gate threatening tressoassing charges if she goes on there, sue to the shutdown.

In my eyes, The monuments, the parks, the memorials, all belong to "we the people". They don't belong to congress, senate, nor that sorry excuse for a president. "WE" own them and the Government is simply the property management group that we have hired to manage them for us.

Most of the memorials in DC are open air parks. Nobody mans them, except for park rangers there to answer questions. Yet, they have found enough money to effect fences and barricades and to quadruple the park rangers that instead of being furloughed, are now drawing overtime to make sure nobody walks through the parks.

In Wyoming, it is obvious that "we the people" cannot simply take a walk through the Forrest, without Government assistance that normally isn't there.

I think it is time to hire a completely different property management group to manage "Our" property.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,940 times
I agree EH...My daughter was working at Jenny Lake Lodge until Monday. The park service came in and told them on Sunday that they had to get out. They were in the process of closing up the buildings for winter and she told me they had barely got started. The buildings will now sit thru the winter without the "protection" from the elements that usually get done. More expense at the hands of our "management" just to make a point. Have a question...Do you think that this could be the beginning of the end of this great nation or are "We the People" finally going to get tired of this and say enough is enough. This is like watching a plane crash and "feeling" like we can do nothing! The Mrs. and I pray everyday.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,587 times
Well said EH. Everyone is just sitting around waiting but I think it is going to boil up and cause some bad things to happen. I think it is just the beginning. It's going to spread like a virus.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Spot On! EH

Old 10-09-2013, 02:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
Just a few tidbits I've gleamed from the news. Cody businesses are now seeing the negative effects of Yellowstone's closing. Some of them already closed for the season. The county projected how much they are losing in taxes as much of the park in in Park County (imagine that!). It is a big number. Heard on the Billings news that Montana is able to sustain some of their federal govt. "shared" jobs using reserve funds. That newscast said that they are better off than Wyoming in that respect. I was a little surprised as I have found that (financially) almost everything is better in Wyoming than Montana. Again, these are just stories I heard on the news. Some of them on Q2 out of Billings, some on KCWY out of Casper, if you want to research them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming