Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 AM

17 posts, read 22,201 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Been trolling all the threads I can find on Gillette and Wyoming in general and have found about as much info as I possible can. (You guys are super informative!)

Now I have a few specific questions.

My SO has been offered a job at Antelope (haul truck) and we are still 'Dancing' with the idea of taking the job. What are the pros/cons of working at the mines? SO makes great money so it would be a pay cut but long term/retirement could be better in the long run.

We've been told it's stupid boring but someone said the haul trucks have satellite radio, true?

Are the buses to the mines free or fee?

I've noticed some of the members have rentals in the Gillette area. Does anyone have or know of any rentals with acreage for horses? If we stay long term it would be a couple/few years before we could buy a place. We are boarding the horses right now but there is no turn out anywhere in Gillette and I hate having them cooped up.

Have found some really great restaurants in town, Prime Rib, Chophouse, any others worth noting?

That's all I can think of for now, most everything else you guys have answered in previous threads.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:41 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Have found some really great restaurants in town, Prime Rib, Chophouse, any others worth noting?

Los Compadres

Old 11-09-2013, 08:10 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I live in Gillette and have done some contract work for the mines but have never been an employee. My son is a heavy equipment operator at one of them, and my next door neighbor just retired from one a couple months ago.

It's a good job. Unlike most heavy equipment operator jobs, it's very steady work. You'll know a year in advance what days you're working and what days you aren't. Benefits are good. My son had to have shoulder surgery in April or May (old sports injury) and is still on sick leave and drawing a good check (though not full pay). He'll have 6 months off, then have to pass a physical test to return to work. (If he fails, he's out of a job!!!) Medical insurance is good. He gets lots of days off and often takes some nice vacations during his 10-day-off stretch each month. We don't discuss income, but I'm sure if he wanted to, he could top $100K/yr with extra overtime if he isn't already. He doesn't volunteer for overtime, however, and he doesn't work holidays nor his birthday, iirc. If he did, it pays more than standard overtime, maybe triple time(?), but his wife has a good income, so time off is more important to them than extra income.

The mines encourage (demand?) that you learn other heavy equipment. I think most haul truck drivers are in their first few years of employment. As soon as you qualify on one piece of equipment you start training on another until you're qualified on (thinking) six different ones. Each one gets you a raise. IIRC it takes about a year minimum on each.

The down-side is that the days are long (12 hours) and it can get pretty boring, especially until you learn more equipment. It's a rotating shift, so that messes with the body and mind. And I think once each month you work 10 straight days. I can't tell you if the trucks have satellite radios or not. Haul trucks spend a lot of time in the pit, so I don't know what kind of reception they'd get.

I know of several vacant horse properties in the country but can't think of any for rent. I'd be surprised if there aren't a few.

The Chop House is excellent, huh! We like it too, and the last time we ate at the Prime Rib it was very good. My wife has a personal thing against Jordans (across from Albertsons), but I've heard the food is second to none. And there's a pretty good place out on Hwy 50 next to the UPS building, Skyline Grill. For a hearty sandwich and beer we like Humphreys and Applebees, or for a quick sandwich, Quiznos. Oh, and there's a little dive just west of the downtown called "The Coop". Their specialty is chicken. I've had their chicken pot pie a couple times. Yummy!

Last edited by WyoNewk; 11-09-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 09:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Don't forget Ma's Kitchen, it is still open right?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Granny's Kitchen? Across from the News-Record? I think it's still in business. They do have good breakfasts; can't say I've tried much else there in the last decade. It was really getting run down the last time I was there. It was needing some remodeling.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Granny's Kitchen? Across from the News-Record? I think it's still in business. They do have good breakfasts; can't say I've tried much else there in the last decade. It was really getting run down the last time I was there. It was needing some remodeling.
Not sure what the news record is. I'm talking about down at the depot.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Train depot? Lula Belle's Cafe! Now you're talking!

Lula Belle sold it probably 20 years ago, I think to an employee, but it kept the name and continues much the same as it was when she was running it -- family operation with good down home cooking, generous portions, great pies and always a sassy waitress. (It's like going to grandma's house.) A blackboard behind the counter states what's available. When they run out of one of the specials of the day, it gets erased from the board.

I don't know when you were there last, EH, but it's not the same little tiny white building from the 70s. IIRC the railroad built this new brick building, maybe twice the size of the old one, in some kind of land swap. (There's actually room for a few tables now!)

For those of you who don't know about this little gem, it's at the north end of Gillette's downtown main street, Gillette Avenue, right next to the railroad tracks. If you don't appreciate the aroma of cooking grease, cigarette smoke and local politics in the air, stay away.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:09 AM

Yeah, that's it. When I was hauling railroaders, I always looked forward to an early morning run to Gillette. We called the owner, Ma and the railroaders would always say, let's stop at Ma's for breakfast. Didn't know it had any other name. hahaha

I was last there in 05 or 06 and the I think the new building was already up. Busy place and outstanding breakfast. Never went in for any other meals, so I can't comment on those.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
We couldn't take eating there due to it smelling so much like cigarette smoke.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
We couldn't take eating there due to it smelling so much like cigarette smoke.
Bingo!

I tried going there with a client last year and couldn't even make it past the front door fumes wafting out.

A total non-starter for me.

Got the same problem with a supposedly great restaurant in Sheridan, among others around the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming