Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I make the trip to Jackson this year given my knee injury
Yes - there's plenty of terrain for it to be worth it! 2 100.00%
No - the expert terrain is the entire reason to come! 0 0%
Other (explain in comments) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

I'm coming off of an MCL injury (grade 2 sprain) in July. I'll be seeing my doctor on Dec 16th, but even if I'm cleared to ski, I'm wondering, is it worth coming out to jackson the season after an injury? Basically, I doubt I'll ski any of the more difficult terrain, but isn't that the whole point of Jackson? Will me being mentally tentative make this a wasted trip? I can always come again in the future, so is there any reason to do it this year? I can get hurt anywhere, but I can also go to many places and have a large selection of regulat intermediate/expert terrain to enjoy. From what I hear about Jackson, the whole point is the highly difficult terrain that I just don't know if I'm mentally prepared.

Any feedback from locals is highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 12:39 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I'd not want to be making a major ski trip anywhere until I'd had a chance to confirm that my physical and mental skills were back up to snuff.

With the option to come out west another time, what's the rush?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I'd go to Sunlight. There's a two mile beginner slope that's very pleasant as well as more advanced runs if you get into the mood. If you decide you need world class skiing it's less than forty miles to Aspen.

Sunlight Mountain Statistics

Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I'd not want to be making a major ski trip anywhere until I'd had a chance to confirm that my physical and mental skills were back up to snuff.

With the option to come out west another time, what's the rush?
the "rush" is that that's where my friends who are planning a trip want to go. lol. i'm gonna do a trip somewhere to ski 4-5 days, so if not there, it might just be to vermont or maine or something like that. (i live in NJ)

Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I grew up skiing Teton Village (and Snow King, and Grand Targhee... vastly preferred Targhee back then), and in recent years I've had the unfortunate bisiness of helping my wife through her knee issues... she's had 4 ACL surgeries (3 were because of a terrible first Dr) and just tore it Again about 6 weeks ago. Even as a GA born/raised gal who started skiing in her mid 20's, she didn't have much issue getting past the mental aspect when skiing without an ACL at all, much less once it was repaired.

Jackson certainly has some of the best "steep-n-deep" in the US, but there is NO lack of nice long groomers. Seems a shame to pay the price to stay in Jackson/ski Teton Village and stick to that stuff, but you'll not want for variety. And if it's really about enjoying a trip with your friends (are they gonna ditch you after first chair?), why not? It's just money, so long as the money spent is disposable anyway, go for it.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the "rush" is that that's where my friends who are planning a trip want to go. lol. i'm gonna do a trip somewhere to ski 4-5 days, so if not there, it might just be to vermont or maine or something like that. (i live in NJ)
Sounds to me like you're setting yourself up to push yourself to the limits; ie, skiing with friends who aren't likely to head to Jackson to ski the mellow stuff ...

Only you can judge if you're healed up enough to take on this challenge or if it's worth the expense to come out here and find out that you're not ready for the challenges.

If you've got the disposable income to find out, c'mon out.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Jackson does indeed have many easier slopes, but if you take the gondola to the top, you'll find that first step a doozy. Stick to the chair lifts at Jackson until you're ready for expert terrain. I agree with Brian that Grand Targhee is a mighty fine intermediate mountain. I took my kids there once when they were little. (They're now 40 & 43!) It was great ski mountain then. As I recall, it normally gets more snow than does Jackson Hole Lodge.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 PM

Well, it would be a group of 4. 2 of the guys will hike and ski pretty much anything. I would normally be skiing with them 90% of the time. Some things they do just aren't for me, but I can pretty much ski anywhere. The other guy is a newer skier, and he's gained expert skill but still isn't a true expert...if that makes sense to you guys. So i don't have to ski with people who would push my limits, and I won't be ditched. I find out from the doctor in a few days if I'm 100%. If i'm not, I don't go for sure, but if I am, i am fine taking a trip, but just always had it in my head that the entire reason to go out to Jackson was for the steeps.

Brian - sorry for your wife. I had an ACL reconstruction in 2010. Recovered very well from it. My sister is a PA for an ortho surgeon, so he did the surgery. Great doctor, but Philly is probably a bit too far for your wife. lol

I guess if i'm skiing with approval from the doctor, i'm gonna go anywhere i want. i always have the donjoy brace for the psychological aspect...so maybe i'll just leave it up to the doc and take it from there. I don't want to miss going to jackson...this is the group i ski with and if they go without me (i don't think they will as the group has shrunk too small for it to be cost effective for 3 to go if i'm out), then I likely won't have a chance for a while.

thanks for the input everyone. any tips for where to stay or local secrets would be great, in case i get the all clear.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:01 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
It's been a couple decades since I last skied there, so no recommendations on where to stay. And all the "locals-only" secrets I knew, are either the most commercial places there or no longer in existence. If you enjoy a well crafted beer though, do make sure you get into town to grab a few drinks and some food at Snake River Brewery. I know their sister business in Lander MUCH better (Cowfish), but they share recipes/brews and have won a number of awards. The Rye was always my favorite...

And don't worry to much about my wife, she's in better shape/stronger right now than she was immediately before the accident (slipped out of the bed of a truck while unloading yard debris, has been doing PT non-stop since then). We're still spending 2 months in Montana at Showdown - Home (my folks have an empty house 15 miles away). I probably spent less on a season pass there than you will on 4 days of tickets at Jackson Granted, nothing too steep, but I'm good with cruising blues 90% of the time anymore. I had my time of being wild (back in my 20's), heck I did Corbet's for the first time when I was still in high school.

Anyway... best of luck with getting the all clear to ski and I hope you enjoy it should you get the chance this year. If not, take the money and put it into a trip with more skiing for the dollar spent to build up the confidence/endurance and plan again for next year. Though it's already looking like this is going to be a Great snow year out west...

Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
It's been a couple decades since I last skied there, so no recommendations on where to stay. And all the "locals-only" secrets I knew, are either the most commercial places there or no longer in existence. If you enjoy a well crafted beer though, do make sure you get into town to grab a few drinks and some food at Snake River Brewery. I know their sister business in Lander MUCH better (Cowfish), but they share recipes/brews and have won a number of awards. The Rye was always my favorite...

And don't worry to much about my wife, she's in better shape/stronger right now than she was immediately before the accident (slipped out of the bed of a truck while unloading yard debris, has been doing PT non-stop since then). We're still spending 2 months in Montana at Showdown - Home (my folks have an empty house 15 miles away). I probably spent less on a season pass there than you will on 4 days of tickets at Jackson Granted, nothing too steep, but I'm good with cruising blues 90% of the time anymore. I had my time of being wild (back in my 20's), heck I did Corbet's for the first time when I was still in high school.

Anyway... best of luck with getting the all clear to ski and I hope you enjoy it should you get the chance this year. If not, take the money and put it into a trip with more skiing for the dollar spent to build up the confidence/endurance and plan again for next year. Though it's already looking like this is going to be a Great snow year out west...
it's great in the northeast already too. my "home" mountain - a little dinky one in Pennsylvania - already opened last week. Earliest it's opened in years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming