Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:51 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
(snip) I don't think it would be proper for a cyclist to carry a gun. Is there any advice out there?
You can play semantics games about weather all day long from the comfort of your residence in Germany, OC.

But the real "proof of the pudding" is to come visit Wyoming for awhile and see what presents for yourself and how it may/may not affect your recreational or bicycling expectations.

I won't belittle some of the major weather events that you have mentioned in Europe, but suffice to say that ... for the most part ... none of them would be a noteworthy event here in Wyoming, given the extremes of climate conditions that routinely present. A big difference is that the communities and population affected by such weather extremes here is minimal and most folk here are prepared for such events.

We're under a gorgeous clear sunny day today, blue skies, light winds now ... much the same as yesterday, although moderate winds ... warm air temps. Allowed me to finally get my hay baled up and ready to retrieve/stack tomorrow, with similar forecast conditions.

But check out the forecasts ... we're headed for some cold fronts coming through soon and back to cold temps, stronger winds, and snow flurries if the moisture makes it to us. Typical fall weather, and the deciduous trees haven't yet dropped their leaves, although that has started. Time to go fly up to the foothills and see if there's fall colors in the lower elevations ....

Ah ... carrying while outdoors. You'll find that most Wyoming outdoor folk carry all the time. I'd suggest that as soon as you qualify to legally do so as a Wyoming resident, that you do the same. There's no permit required for a resident within the state Wyoming, although you can get a concealed carry permit which has reciprocity with a number of other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 PM

786 posts, read 811,498 times
Well, thanks for taking the time to tell me about your Wyoming lifestyle. But I'd still like to know how a lone cyclist or pedestrian would be advised to cope with a bear or an elk in his way. For example, is there a means of not provoking them? And would an interaction of this sort occur about once in one's lifetime, or more frequently?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Well, thanks for taking the time to tell me about your Wyoming lifestyle. But I'd still like to know how a lone cyclist or pedestrian would be advised to cope with a bear or an elk in his way. For example, is there a means of not provoking them? And would an interaction of this sort occur about once in one's lifetime, or more frequently?
Not quite the same, but this past April when I was cycling within Yellowstone, I came around a curve and there were three bison walking down the road. I immediately stopped, which happened to be on the high side of the curve. They kept coming came straight on, also on the high side of the road; so I ambled over to the low side and just patiently waited for them to pass, (with my bike between me and them, as if that would have helped if they decided to get "up close and personal"). I realize that bison are fairly docile, but they have been known to get annoyed.

In general, wildlife will shy away from humans. Best thing to do is just stop and wait for whoever to pass by. Don't hurry about it, just slow and easy. Don't try to run or ride quickly away because that will kick in an automatic instinct response and you could be chased because you will be acting like prey that is trying to escape.

Once, several years ago, while out walking in the hills, I came upon a mountain lion, (also called a puma, panther, or cougar in other areas). Thankfully, it was mid-afternoon and he was in a dozing mood. I just stopped, watched him for a few minutes, (magnificent animals, they are), and slowly back away. No problems. I'd bet he, (or she), was at least 150 pounds.

Most important thing to always remember is that whatever the species, never come between a mother and her babies.

You'll not need a firearm, but bear spray or pepper spray could come in handy.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Pedestrians (or hikers) don't normally have problems with bears or any other Wyoming wildlife. If you spook a grizzly bear he'll turn on you; black bears would normally run. I met up with a giant brown (grizzly) on an Alaska hiking trail once. I stepped off the trail and repeated, "hi bear, hi bear, hi bear" until he ambled past me. He was close enough I could have reached out and touched him, but since I'm typing this you can be sure I didn't! Bears are nearly blind, by human standards, so they can easily be startled when they suddenly see you a few feet away. That's why you want to talk to them, so they'll hear you. Of course they have a powerful sense of smell, but if you're downwind from them that won't help.

Bears and mountain bikes don't mingle well. If you're walking down a trail and meet a grizzly, do as I described above. But bikers cover ground more quickly (but not as quickly as a bear can).

It depends on where you're biking. If on some trails in or near Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, I'd be very wary and carry some bear spray, but in most other parts of Wyoming bears aren't much of a problem. I've done my share of hiking in Wyoming and never came across a bear on a trail, even a black bear. I've never seen one on a Wyoming road either -- not even in Yellowstone.

Elk won't normally be a problem either. During the autumn rut the bulls can get very nasty, and you'd want to give them plenty of room if on a bike. I've seen them go after cars! Any other time of the year they're pretty mellow. If you come across one on the road, stop and wait for him to move on. Same thing with moose or bison. My son was biking through Custer State Park several years ago, and there where a herd of bison lounging on the road. He waited for someone to come along with a pickup and asked if he could get in the bed with his bike to get through the herd. Naturally they were happy to oblige.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,290,042 times
now mountain biking and Livestock Guarding dog(LDG) can have conflicts, and US89 south of Afton you can come onto range flocks with LGDs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming