U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 23,581 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from Atlanta GA to Wyoming. I'm tired of the hot weather here. Which city would do you think would be better for my situation?

I am looking for a house to rent for under 1k a month.
Would Cheyenne have a lot more options since it is a little bigger?

**Is there a noticeable difference in the weather during summer between the two cities? I'm looking for much cooler summers. Does it get hotter in Cheyenne? Would I still need a sweater at night in August in Laramie and not Cheyenne? **

I am 26 so I would like to meet someone eventually. I know there is a college in Laramie. But other than that the only ideas I have of the cities are images I saw on google of old looking ghost towns with tumble weeds rolling down the road. I have only driven down that part of I 80 at night passing through. Is Cheyenne a lot more active in terms of singles?

I'm really trying to escape the summer heat and from what I read Wyoming is one of the only states that might actually stay cool during summer besides expensive West coast states. I loved the parts of Wyoming I went through and I'm sure there are a lot of trucking companies hiring people from the area. I know the winters can be rough and that doesn't bother me. Any other advice?

Thanks ,
Jon
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 PM

675 posts, read 990,641 times
You'd be better off in Cheyenne in my opinion. I lived in both and Laramie is really tough in terms of finding work unless you work for the university. Cheyenne has more options but keep in mind that Cheyenne is the biggest city in the state and it only has a population of 61,000 people so it's not that big. Wyoming is beautiful and the winters can be brutal and long. There were a few years when I was there that the winter lasted from late Sept. (mild snow) to April and it even snowed in the mountains on July 4th, although that's rare.

Make sure that you have a job lined up before moving because as I mentioned it is tough to find one. If you like that part of the country you may also want to consider Ft. Collins or Denver, CO as well as Flagstaff, AZ, they all have milder climates without humidity. Ft. Collins and Flagstaff. Flagstaff is slightly bigger than Cheyenne and Ft. Collins is considerably bigger.

The summers in Cheyenne and Laramie reach highs of 80s and no humidity, they truly are perfect days and nights.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 AM

9,404 posts, read 12,072,191 times
Omaraz gave some good advice on here. One thing I would like to add is that wind is something that will take some getting used to in the winter. That affects most of Wyoming.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,436 posts, read 50,679,622 times
You are in for a change... BUT... consider all options! I consider Cheyenne too hot and dry for summer (Same as Denver / Front Range Colorado). Quite honestly... you will notice 9 months of BROWN in Cheyenne region. That might be a bit much of a change. Cheyenne is cheaper rents and more jobs, but further to recreation. (Than Laramie)
(I did nightly DEN / CHEY / ROCK Springs / and or Buffalo, WY / Rapid City, as a college trucking job for 7 yrs... I enjoyed it and it paid well, but it was not ez). Did someone say WIND ?!!! you will be 'hanging-on-for-dear-life' for 10hrs / day. You will drive all day in the winter and never see the road (ground blizzards).

Probably the best 'cool' SUMMERS in USA are in PNW and there are LOTS of trucking jobs on I-5. (Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, and Portland and Vancouver WA) But of course it RAINS all winter... on the west side of Cascades. Clear weather is 1 hr east. (Spokane... 5 hrs east, has lots of trucking jobs too). As does Missoula, MT (That would be my choice if a young single 'trucking' guy wanting NICE single life and great 'outdoors' habitat, and GREAT trucking runs).

BTW... I live VERY inexpensively in income tax free SW WA, 20 minutes from Portland Airport. I bought another rural home with acreage and shop for $86k last yr, close by. Feed a family on $100/month groceries, utilities are $80/month in a big house (Property taxes high on it, but not on my new house). Rents are ~ $800. Wages are good, (west coast average). Year round gardening possible.

Get a trucking job with Boeing and you will be doing great (They run daily trips around PNW). Bonneville Power (USAjobs) is another great driving job (Each are near $40/hr with generous OT). Std Trucking jobs in PNW are ~$20/hr. (non-union). Both Freightliner and PACCAR run new truck testing labs out of PNW, so you drive a new truck every night (+/-). You go Up and DOWN hills all night with a 105,500# load, and the computer spits out your success.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-31-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 05:35 PM

16,791 posts, read 46,327,273 times
Laramie //www.city-data.com/city/Laramie-Wyoming.html

Cheyenne //www.city-data.com/city/Cheyenne-Wyoming.html

Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM

16,791 posts, read 46,327,273 times
Cheyenne

Median gross rent in 2011: $689.
Houses:
23,798 (22,282 occupied: 14,745 owner occupied, 7,537 renter occupied)
% of renters here:34%

Read more: //www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz2pjVydY1W

Laramie

Median gross rent in 2011: $687.
Houses: 12,001 (11,375 occupied: 5,405 owner occupied, 5,970 renter occupied)
% of renters here:52%

Read more: //www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz2pjWYCd85

Lots of good data on the City-Data pages... //www.city-data.com/

Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM

3,278 posts, read 4,851,683 times
My pick is Laramie, it's much more cosmopolitan and feels larger. Cheyenne feels very industrial in comparison.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 11,668 times
Laramie is about 1,000 feet higher in elevation than Cheyenne and the temperatures reflect that.

Other posters who emphasize that you need to get a job lined up before you move are probably right, although unemployment in Wyoming is generally quite low. There is fierce competition for jobs in Laramie because of the University.

Also, you have to be prepared for the wind. As a Wyoming native who lived in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic for over ten years, I can assure you that the wind, rather than the cool temperatures, is the dominant weather feature that will impact what you do each day.

At age 26, single and looking, I think your decision will come down to whether you want to meet someone with a university background or not. Cheyenne does not have a large population of single, college-educated professionals. This fact had some influence on my decision to leave the Cheyenne area a couple years after I graduated from the University of Wyoming in Laramie. Now that I am married, the Cheyenne social scene fits my life much more comfortably.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 PM

3,278 posts, read 4,851,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoExpat View Post
Also, you have to be prepared for the wind. As a Wyoming native who lived in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic for over ten years, I can assure you that the wind, rather than the cool temperatures, is the dominant weather feature that will impact what you do each day.

The wind is pretty strong, but there is at least one good side effect. As an allergy (pollen) sufferer, I have found that I am not nearly as bothered in Laramie as in other regions because the wind blows the pollen out of town.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 PM

4,204 posts, read 3,293,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoExpat View Post
How does the wind in Cheyenne honestly compare to the upper midwest? Wisconsin gets pretty windy in the spring & winter, especially in treeless rural areas or next to Lake Michigan when wind is out of the east, but less windy I'm sure than Laramie or Cheyenne.

Is the wind in Cheyenne & Laramie constant year around or is it mostly strong in winter and spring?

I looked at weather history for the past week only on wunderground & it looked pretty similar when I compared Cheyenne to a rural Wi town. I mostly looked at wind gusts & both locations got up to mid 20's mph gusts on some days. A week doesn't tell the story though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming