U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 AM

37 posts, read 149,453 times

Advertisements

Can somebody tell me about Star Valley? I'm concerned with the LDS religion and the relationship with schools and the community. Not being LDS and living in Utah, I have first hand experience in how the LDS discriminate against you. I need to know if this is the same in Star Valley, Wyoming, or if all faiths are embraced? In Utah they separate your kids if you're not LDS. Plus, they have seminary..only LDS right next to the public school.so if you're kid is not LDS, then you are separate and not equal. I've found that LDS folks from outside of Utah are more accepting and tolerant.

Otherwise, I love the Star Valley area.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 12:56 PM

610 posts, read 3,093,898 times
Thomas, the LDS influence is traditional and very strong all over Star Valley and west into Idaho. There was a book written long ago called "The Saints of Snowville" which was a dis on this influence, written by a Star Valley resident who changed the name in the title for self-protection.
However - there's good news too - Star Valley is in Wyoming! Remember Wyoming? State Motto (unofficial) "Welcome to Wyoming. We don't give a **** how you did it back home".
While a lot of money has moved into Star Valley the last many years, old-school still prevails, Hope you don't need to work for a living or that you have a job lined up - not much has changed in that regard. Property values are high. Few rentals. Winters at 45 below zero. Depends on your location but usually, unless you're on the west side of the valley - no direct sunlight for at least 3 weeks.
Also must consider that Star Valley is in Lincoln County - and the county seat is in Kemmerer - a good 2 hour drive. Although they have spread the services as much as they can, having a western base of operations, the real business still gets done at Kemmerer.
Montpelier Idaho is slightly freer - although still heavily influenced - but affords you access to Bear Lake, Logan, etc.
Good luck with your pondering.
If you're trying to escape the LDS influence, you've got to get at least halfway across Wyoming (Riverton/Rawlins) or be able to afford to live in Jackson.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM

37 posts, read 149,453 times
Default star valley

thanks for the info. and perspective. While there are many positives about the LDS faith, I've found that the high concentrated areas often intermingle faith with everything else. While I respect one's faith, I don't think one single faith should dominate over everything else. I've seen people be excluded and the LDS faith in Utah controls everything. If Star Valley is like this, then I really don't want any part of it. Please advise....thanks.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM

610 posts, read 3,093,898 times
Well Thomas; no matter where you go, there is going to be an influential sector in the religious arenas, be it Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Agnostic, United Brethern, Calvinist, etc., etc.
While it frees things up "a tad" for there to be several agents vying for control ... we never outrun the traditional. Even here in the nearly-free state of Oregon, the 7th-Day Adventist line of thought has powerful sway in some of the coastal towns ... and elsewhere. Heavy contingent of settlers from Germany, Switzerland, etc.
Even when people back off from their religious upbringing, it's still there - in the psyche so, in an area predominantly Baptist, those Baptist morals and tenets and psychologies are going to continue even at the bar, even in the governing bodies, even in the drug-dens.
It'll be the same with Mormon areas. Folks are folks and no matter how they may try, they never quite outrun themselves.
Jackson has tried to shed that exterior - and many folks there came from somewhere else ... there are plenty of "other" churches there - but one must know that the original area of Mormon influence covered parts of many states, i.e, UT, NV, AZ, NM, CO, ID, WY, MT and even into CA. They didn't stop there either but you can expect to find their presence and a bit of their influence all over that area ... and even all over the world. It's not such a bad thing. For one, they dress better than some other "poorer" religious groups. However, all over the areas I mentioned above, you can find an undercurrent of depression. As with all religions, there is an inner turmoil that reflects the "down side" of that group's values - and if you spend years looking for it, you'll find it.
If it helps, there are plenty of folks who aren't Mormon in the area you're exploring. The main problems as I see them are temperatures and the job market - and being about 100 miles from any sort of "shopping" ... The West is not for everybody - and it's not the Mormons' fault.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 12,341 times
do you know where i may find a copy of the book, the saints of snowville

Old 03-20-2009, 06:07 AM

380 posts, read 849,268 times
I live in Star Valley. I don't have kids but work with people who grew up here and are not LDS. I don't think it is the problem others make it out to be. These same people who grew up here are now raising children who are not LDS( very much not) and using the same school system. They love it here and have no problems with the system. I am not LDS.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:34 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,738,024 times
This post is a year old folks Feel free to start a new post...

Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 10,863 times
I am the author. The book in out of print. It is sometimes available on rare-book forums at a cost of around $150-$250. The book is fictional with the stories of many people wolven into the fabric of a few characters. I am a life time resident of Star Valley and I am LDS. I no longer live in Star Valley but go home many times a year. I have lived all over the US as well as much of Europe. Star Valley is beautiful but challanging as others have noted. Indeed the two main problems are jobs and winter. Spoke with my brother yesterday 18 April and he was using the plow on his truck to clear his driveway so he could get to work. Best of luck.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:49 PM

380 posts, read 849,268 times
We have not plowed our driveway since mid March. We did have 8 inches of snow about a week ago but it was gone by the afternoon, No need to plow.

I think he was telling you a story.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 PM

1,319 posts, read 3,868,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
We have not plowed our driveway since mid March. We did have 8 inches of snow about a week ago but it was gone by the afternoon, No need to plow.

I think he was telling you a story.
You're kidding?
How does that much snow melt that fast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming